About

Author D Wallace PeachI didn’t care for reading as a child – I preferred Bonanza and Beverly Hillbillies reruns, Saturday morning cartoons and the Ed Sullivan show. Then one day, I opened a book titled The Hobbit.

Tolkien … literally changed my life.

I love to write. It’s a luxury I never expected I’d have time for – life got in the way. You know how that goes – kids, work, chores… sleep. I worked for 18 years in business where amassing coin was the all-consuming objective. It required huge amounts of time and mental energy. And for me personally, it was soul-slaying.

Then on September 11, 2001 two planes flew into the World Trade Center. I was working in Connecticut, about 2 hours from ground zero, and remember sitting in a conference room, watching the second tower fall. That tragedy initiated a process of redefinition for me, an evaluation of what was vital and important. Life felt short and precarious, and I started to wonder if it was time to do something that actually mattered.

In a moment of loving kindness, my husband suggested that I quit my job and go back to school (he still wonders what he could possibly have been thinking). I graduated with a Masters in Counseling and a mountain of debt. Oh well. I worked in Burlington, Vermont for peanuts – but, oh, they were chocolate covered! The human experience was sweet and rich. I had the pleasure of working with people who cared deeply about the challenges facing children and families, and I came to understand how the power of relationship, in all its myriad forms, can change the world. In Myths of the Mirror it is called the Belonging.

Then life got in the way again, and Randy and I made a move to Oregon. In another regrettable moment of loving kindness, he suggested that I write a book rather than work, and Myths of the Mirror poured onto the keyboard.

We live in the lush, wet, green wilderness a half hour beyond the edge of civilization in a wonderful community where, once again, I encounter the Belonging. Myths of the Mirror has evolved, changed, grown, shrunk, tightened, and finally come to rest. It has been a labor of love and I hope you enjoy it.

228 thoughts on “About

1. Wow what an amazing story. I must say your about section inspires me to ask what is important.
    I’ve recently published a fictional book on parenting and I was just having a look around for like minded individuals who love expressing themselves through letters 🙂

• Thanks so much for the lovely comment. This is mostly a “writing” blog, but I’m here as a result of that journey. I will always value human beings over stuff and it’s made for a much happier life. 🙂 Good luck with your book!

2. Morgan says:

♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ Singing Your Praises for all you do Because Youre Awsome ♪(・o・)♪ this #ThankfulThursday ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♪ Thank You for your Kind Support !

3. Very happy to discover your blog and its rich substance and relatable references (thinking now of Tolkien…). Thank you for visiting my blog – wishing you a beautiful and healthy New Year. Many greets from Berlin!
    Luiza

4. I liked your blog, 😀I invite you to my blog:

5. What a beautifully written, detailed and inspiring ‘about’ page! I loved reading it. Thank you for sharing, and for being in touch. I look forward to catching up with your blog and stories, and reading much more. 🙂

6. mwritesx says:

You seem like such a lovely person and gifted writer. Thanks for putting it all out there!

7. Oh, yes. I do remember this bio. And it really is fantastic. 💖

8. Chris says:

Hi Diana
    I popped in to your blog after reading a comment of yours on another blog, and I must say I was very inspired by your ‘about’ page. I found it very interesting reading about the events that have changed your direction in life for the better. Sometimes it can take an unbelievable event or a simple happening to make us stand back and take stock of our life (I’ve been doing a lot of that lately, as recorded in my blog)
    I look forward to following you and reading more
    Regards Christine

• Thanks for the lovely comment, Chris 🙂 I think you are so right about those key moments that open our eyes or shift our values. They can be gigantic or very subtle, and extremely powerful in both cases. Thanks so much for the visit. I’ll be over to say hi and learn more about your journey ❤

9. Green Global Trek says:

What a wonderful introduction to you and your blog. So happy to have found you as a fellow blogger.

I do think that when we experience the tragedy of lives or a life cut short, it really does put things into perspective. My brother died tragically at a young age ~ he inspired me to live life to the full.
    Peta

• I’m so sorry for the loss of your brother. I also lost a brother and it had a profound effect on me. It’s one of the few events in my life that I really wish I could go back and undo. Thanks for the visit and I’m delighted to connect 🙂

10. Very Inspiring. Thank you.

11. Dina says:

It’s a great pleasure to meet you, Diana!
    Best regards, Dina 🙂

12. tickofaclock says:

Clearly, the beauty of writing is a win-win. The chances of landing on a fruitful article is just the same chances of bumping into the exceptional and the brilliant. Specially when they write the perfect words that are pleasant. Surely you are a beautiful person inside and out. Thank you for inspiring me today!

13. Lovey says:

I can’t thank you enough for visiting my blog. Because Now I have found yours. I am about to binge-read this beautiful Blog. I am in awe of you. I shall read more from you. 🙂

14. rockalot1 says:

What a great story! You made some profound changes in your life and realized some rich rewards. Good for you! Thanks for the visit and the following at my new site!

Rock

15. Cezane says:

You truly have a beautiful Blog dear. In deep awe of your writings, I shall always stay tuned!

16. Hello Diana..I am happy that you followed my Blog..so I could find and follow you back. I find it a moment of bliss whenever I met a beautiful soul through their writing. I love the way you approach life..I’m looking forward to know more of you…and your books.
    I’m a newbie in this blogging world but its awesome when you have the chance to touch someone else’s life by what you’ve written or even what’s you’ve shared.
    Thank you for the inspiration.

P.S. What a yummy wallpaper–I love peaches..looks so fresh !
    Cheers from Germany !~Christina

• Thanks, Christina. I’m happy to connect. Welcome to blogging! You seem to have a good handle on what it takes, which is just to engage, make friends, and have fun. It’s really not that complicated and the community here in blogland is friendly and supportive. Thanks for stopping by! Have a wonderful weekend 🙂

17. Hi, D. Thank you so much for writing this about page. It’s really comforting to me to read your story, while I struggle a bit with my own. For me a cancer diagnosis last year inspired me to work toward my dream of getting off of disability and earning a living with my comedy.

I wrote about that on my site here: http://www.woohooligan.com/2016

I set a goal to get it done in a year and then the year I picked (2016) turned out to be one of the hardest years I’ve had and I’m five months behind on my goals… so it’s been real tough to keep my head up, and reading this helped. 🙂

Thanks. [hug]

• Thank you for the comment, Samuel, and I’m so glad that you got something personal from my story. I tend not to set time frames for myself as success with writing isn’t entirely in my control. So enjoying the journey has become my goal in all parts of my life, and it’s a daily task. I hope you are beating your cancer and taking steps toward your goals, but be kind to yourself too and find things about each day that fill you and make you happy 😀

• Samuel Dealey says:

Thanks, D. [nod] The cancer fortunately is well in hand. 🙂

I don’t set much in the way of goals for myself when it comes to the writing to be honest — I have a decent idea of how long it takes to do the illustration for a frame or a page. The goals I set for the year were more about marketing and earnings. I declared that I would work at least 40hrs/week toward the goal (between a combination of self-promotion and creative work). Maybe it wasn’t the best idea for me to choose to assign a time frame for a specific amount of earning, but to be honest, imo that’s how any other career path would work and I felt like the goals would have been reasonable if not for having to take a lot of time out for three months to help my mom move across country when I found out she’d been mugged and a neighbor’s son had been shot and killed in her neighborhood in Dallas…

What I mean is, if I were pursuing any other career, then the financial goals I set for myself would have actually been laughable, because the goal I set only had me reaching even minimum wage after about 8-9 months worth of daily self-promotion. If it were just about the money, I could get to that point in a matter of days by walking down the street to the Waffle House, but I don’t dream of earning my living that way. If I were to pick a career at random, say accounting, I would expect a minimum of minimum wage on day one and then I would expect a raise at least every 6 months as long as someone else were employing me. And I’m coming at this knowing that my hourly rate for software engineering work (that I’ve done for 20 years) is already $80/hr. But I was willing to put that all aside and work for many months for $1-2/hr on the work that was important to me. 😀

And I do. Even when things are hard, I find joy. Hard to be a comedian without that. 😉

18. Miracle :) says:

Hey !

You have been nominated for Three Day Quote Challenge. Here is the link :

Obviously, you are not obligated to participate, but I hope you’ll accept the challenge.

From,
    Miracle 🙂

19. Ana says:

Hi! I wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award: https://anaslair.wordpress.com/2016/06/25/the-versatile-blogger-award/

Please don’t feel obligated to follow through, I know it can be tough as I have not done this in probably over a year, but I wanted you to know that I appreciate your blog.

Have a great weekend! 😀

20. Hi Diana, Judy said she made you smile, so I came to say hi. I didn’t realize you were D. Wallace Peach, till I got here! We’ve met before.
    Life is certainly more important than coin accumulation!!

21. It’s not often I run across people in the blogosphere who’ve lived in Vermont. I’ve lived in Vermont all my life. I’m looking forward to reading more of your writing.

22. This is too much fun! I feel like a born again bible thumper needing to tell every sentient being what i found. 🐙

23. Welcome on board! Thank you so much for following my blog.Your following is an honour.

24. I’m so glad to discover your blog!!! Absolutely inspiring and soul stirring.

25. Reading this gave me goose bumps, and made me smile. Thank goodness for moments of loving kindness… That is probably when all our best decisions are made in life, wouldn’t you say? 🙂 By the way, I am following your lovely blog now. Take good care!

• Thanks so much for the kind comment. Those moments of loving kindness were gifts that gave me the freedom to follow my heart. I will always be grateful. Thanks for the follow and I shall be over to visit and do the same! ❤

26. bahelberg1 says:

What wonderful awakenings, and you have a special spouse, as well! It’s lovely to meet you and share the passions of writing and reading. For me, they were both inserted into my bloodstream at age — birth — I believe! I’m glad you found the two arts to share!

27. Your readers are so lucky you are pursuing your love for writing full time, Diana. Thank you for sharing your words and worlds with our earthly realm.

28. tric says:

Have to go and edit my About after reading this polished, beautiful post.

29. jlfatgcs says:

This is one of the most endearing “About” columns I have read. I felt I was reading about a character in a novel that swept me into a place I knew. I live in New England, and my daughter lives in Bend, Oregon. I am with you all the way on your story. It’s terrific. You never know what may happen, and what will drive you to write. Funny thing, that’s just what I do in my classroom. Thank you, and count me in as a follower.

30. GP Cox says:

It is a pleasure to meet you, Diana.

31. How lovely to meet you, Diane! I’m finally working my way over to see you. I, too, am reinventing myself in my middle years. After nearly 21 years in chiropractic practice, I decided to slow down and pursue a dream that was only ever fostered by insightful teachers and professors, never family. So cheers, kindred spirit! And bless you, JRR Tolkien! 😀

32. marianbeaman says:

I love those moments of loving kindness: show stoppers, really!

33. Hello,

I’ve nominated you for the Leibster Award…

If yours is an award free blog please accept the nomination as an expression of my esteem.

Rob Goldstein

34. I enjoyed your life’s journey and where you find yourself today. Along the way, you have imparted much wisdom and planted seeds of kindness. Continue your wonderful work and happy writing to you.

35. Very inspiring biography and a wonderful website, very professional and visual. I also remember 9/11 very clearly, though I was far away in Istanbul, returning home from shopping. I heard it on the car radio, and froze … God bless those souls.

• Thank you for the kind words. It was a long time ago now, but had such a profound impact on me. I suppose someday I’ll have to update the bio, but for now, it still feels relevant. 🙂 Thanks for visiting. Happy Writing!

36. Nitin says:

This is a soul stirring bio. I’m so glad that I read the first thing this morning. Really motivating. I so appreciate your steps taken towards what you love. Always have the best, Diana.

37. Hello Diana, I wanted to come here to thank you for liking one of my posts and I’m so glad I did! It’s funny how seemingly unrelated events in our lives can have such an impact which in turn causes us to make dramatic changes that ultimately lead to greater fulfillment. It sounds like you have tapped into your passion and I look forward to reading your posts. ~Steph

38. Hi Diana, lovely to meet you. As you know Lynn from Lynz Real Cooking raves about you, so I just had to pop over and say Hi, and let you know that I am looking forward to visiting your very interesting blog. Enjoy the weekend further and take care. x

39. Tolkien changed my life, too–differently, but I think that’s what writers all hope for. His work was a bastion of hope in an extremely difficult world.

And I’m fond of Oregon. We have a commercial fishing vessel, F/V Tiger, berthed in Charleston, although we live (mostly) in the Sierra Nevada foothills in California.

Glad to meet another fantasy author, even though my tastes don’t run to gritty quite so much. Who knows? Perhaps that will change. You never know what life will do to you. 🙂

• I write the gamut, Cathleen, YA-appropriate to grimdark. It depends where my head and heart is. I don’t feel like I have control over my stories 🙂 Yes, I love connecting with other fantasy writers too and I want to support their/our efforts! Yay.

Diana, just to let you know I have included you in a list of favourite / recommended blogs in my latest post. https://annikaperry.wordpress.com It’s the Liebster Award! I thoroughly enjoy your blog and wanted to share it here through this award. Please do not feel under any obligation to accept, however should you wish the ‘rules’ are on my post.

41. Deleted says:

Hi Diana, I wanted to let you know that I’ve started over after closing the vpub. My new url is:
    Thanks,

Rob

42. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Hi! I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog. Your writing is brilliant and engaging, and I’m more interested in your journey from Traditional to Indie publishing. I look forward to reading more on the subject:). Also, thank you for visiting my blog and for the follow. Much appreciated.

43. Anonymous says:

I want to thank you for your follow. I have enjoyed a few of your Poems. It’s refreshing to read words from the heart . I toon a relate 9/11 was a life changer for me as well

44. joanneeddy says:

I am so glad I connected to you and to your blog via Senior Salon. You feel like a kindred soul. Tolkien, but LOTR, was transformational to me and led me to fantasy reading and ultimately to writing a fantasy novel; 911 had a huge impact on me, by the 14th I was at Ground Zero with a group of social workers running an aide station on a girder from the South Tower helping the firefighters and police working there. I think it was the most significant work I ever did. This month I will go to the museum for the first time. I know it will be a profound experience and am looking forward to it, but dreading it a bit as well. And myth and making myths has always fascinated me – one of the reasons I love good fantasy is for the myths of the new worlds contained in them.

Loved the post about Wyn and “personal myth” and that myth can be truth without being fact. So, I look forward to reading more of your posts and hopefully your books as well…so nice to “meet” you. Jo

• Yay! What a lovely note, Joanne 🙂 Yes, kindred souls with a lot in common. Sort of amazing. I live on the west coast now, and haven’t been to NYC since 2002. I still can’t watch the videos of the towers falling. I feel the panic rising in my chest. How brave and compassionate and wonderful of you to be there offering aid. And fantasy! I will be over to check out your site and follow 🙂

• joanneeddy says:

I’ve read a bit more about your Myth of Mirrors…so even more in common….similar sensibilities and idea of purpose and higher calling. My admiration for Tolkien made me want an epic kind of book, searching for my roots and an interest in Polish history with all the folklore elements gave me a setting in Poland in 1446, my view that we need to find our own call, “the place where our need meets the world’s hunger,” and that we face choices between seeking to enhance our own power or meeting the world’s need, drive the story through the political intrigue of the times. I wonder also who your other favorite fantasy authors are? Anne McCaffrey? Stephen R Donaldson Mirror of her Dreams? I’d love to know more about your experience getting published as well. I did write a blog on the tenth anniversary of 911 but it may be too hard for you to read…you seem a very gentle soul….

• I love that line “the place where our need meets the world’s hunger.” I think you might be a more organized writer than I 🙂 My books just pop into my head without much contemplation! But they do take on my sensibilities about what’s important in life and the ageless human struggle between love and fear.

Favorite authors? Oh, lots and lots, and so many more to read! I tend to read a bit on the gritty side. Here are a few fantasy authors that pop to mind: Scott Lynch, Joe Abercrombie, Peyton Reynolds, Patrick Rothfuss, Michael Stackpole, Edward Robertson, Brandon Sanderson, etc.

And I would love to read your 911 post if you send the link 🙂 Happy writing, Joanne.