About

Author D Wallace Peach

Diana

I didn’t care for reading as a child – I preferred Bonanza and Beverly Hillbillies reruns, Saturday morning cartoons and the Ed Sullivan show. Then one day, I opened a book titled The Hobbit.

Tolkien … literally changed my life.

I love to write. It’s a luxury I never expected I’d have time for – life got in the way. You know how that goes – kids, work, chores… sleep. I worked for 18 years in business where amassing coin was the all-consuming objective. It required huge amounts of time and mental energy. And for me personally, it was soul-slaying.

Then on September 11, 2001 two planes flew into the World Trade Center. I was working in Connecticut, about 2 hours from ground zero, and remember sitting in a conference room, watching the second tower fall. That tragedy initiated a process of redefinition for me, an evaluation of what was vital and important. Life felt short and precarious, and I started to wonder if it was time to do something that actually mattered.

In a moment of loving kindness, my husband suggested that I quit my job and go back to school (he still wonders what he could possibly have been thinking). I graduated with a Masters in Counseling and a mountain of debt. Oh well. I worked in Burlington, Vermont for peanuts – but, oh, they were chocolate covered! The human experience was sweet and rich. I had the pleasure of working with people who cared deeply about the challenges facing children and families, and I came to understand how the power of relationship, in all its myriad forms, can change the world. In Myths of the Mirror it is called the Belonging.

Then life got in the way again, and Randy and I made a move to the lush, wet, green wilderness of the Oregon rainforest. We live on a mountain a half-hour beyond the edge of civilization in a wonderful community where, once again, I encountered the Belonging. In another regrettable moment of loving kindness, Randy suggested that I write a book rather than work, and Myths of the Mirror poured onto the keyboard. Fast forward some years and more than a dozen books line my Amazon shelf. They have each been labors of love and I hope you enjoy them.

270 thoughts on “About

1. So glad I found your site. Someone had blogged a children’s rhyming book that you had written which is really wonderful! I’m in the process of writing a children’s book, so I am always THRILLED to hear of others success, especially later in life once our children have gone. We finally have time to “re-invent” ourselves. Look forward to reading some of your books. Wishing you more success. http://Www.brilliantviewpoint.com

• Thanks so much for stopping by. There are lots of us who are taking up this vocation later in life, and it’s great fun. The market is highly competitive, but these days that doesn’t have to stop us from doing what we love. 😀 Cheers to you! I wish you tons of luck.

2. It sounds like you’re on a wonderful journey. And kudos on the support of your husband so you can pursue your dreams and passions. I love Oregon and wonder about moving back one day.

3. If possible, I like you even more now 😊

4. Loved your post, many of us are in search of a purpose which serves above the normal life and I am glad you have found yours. I am so glad to connect with people like you here who inspire me. I would love to read your books. 🙂

• Thanks so much for the lovely comment and, of course, I would love for you to read my books, too. 😀 It took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do and then to have the opportunity to do it full time. Before that, I filled the need to make a difference as a volunteer, which I still do. There are so many ways to contribute, and I’ve found that an attitude of kindness and generosity of heart is all that’s needed. ❤

5. petrel41 says:

Congratulations!

I have nominated your blog for the Real Neat Blog Award.

More about this nomination is at

6. Sheila says:

Nice to meet you! I’ve been going through the same kinds of struggles between work, life, and writing so I know what you mean. Living on the edge of civilization in Oregon sounds wonderful. I’m glad you’ve found some chocolate covered peanuts along the way!

• Thanks for visiting and the follow, Sheila. Things are much quieter now without kids at home, but somehow I manage to feel frazzled anyway! Always a search for balance and to make the most of life. Happy Writing!

7. Your words here have inspired me more than you know. What a beautiful soul you possess. So happy I found your blog, and you!

8. emmaleeshall says:

I love your story! I’m in the process of defining myself in my early 30s. I sometimes feel like it’s too late and I’m too old. I should have figured out what to do with my life long ago like so many others… So I appreciate you showing how life is a process of growing and evolving. I’m adding your books to my reading list!

• Thanks so much for the comment. Some of us take longer to truly find our calling. Until I was in my mid-forties I was still wondering what I wanted to do when I grew up. Life is a journey and hopefully we don’t stop redefining ourselves, growing, changing and refining. Enjoy it. Thanks for the visit and I hope you enjoy the books!

9. i am just loving this.this encouraged me not to give up on things and move ahead..thnx hun 🙂

10. osborne2029 says:

Our world changed forever after 911. To think three numbers bring memories flooding back for so many of us of what we were all doing that day. What made you decide on a Master’s in Counselling over other directions? I really enjoyed reading about you. We are all on this journey called life together. I’m glad you went into counselling. There are many who I believe will benefit from your engaging spirit that comes out in your writing. In this world filled with far too much terror and abuse, you are very much needed. Keep shining your light! Even though I’m Christian in my faith and philosophy, I embrace those with or without faith. I’m open to learning and growing through the people I interact with.

Have a beautiful weekend!

Kevin

• Thanks for the lovely comment, Kevin. I was a volunteer for years working with grieving children and families. That led to hospice work and that led to a counseling degree. There are so many people dealing with profound life choices and challenges, and I wanted to be helpful in the process of healing and finding peace and joy (rather than worrying about profit margins – ugh). Thanks for asking, and it’s a pleasure to connect. 😀

11. Your story is very inspiring.
    Wishing you all the success in your quest for joy, for you and for us.

12. delphini510 says:

Your about page is like a wonderful short story in itself. It just has to be savoured. Two things immediately stand out to me, the finding of “Belonging” – twice, last time in Oregon.
    Your loving husband Randy who supported the positive changes in your life. Just wonderful.
    miriam

13. mistermuse says:

I just re-read your “About” because in the rush of time, I sometimes give in to ‘speed reading’ at the expense of giving the writer’s thoughts their proper due….and I wanted to see if that was the (first) case here. I’m happy to report that my original reading came back to me with a more-than-passing grade, and that you age well! But I must admit to not fully appreciating this gem the first time around: “I worked in Burlington, Vermont for peanuts — but, oh, they were chocolate covered.” 🙂

• Thanks for the revisit 🙂 Sometimes I think I should update it. Before long, no one will even get my references! But those were the events that shaped where I am now, so there they stay. Now I want to go read what you’re About!