Ranger Diana

Yosemite National Park

During the last two weeks of June, my husband and I took our first vacation in nearly a decade and headed to Yosemite National Park. It’s a wonderous place of waterfalls, huge trees, and giant rocks. I hiked and read books and was mistaken for a forest ranger. How did that happen, you might ask.

I was wondering why tourists approached me numerous times over two days, asking for information on trails, directions to the parking lot, and Band-Aids for blisters. Despite being my first time at Yosemite, I was able to answer their questions, show them the trail to follow on my map, and distribute first aid.

It wasn’t until my husband and I browsed our photos that the reason became clear…..

Ranger Diana

Other highlights:

Giant trees. I’m standing beneath one that was hollowed through the center by fire:

This tree is named Old Grizzly, estimated at 2900 years old:

The closest thing we saw to a bear. So scary!:

Sunset on Half-Dome :

Rocks and rocks and more rocks:

Vacations are wonderful, but it’s nice to come home.

270 thoughts on “Ranger Diana

1. Sarah says:

Hehe! Ranger Diana – I love it! I’m often mistaken for a tourist thanks to Cap, sunglasses and camera so no one asks me for help. πŸ˜† Those trees are amazing!!!! I’m totally in love and can’t get over the fact that they’re over 2000 years old!!! Almost 3000! And soooooo tall! No tree in Europe could compete with them, although we do have some quite old oaks too but nowhere as old as yours. That’s where the ancient temples and ruins come in handy though.πŸ˜‰ So glad you had a lovely vacation, Diana, and I hope you got home with at least a dozen new novel ideas! ❀

2. Webb Blogs says:

Such wonderful pictures. My preteen has been asking me to take him to Yosemite since last year. It’s only about 3 hours from where I live but I have such horrible panic attacks that I don’t get out as often as I would like. But I do hope to take him soon.

• That makes it hard, especially if heights are a challenge. But the place is beautiful and serene. Perhaps go with a friend or two as well, so there’s less pressure on you. You can sit beside the giant trees and breathe. πŸ™‚ Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a wonderful day.

3. Marcia says:

I can’t believe how late I am in reading this, Diana, but I just had to let you know that I LOVED your photos! Stunning! And I’d be proud to hike Yosemite with Ranger Diana, any day! Thanks so much for sharing! πŸ€—πŸ’—

4. emmblu says:

This is hilarious, wondering why everyone is asking you questions and turned out it was because of your outfit! And you had the sense of humor to turn things around and christen yourself Ranger Diana. I, too, had a similar experience, although it was because a group of “mean girls ” set me up. I had just come over to the US on a work visa. I was invited to a wedding. These girls who had previously been mean to me sudden became so friendly and offered to take me to the mall to get my dress. They chose an outfit for me that they insisted was perfect for the wedding. When I arrived, my satin black and purple cocktail dress looked more “bridesmaid-y” than the bridesmaids and it matched the tablecpoth and centerpiece perfectly. Tableclorh Emma? They must have been snickering behind my back, but I bravely finished the wedding and reception. I learned too late that day who my real friends were. But anyway, I tried not to let that get to me too much or they would have won, right?
    Btw, great pics. Love ’em.

• Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I’m glad you got a laugh from the post. It was pretty funny. I don’t know if I would have laughed if I’d been set up by the mean girls you encountered. I don’t understand why people do those unkind things. I just figure they’re unhappy and have nothing else inside to share but unhappiness. Forget them and enjoy! Have a wonderful week!

5. Such gorgeous pictures! And I’m so glad you were able to help all those people! I’ll bet they walked away thinking, I’m so glad we ran into that ranger!” πŸ™‚

6. I’m so envious, Diana! I’ve never been to Yosemite, but what a magical place it must be. Hope you had a safe and wondrous holiday!

• It was amazing, Sean. So beautiful and the trees are magnificent. It’s practically in your backyard, isn’t it? We had much of the place to ourselves because of covid restrictions, and we went early enough to beat the fires. (Sigh… another topic for another time). Thanks for stopping by. Stay cool and be well.

7. markbierman says:

What a beautiful and magnificent place, Diana! Yes, you do look like you know what you’re talking about. πŸ™‚

• My ranger impersonation was entirely unplanned and so funny when we figured it out. It was a wonderful trip, Mark, and such a beautiful spot. I hope you can visit there some day. Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome afternoon. πŸ™‚

8. Glad to see you got a vacation, D. Yosemite is a great place for one, and yes, you do look like a ranger. I used to lead 100 mile treks in the backcountry of Yosemite. Great beauty and lots of hungry bears. πŸ™‚ One time I woke up with one standing on top of me. –Curt

• Wow, Curt, how wonderful to get out there into the wilderness. In my younger years I would have loved to go on one of those long hikes, but now I stick to the easy and moderate trails. Hungry bears standing on your chest?! No thank you. These days, the park has done a great job of educating visitors on bear safety, including not feeding them so they don’t see humans as a source of food. The biggest bear problem is people running over them with their cars. 😦 It’s a beautiful place and I’d so back for more adventures in a minute. Thanks for swinging by!

9. akanshakamal says:

So wonderful pictures.. Wow.. πŸ’›

10. Hi Ranger Diana, I followed you again. I could see that you had a wonderful vacation! It was kind of you not to tell the tours you were not a ranger. You must have done some homework before the trip and were able to answer the questions like a ranger. The photos are fabulous. What a great trip to see the magnificent trees and mountains and waterfalls. Now that your husband is retired, I could see that you won’t wait for too long for the next vacation!

• We had hiked every “easy” and “moderate” trail, Miriam, so by the time I became Ranger Diana, I knew my way around pretty well. And I had my handy day-hike map. πŸ™‚ It was a hoot. And a beautiful vacation. Thanks for stopping by to enjoy the pics. You’re the best. πŸ˜€ ❀

• It’s good to do easy and moderate hikes, Diana.😍 It’s about time to visit Yosemite again. A couple people in my fellowship group said it costs almost $1000 a night for the hotels. Yikes. There’s a fire in Yosemite. I only read the headline. You went at a good time, before the fire season. The fire in CA this year will burn hotter and faster because of no moist in the air. πŸ˜”

• If you stay in the grand lodge, that number is probably correct. Yikes! We rented a beautiful vrbo spot with a full kitchen for a week at about that price. Cooking for ourselves saved a lot of money too. We went early to avoid the crowds and beat the fires. So sad to see all the damage from previous years. 😦 I’m worried about the whole west this year.

• I have to look into vrbo rental. I cancelled the reservation for the trip to Banff next month because the Canadian border is still close. We’re going to Santa Barbara for a week instead.
            Biden visited the west coast for the same reason. The heat waves didn’t help. I understand that fireworks were allowed on July 4th with the fire fighters on guard!

11. Your photos are spectacular, Diana! What a wonderful trip you must have had. Will you wait for nearly a decade for another?

12. gorgeous photo’s! i’ve been one time to the redwoods and they are an amazing experience to see. massive and majestic makes one feel quite small. ;))

13. PeachyTO says:

Holy doodle, those are some big trees!! Great shots or what looks like an amazing time. I am officially jealous. πŸ˜‰

• Ha ha ha. It was so beautiful. I’m a tree hugger from birth and these were definitely impressive. I hope you can go there someday. Well worth it. Thanks for the visit and the comment. Have a wonderful Tuesday!

14. Bel says:

Yay Ranger Diana πŸ˜‰ I’m so happy you made it. I love the Yosemite shirt it looks awesome on you. Your pictures are so cool and it seems like you had tons of fun. I have a lot of people asking me to take their pictures most of the time when I’m in similar places πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Thanks for the visit, Bel. πŸ™‚ My husband’s phone takes better pictures than mine, so he took most of these, but we did find people willing to snap a shot of the pair of us. It was such a lovely place. And because of covid restrictions, we had much of it to ourselves! Next spring… Grand Canyon. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you’re starting to travel again. ❀

15. Ms D. says:

Wow. 2900 years old! I had no idea that trees could live that long.

• I’m sure there are older trees, but this one was the oldest here. Almost all the Redwoods had fire damage around the base, which made sense, but they’re tough and seem somewhat fire-tolerant. Aren’t they fabulous? Thanks so much for peeking at the pics! Have a wonderful week.

16. Widdershins says:

Heh πŸ™‚ … I see the resemblance. πŸ˜€

Lol Diana, not hard to tell. Same way I always used to get stopped in a department store for help, lol. Gorgeous photos! ❀

18. Wow, what beautiful photos, Diana. It’s like you captured a little slice of heaven. And, honestly, I’d have asked you for a bandaid or help arranging an airlift, too! You did look a wee bit like a Ranger! I am thrilled that you and your husband got to enjoy a wonderful vacation together surrounded by breathtaking beauty. Those trees…wow, precious giants is what they are. Have a lovely week, my friend. ❀️

• Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Tanya, and sorry about the late reply (I discovered your comment in my spam folder. Sometimes WP makes no sense at all.) I’m glad you enjoyed the photos. It was a beautiful and inspiring place. Aren’t those trees amazing? That forest felt sacred, and we had it almost to ourselves. And Ranger Diana would gladly arrange for an airlift. LOL. Have a lovely week, my friend. πŸ˜€

19. DutchIl says:

Thank you for sharing your adventure and lovely photos!!.. practically felt like I were actually there!!… β€œLife gives us brief moments with another, but sometimes in those brief moments we get memories that last a lifetime, So live that your memories will be part of your happiness.” (Author Unknown)…. πŸ™‚

Until we meet again..
    May love and laughter light your days,
    and warm your heart and home.
    May good and faithful friends be yours,
    wherever you may roam.
    May peace and plenty bless your world
    with joy that long endures.
    May all life’s passing seasons
    bring the best to you and yours!
    (Irish Saying)

• Thanks for the beautiful comment, and I’m glad the photos took you there for a few moments. At times, the place felt sacred, so ancient. We left with some wonderful memories. Have a beautiful week.

20. I can see why you came home rejuvenated with stunning vistas like that!

• As soon as we got home, we started planning our trip for next year, Jacquie. It was so beautiful and lots of fun. I’ve never had the opportunity to travel and hope to make up for that during retirement. πŸ™‚ Thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful week. ❀ ❀

21. mydangblog says:

What incredible viewsβ€”I had no idea Yosemite was so stunning! And even if you aren’t a ranger, I imagine your help was much appreciated!

22. candidkay says:

Oh my gosh–those trees! Absolutely majestic. And I’m laughing at the ranger bit–you would have fooled me too!

• Thanks for stopping by and for the comment, Kay. The trees feel sacred and ancient, and because of covid restrictions we had them all to ourselves. And of course, we had lots of laughs about my ranger impersonation! Have a lovely week. Be well.

23. Awh, ranger Diana you are just too cool and you look adorable dressed up like a ranger πŸ˜‰
    I miss blogging and hope to be back soon visiting more. I know those hikers sensed that you could help them! Beautiful, beautiful pictures. You must have had a wonderful time!

• It was a wonderful trip, Ka, and the ranger costume was totally unintentional. Ha ha. A funny memory to take with us. I hope you’re back to blogging soon too! In the meantime, I hope everything is going well for you. Have a lovely weekend.

24. Ann Coleman says:

So gorgeous and so worth the effort!

Just WOW!! I love your photos, especially the trees. Yes, you do look like a ranger! πŸ™‚

26. What a beautiful national park, it’s giving me setting ideas for stories! Looks like you had a grand adventure πŸ˜€

27. jryb29 says:

This scenery is so lovely!

28. Prior... says:

Hello = you do look like a ranger – haha = and very cool that you rose to the occasion with assisting – (such a kind person)
    glad you had a nice play to vacay – the trees are great and looks like fun

29. So glad you had such a great time Camp Ranger Diana… 🀣 your pictures are awesome. So glad you got away and took a breakπŸ’–πŸ’–

• I had a blast, Cindy. It honestly couldn’t have been more fun. The visitor restrictions meant that we had whole trails to ourselves – alone in such sacred beauty. I’d go again in a minute. πŸ™‚ Thanks for the visit and comment. Happy Saturday.

30. Erica/Erika says:

You are hilarious, Ranger Diana! I can’t stop smiling. This vacation sounds and looks wonderful. I cannot imagine a 2900 year-old tree. The sunset on Half-Dome…WOW! The mini slideshow is a nice effect. Amazing waterfall. A great getaway yet always nice to sleep in your own bed. πŸ’•

• I have a lot of fun laughing at myself, Erica. I can be quite a dork. Lol. The place was spectacular, and that old tree felt sacred. I’m glad to be home, but I’m already making travel plans for next year. πŸ™‚ Retirement is suiting me! Ha ha. Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful weekend! ❀

31. Dan Antion says:

Yosemite is a great park. You do look like a ranger. That’s funny, but I’m glad you were able to help people.

32. Vashti Q says:

I love all your pictures, Diana! Yosemite Park is gorgeous. I’d love to visit some day. It’s hilarious that you answered people’s question and issued first aid. Ha, ha. You’re too cute! ❀

33. Resa says:

You look simply marvellous as a Ranger!
    Welcome home, Mountain Girl &Tree Lady! πŸ˜€

34. John Maberry says:

One of those places on our list. Maybe we should go there this year. Heat and wildfires do seem the risky part of California these days. Been putting it off for years. Your beautiful pix are encouraging us to reconsider and just do it!

• We saw the Shasta/Weed fire on our way home, John, and were so thankful that we went early in the year. You would love it and honestly it’s incredibly accessible with a wide range of trails from paved paths to strenuous climbs (which we avoided). I can’t speak highly enough about how spectacular the place is. If you decide to go, I know you’ll love it. Thanks for stopping by, and I can’t wait to see your photos!

35. logangrey20 says:

What inspiring scenery! I’ve never been there but those pictures of you against a nearly 3000-year-old tree really sell it for me. πŸ™‚

• It’s an amazing place, Logan. If you can get there someday, it’s worth it. Because of the pandemic, access to the park was restricted. So, we planned the trip a year in advance and had those sacred trees almost entirely to ourselves. It was magical. Thanks for the visit. Have a great weekend and Happy Writing!

36. Gorgeous pictures Diana. I hope you had a great time.
    xoxo

37. BERNADETTE says:

Too funny. You do look like a park ranger. You will have to use that for grist for the mill of a future story. Lovely photography.

• Thanks for stopping by to browse the photos and read about my impersonation of a forest ranger. Lol. It was a fun trip, Bernadette, full of oohs and aahs and laughs. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. Happy Saturday!

38. So glad I opened this immediately though I’ve been saving your other posts for when I ‘have time.’ The post title got me curious and the post didn’t disappoint. What fun!! You do look like a ranger. And what gorgeous pictures, all! I’m so happy you had this lovely vacation, my friend. Smiles all around. πŸ™‚

• This was a nice short post, Sheri. I feel the need to give busy bloggers a break now and then. Ha ha. We had a wonderful time with the wilderness and with each other. Very relaxing. I have so many pictures of rocks and trees, it’s ridiculous! Thanks for the visit and have a wonderful weekend. πŸ™‚

• I wondered how you managed to curate down to so few photos to share. Every rock and tree is beautiful and seems precious when you’re there. I know that ‘photo reel’. πŸ™‚ So glad you enjoyed it so much! πŸ™‚

39. You pictures are wonderful, Diana. I hope you had a relaxed time and are filled with enthusiasm and creativity. 10 Years is a long time. I like to go on short breaks as often as possible. We are hoping to go away for a few days in August but we have to see what this jolly pandemic is doing then.

40. Baydreamer says:

Fabulous photos, Diana, and love the one of you! I’m even more excited now for our trip into the wilderness in 3 weeks. πŸ™‚ Glad you had some respite, hiking, and reading time. ❀️

41. memadtwo says:

Beautiful. I visited for a weekend when my older brother had his wedding there. We did not get to do much exploring but the setting was idyllic. I also remember vividly my younger brother driving the winding road up and in on our way there. That was quite awhile ago, but I wonder if the guard rails look any more secure now…(k)

• What guardrails? LOL. Those narrow winding roads are terrifying, aren’t they? I’m not surprised you remember that. And how lovely to have been there for a wedding. The place is glorious. Thanks for swinging by, Kerfe. Have a wonderful weekend.

42. acflory says:

-grin- I’m never going to let you forget that khaki outfit! Lucky you had enough bandaids. πŸ˜€
    Welcome back to civilisation!

43. Staci Troilo says:

Looks like a wonderful trip!

44. Gibberish says:

Amazing pictures, must have been such a breath of fresh air to get away.. literally πŸ˜„πŸ˜„