Write and Change the World

A replay of a post from 2015. Amidst all the unpredictability today, a few things are entirely within our control, and one of them is kindness. ❤
***

JeffersonMost of us have days filled with small acts of kindness. We smile, kiss hurt elbows, throw tennis balls for our dogs. We pay for a coworker’s coffee and leave a big tip. We call a friend in need, chauffeur teenagers, cook a favorite meal, or pick up ice cream on the way home. These small invisible acts often go unacknowledged, but they travel around in overlapping circles, keep our lives balanced and relationships healthy. We see the results in strengthened bonds, deeper commitment, and abiding love.

87230b4a08df4def07bae73905d9319bBut what about those times when we don’t see the ripples? When we toss acts of kindness and compassion into a seemingly bottomless well of suffering and despair? When we perceive no reward for our efforts? When we don’t know if we’re making any lasting difference in our world at all? Some strangers we’ll meet face to face, but most we’ll never know. The poignant tales of their lives will play out in other neighborhoods, other cities, and other lands, unseen and unheard.

download (1)In our political landscape, acts of kindness and compassion are often labeled as weak, a waste of time and money, conciliatory, poor investments, and unpatriotic. In a culture that values money over lives, the manipulations are intense.

Yet, I would argue that when we ordinary folk commit small everyday deeds of kindness and compassion, the ripples are there even though invisible to our eyes and silent to our ears. Those random acts are cups of water that we pour down that deep, collective well. They blend and build, until over time, the bottomless well holds a limitless reservoir from which a garden grows. I have faith that no act of kindness or compassion is wasted, ever.

gandalf quoteI’m not really surprised that Gandalf sits up there with some of the greats when it comes to quotes regarding kindness. Does it matter that he’s a fictional character? Not really. Through Gandalf, Tolkien’s wisdom reached millions. Such is the power of the written word. Books can and do have the power to change the world…

141 thoughts on “Write and Change the World

1. Ann Coleman says:

I’m so glad I found your blog again! I thought I was following it, and so assumed when I didn’t see new posts that you were no longer blogging. But someone, I had stopped following it. I love the writing advice (I still write fiction in my spare time) and the inspiration. Thank you!

• Thanks so much for stopping by, Ann. I stopped blogging for a long time when my parents’ health took a nose dive and I became a full-time caregiver. Things had calmed down until this virus. Ugh. But back to blogging and happy to connect during this time of isolation. Happy Writing and be well. 🙂

2. acflory says:

‘In our political landscape, acts of kindness and compassion are often labeled as weak’

Yes. In the gaming world, kind people, caring people, have long been denigrated as ‘Care Bears’ and portrayed as weak and without value. That disregard was an echo of the real world, and how many view strength and courage.

Covid-19 has shown in stark detail what true heroes really look like, and they don’t swagger around with guns.

Go Care Bears of the world!

3. This post deserved to be repeated, Diana. We need a lot more kindness in the world. — Suzanne

4. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    Tolkien was a religious man. The Bible tells us that we benefit more from the kindness that won’t benefit us back.

5. Thom Hickey says:

Just what we need these days!

Stay well

Regards Thom

• Thank you for the kind comment, Thom. I’m heartened to hear stories every day about people going out of their way to care for others, especially our healthcare workers. They’re amazing. There’s hope for us. Take care and I hope your day is filled with kindness. 🙂

6. duke19593 says:

It’s always about the small stuff and never the big stuff!

Yes, kindness!! Thanks, Diana. Stay safe and stay well. ❤️

8. Everyhing we do and even every thought or Emotion has a deep Impact on everything. And it happens immediately. We are connected and responsible.