Daybreak #Writephoto

Photo copyright Sue Vincent

The chirping alarm clock wakes us at an ungodly hour, and I quickly prepare a thermos of hot chocolate. Muffins packed. Sweaters donned. Flashlights? Check. Blankets? Check. Keys? I pat my pocket, running through my mental checklist. We load up and drive the winding lane to the knoll.

It’s my 60th birthday, and I want to watch the sunrise. My ten-year-old granddaughter indulges my desire.

We spread a blanket on the smooth ledge, cupfuls of cocoa in hand, another blanket warming our laps. The stars behind us glimmer like luminescence in the sky’s black sea. To the east, they fade as dawn breaks. Clouds stream in heaven’s wind, a sheer sail unfurling over the slumbering land.

A light catches the corner of my eye. An iphone! “Gah!  Turn that thing off.”

“I have to check one thing.”

My instruction is ignored. I emit a series of annoyed and exasperated groans, mutterings, and sighs.

“One minute,” she giggles, unswayed by my performance. “I’m looking something up.”

I wait.

She leans into my shoulder and shares. “Did you know that light is actually all colors, and each color has a different wavelength. Blue is the shortest and red the longest.

“Hm.”

“Different length lightwaves travel through space, and when they reach the atmosphere, they bounce off particles in the air. Like dust, water, and ice crystals, and tiny gas molecules. They scatter in lots of different directions.”

“Interesting.”

My subtle hints are failing to have an impact. She scrolls down. “When sunlight travels a short path through the atmosphere, tiny gas molecules scatter blue sunlight in all directions, making the sky blue. At sunrise and sunset, when light travels a long path, it’s mostly red and yellow.”

I sling an arm around her and sigh. “And I thought it was magic.”

She slides her phone into her pocket, and we “ooh” and “aah” as the sun bathes tiny gas molecules with gloriously long light waves.

“You know what else it said?” Apparently, my little scientist isn’t finished.

“What?”

“That the clouds are a canvas on which nature paints her colors.”

“I like that,” I say.

“I thought you would. You see? It’s magic after all.”

***

In response to Sue Vincent’s Thursday #Writephoto prompt.

This is a work of fiction.

156 thoughts on “Daybreak #Writephoto

1. I loved reading this, Diana! Its lovely.

2. LOVE this! Okay, I really love the idea of sitting out on a blanket with some hot cocoa to watch the sun rise. Love watching the sun rise. And set. Gorgeous!

3. Outstanding! This was heartwarming.

4. kevin cooper says:

Beautiful, Diana… Truly beautiful.

5. Léa says:

Delicious and delightful. I do love catching the sunrise over the chateau behind my house on my morning walks. The perfect location is the third bridge across la rivier Berre. When it rains I go a bit further and catch the show at our village cascade…
    BTW, next time make sure the phone stays at home or in a car and a belated Joyeaux Anniversaire.

• Thanks so much for stopping by to read, Lea. Your sunrise options sound beautiful. This is a piece of fiction, so no birthday and no sunrise-viewing with my make-belief granddaughter. Lol. But it was fun to imagine. Have a beatiful weekend!

6. Sarah says:

Aww – such a sweet story, Diana! And I love that clouds are the canvas on which nature paints – magic indeed!! 😀

7. joylennick says:

Happy 60th Diana and many, many, many more…How lovely that piece was. You seem to have the monopoly on magic! Hugs xx

• I’m past the 60 mark, Joy. This is fiction… but I wish it was true! lol. I might just have to drag my little grandson out for a sunrise and some hot cocoa this summer. Thanks for stopping by, and I’m glad you enjoyed the story. ❤ Have a lovely day.

8. willowdot21 says:

That is a lovely work of fiction….. I almost wish it was true. So happy Birthday or unbirthday that was a beautiful story. 💜💜💜

A sweet story, Diana. A friend of mine posted some sunset pics on FB similar to this one – just stunning.