Diana’s Nov. Writing Challenge: Dinner

pixabay image

I dragged the child through the forest by his grubby ankle. He howled and grasped at passing tree roots, but I gave him a sharp-hooved kick. I’d not tolerate his misbehaving ways. No, not I.

“Let me go,” he begged.

I flattened my ears and bared my teeth, newly sharpened for the occasion. I hung him upside down, my tail wrapped around one bare foot like a python. Quick as spit, I used my claws to peel off his clothes, and I tossed the rags into the fire. He wouldn’t be wearing those again. They were as grimy as he, so rank that a skunk would pinch its nose and flee.

Tired of his pleading and threats, I stuffed the flailing child into my pot and slammed down the lid. The worst of the ordeal was over but for the boulder to keep the youngster inside. That I’d planned in advance, and I used my knees when hefting it onto the lid. Earlier that afternoon, I’d prepared the kettle with an aromatic blend of woodland herbs mixed with salts and plenty of water for a long stew. Nothing less would do in this particular case. The parents insisted the lad was “tough.”

“Let me out, please,” the child cried and blubbered, but I didn’t care. His parents had given up and offered him to me, wanting no details regarding what I’d do to him. I sorted out the fire, pushing the embers closer to the pot. Not boiling, but hot enough to have him done by dinnertime. I placed a delectable casserole near the heat and satisfied, squatted on a rock. There was nothing left to do but wait.

“It’s dark in here,” the lad griped. “And it’s getting hot.”

I ignored the complaints until they fell silent, frittering my afternoon away with grooming while anticipating my supper. I combed my long beard and polished my horns, taking utmost pride in my appearance. Unlike one germ-ridden, flea-bitten child. Every now and then, I tossed a stick on the fire.

When the sun slid behind the autumn leaves, I knocked the boulder from the lid and peeked inside. The aroma was delicious, and the child perfectly done, his skin rosy and wrinkled. I wrapped my tail around his skinny body, lifted him from my pot, and set him on a level stone.

He glowered at me. “You’re mean.”

“And you’re clean.” I shooed his little naked self away. “Off with you. Scamper home to your parents. My casserole is done and so is your bath.”

***

I hope you enjoyed the story.

For those who celebrate the holiday, have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

See you in December!

96 thoughts on “Diana’s Nov. Writing Challenge: Dinner

1. Sarah says:

Hehe! That was such fun, Diana! 😁 Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving! ❤

You got me on this one, Diana. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

3. officialosi says:

Oh wow, lol. Completely threw me off 😂

4. That was so awesomely, misleading and brilliant!

5. Whew! I was mighty scared of what was coming, there for a minute!

6. trentpmcd says:

lol, those boys can be very hard to clean…

7. kevin cooper says:

Nothing like a well-cooked kid. Muha-ha! 😀

8. inese says:

Such a fun story, Diana. Some recipes are just weird 😉

9. When I read the title for your post, I said, “Oh oh.” While reading, I kept saying, “No, no, she won’t do it…”

And you didn’t! 🙂 Thank you.

I love your imagination and creative heart. Enjoy the rest of your holiday weekend, Diana. 🙂

10. I so did not see the twist coming at the end! I was composing my comment in my head as I read, and I had to throw it out. I was completely invested in a horrific tale!!

11. I just read your story. The day after Thanksgiving. And I shivered as I read it, my stomach roiling, and then I said to myself “But it’s Diana, trust her.” Then I read the ending, laughed BUT I also shouted out loud (to you): YOU’RE MEAN!!!!!
    🙂 Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, my friend. ❤

May I say that I am grateful for that twisted happier ending! Lol, wow, that was some kind of suspense Diana! Happy Thanksgiving! ❤

13. V.M.Sang says:

I love this story, and the twist at the end. Thank you for posting it.

14. Silent Hour says:

I loved it! In fact, I have written something in the same line, so while reading I was having this amazing feeling of being connected to someone’s mind. Great twist in the end too. You are always excellent, Diana!

15. acflory says:

You know, just for a minute there…:D I love stories with a twist, and this one really had me going. Bravo!

16. Wonderful twist 🙂 Was half expecting the child to be Thanksgiving dinner!

17. Steve Tanham says:

A beast of a story, Diana! Clever….

That was a great story, Diana! Happy Thanksgiving. 🙂

19. Erik says:

Wonderful flash fiction as ever, Diana.

Seems you’ve written an awful lot of it over the years. Ever considered compiling it into one book? I’m certain you could come up with a clever name to tie it all together; and you’d certainly have a ready audience.

Just saying…

Happy Thanksgiving!

• I’ve thought about it, Erik. I have well over a hundred pages of flash fiction and halfway decent poems. I figure another year will give me enough that I can weed out the… weeds. 🙂 But that’s down the road. I’ve started editing the next trilogy and would like to get that one out sometime in 2020. Phew to that! Then, who knows. Thanks for the visit, my dear friend. I hope you have wonderful Thanksgiving plans with family, friends, or both. ❤

20. J.D. Riso says:

So cute. Wishing you a beautiful holiday, Diana.

21. arlene says:

What a lovely story. Happy Thanksgiving Diana 🙂

This is wonderful, Diana. Well done! You’re such a wonderful story-teller of olde tyme fables. I was completely hooked and fooled. 🙂

23. He’ll think twice before getting that dirty again. Great story, Diana. A good chuckle.

24. Lol, that should have taken a few years off that kid’s life!
    Happy Thanksgiving, Diana 🙂

25. I wasn’t at all sure where that was going, Diana – you had my stomach tieing itself in knots and my mind saying surely not – and then you came clean – well the kid did. My best to you and yours at Thanksgiving from that Englishman in the UK.

• It’s pretty horrible most of the way through, isn’t it? Lol. I love toying with readers. But I can’t hurt kids, even in stories, so the silly ending was inevitable. Thanks for the Thanksgiving best, Eric. It’s my favorite holiday. Happy Writing.

26. Wow. So creepy. Loved the twist!

27. wow! What A story, I just knew he was dinner ,but then I thought maybe its a creature who eats children- but I was delighted in the end to know he was clean. You got me good, -oh so good on you loved it

28. Great story, Diana! Wishing you and your family a blessed Thanksgiving. ❤️

29. Delightful! Love it!👌♥️

30. Dale says:

I decided to come and see what you do and was delighted by this tale… Would never have thought to use a grimy child to flavour my soup… but then again, I don’t have hooves and horns… 😉

Diana, love this! A terrific, detailed build-up and the ending makes the story! I’m imagining the sparkling clean child dashing back to his parents, never to refuse a bath again! Have a lovely Thanksgiving, my friend! 😀❤️

32. ghostmmnc says:

Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving! ❤

33. Mick Canning says:

Well, I don’t know, Diana. Am I going to be the only one to say I was disappointed at the ending? Does that make it obvious I’m a parent…?

34. I wondered where the story was going and you gave it the perfect ending.

35. Violet Lentz says:

Delicious!! I mean wonderful!

36. Ha! This is a delight, Diana. You drew me in so completely. I loved the vanity of the… horned guy. Happy Thanksgiving. Hugs on turkey wings!

37. Ha, ha. Very clever story Diana. I’m grateful for the chuckles and promise to be a good lad. Happy Thanksgiving.

38. Wonderful story ☺️ Have a happy Thanksgiving – full of food and loved ones ❤️