Make a Book Trailer with PowerPoint

I’m a cheapskate.

I’m also technologically impaired.

So when it came to making a book trailer for Sunwielder’s audiobook pre-release hype, I resorted to the old familiar standby from my years of selling office furniture – MS PowerPoint. The program’s been updated over the past 2 decades, but I still figured it out with some trial and error. And error. And a little more error.

The main thing I learned is regarding sequence:

1. Start with your text: Keep it pithy. I used my book blurb and pared it down to its bare essentials. That gave me about fifteen slides to populate with images.

2. Then add images: I took advantage of Pixabay’s royalty-free, attribution-free images for this one, frequently mashing them together to create a scene. Remember to check copyright details for the images you decide to use.

3. Add transitions: Don’t get too zany, but have fun. Timing is the hardest part. Just keep viewing and adjusting until you’re satisfied.

4. Add animation: Same as the above.

5 Add music: Once your presentation is done and the timing close to finalized, find a piece of music. I searched for royalty-free music about the length of the slideshow since editing music is beyond my brain’s ability. Again, check the copyright details. I added a slide at the end for the required attribution.

6. Tweak about 50-100 times.

7. Export from PowerPoint as an MP4 file.

8. Upload to Youtube, Goodreads, and Amazon.

Want to check it out?

199 thoughts on “Make a Book Trailer with PowerPoint

1. […] thinking about doing Diana Peach’s PowerPoint book trailer idea but for the entire trilogy. I’ll release it when Book 3 is ready as background on Book 1 and […]

2. Himani says:

Wow😍 That’s just great Diana! Yes even I have tried making great videos on powerpoint for many of my projects and I realised that it has so many great features to make beautiful videos

3. […] thinking about doing Diana Peach’s PowerPoint book trailer idea but for the entire trilogy. I’ll release it when Book 3 is ready as background on Book 1 and […]

4. […] via Make a Book Trailer with PowerPoint β€” Myths of the Mirror […]

5. It looks great!!πŸ’™

6. marianbeaman says:

Huge thanks! I’m doing a book trailed now, and that looks much easier than some other suggestions, Diane. πŸ™‚

• I’m so glad you checked out the post, Marian. It isn’t that hard, but it also isn’t quick, particularly if you’re working out any timing and playing with tenths of seconds. Just be patient and you’ll get it. I was really glad to find something free and easy to do. Have fun!

• Thanks for checking out the post, Kevin. It was fun to play around with powerpoint, and it wasn’t that difficult overall. I’m working on another one (when I should be writing), an indication of how much I enjoyed making the first one. Have a great day and Happy Writing!

7. Oh, wow — that looks great! About five years ago, I was at the Writer’s Digest Conference where they were offering a seminar on book trailers — whether they’re worth it. I never really pursued the matter beyond that hourlong workshop, but I’m curious, Diana: Do you find it helpful to have a trailer to post on social media?

• It actually has sold a few books, Sean, believe it of not. πŸ™‚ I only have this one, but will do more as I have the time. It’s free, it’s easy, and it was a lot of fun. When my audiobook goes live, I’ll load the trailer onto Amazon and see if that raises any interest.

I don’t have the budget for paid trailers or actors! But after (not before) making this, I did some research on trailers and there are quite a few different approaches that even a do-it-yourselfer can easily pull together. If you know how to use PPt, the rest is pretty easy.

8. What a fantastic trailer – absolutely inspirational!
    Emma πŸ™‚

• Thank you so much, Emma. It was the best I could do without hiring a cast and director. Ha ha. And it was free and easy. I can think of so many fun ways to use PPt now. If you ever feel inspired, give it a try!

9. Bel says:

Great job on the powerpoint Diana! I haven’t touched powerpoint in a long time – you inspire me once again. It would be cool to mix it with videos. 😊

• Mixing videos in there would be great, Bel. I’m just intimidated and would need to battle through the learning curve. It’s a great alternative to an ordinary slide show. Adding music made all the difference to me. Thanks for the visit, my friend. Hope you’re having a beautiful start to autumn. πŸ™‚

10. John Maberry says:

Love it! Now all I need to do is get the next book done. LOL

11. […] MAKE A BOOK TRAILER WITHΒ POWERPOINT […]

12. inese says:

So very cool, Diana! Thank you for always sharing great tips!

13. This is great, Diana! And I never thought to use PowerPoint. Great suggestion!

14. Sarah says:

Wow! This is so awesome, Diana!! πŸ˜„ I could never do it, it would take ages! πŸ˜‚ Your artistic eye shows definitely in this – the pics you chose are just perfect and make me want for more! When did you say the movie’s going to come to cinemas? πŸ˜‰

• Ha ha ha ha. A movie? Lol. Now that would make my day. Thanks for the sweet comment. The hardest part about making this was finding the images. The rest was easy (mostly). If you can repair your appliances, you can do this! I’m so glad you enjoyed it. ❀

15. Reblogged this on M J Mallon YA/Paranormal Author and commented:
    Great post from Diana about creating videos for promoting books.

16. Thanks for this must try or get my daughter to she studied media at A level and knows how to create videos. πŸ™‚

17. rsrook says:

This is pretty impressive!

18. Joel F says:

Thanks for this. Another day of learning.

This sounds completely beyond my capabilities, Diana. Luckily, i have a computer-savvy friend!

• You could do it, Teri. The hardest part, to be honest, is collecting the images, particularly for speculative fiction, but you’d be surprised at what’s available on Pixabay. Then it’s just a matter of assembly. πŸ˜€ I’m glad you enjoyed it!

20. Very nice and great advice for us technically impaired folks. Trailer is awesome.

21. cath says:

A lovely presentation, well worth the time spent. I use power-point for teaching, but my technical slides seem very tame after seeing this.
    Sunweilder looks intriguing. Congratulations.

22. Joanne Sisco says:

I laughed out loud at step #6. I could relate to that one!!!

The trailer is AWESOME! Give or take step #6, you made it sound so easy to do πŸ˜‰

23. Definitely saving this post for future reference!