Beyond the Light #Writephoto

copyright Sue Vincent

On my last day, the impenetrable rain finally clears, and my hostess suggests a walk. I’d rather stare out the window and wallow in my disappointment. But her enthusiasm won’t be thwarted, and I can’t very well blame her for the weather.

We venture through her back gate. A gray mist stalls between the trees’ black silhouettes, robbing me of a mere glimpse of blue sky. Spring has dawdled, and leafless twigs knit a dark filigree above the crooked boles. Only the mottled grass seems to have noticed the changing season, but it squishes beneath my feet and soaks my shoes.

I shove my hands in my pockets against the chill. “Is spring always this… dreary?”

My hostess chuckles. “It depends on your perspective.” She steps aside and beckons me to stand in her place.

I smile at her attempt at humor and comply. The morning sun casts rainbows in my eyes.

Gift my gloomy heart
Solace from expectations
Where darkness shelters
A new perspective beckons
In dawn’s awakening light

A haibun/tanka combo.

Thanks to Sue Vincent for the inspiring #Writephoto prompt.

144 thoughts on “Beyond the Light #Writephoto

1. Wonderful flash, Diana! And perfect timing; spring is finally here. This past week started dreary, like the story, and ended bright. Well done once again!

2. Bel says:

You took the words right out of my mouth, Diana. Finding solace in the trees or nature in general. It will always be the answer when life gets in the way and we fear the path it is leading us to😊

3. […] via Beyond the Light #Writephoto — Myths of the Mirror […]

4. Sarah says:

So lovely to see you back, Diana! ❤ And with a beautiful poem on top of it! 😄
    A change in perspective is all what it takes sometimes to save the day, isn’t it? Always good to be reminded of that every once in a while. 😉

• Thanks, Sarah. I love the whole idea of perception and how it works like a magical power in our lives. This photo could have gone either way – a dreary scene or a stunningly beautiful one – all a matter of perspective. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

5. A lovely post that matches the prompt perfectly, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

6. Beautiful combination of prose and poetry made it fascinating. Keep blogging. Do share your views on my challenge on writephoto.

7. inese says:

Beautiful moment is captured on camera, and I love your inspiring response, Diana. You always focus on the best in everything xx

8. Staci Troilo says:

That was lovely. You really have a way with words; few writers today take the time to craft something so evocative.

Beautiful as always, Diana!

10. Reblogged this on Frank J. Tassone and commented:
    #Haiku Happenings #6: D. Wallace Peach’s latest #TankaProse for Sue Vincent’s current #writephoto!

11. J.D. Riso says:

“The morning sun casts rainbows in my eyes” …just sublime, the poem as well. Perfect for the magic of spring.

12. From dark to light, from gloomy to bright, your poetry and story make rainbows flow in my mind like a kite. xo

• Ha! A poetic comment! I liked how Sue’s image could go either way, Pam, dreary or beautiful. I didn’t notice the prismatic colors until after I started writing – talk about needing to heed my own message. Lol. Have a wonderfully bright day. ❤

13. I love “She steps aside and beckons me to stand in her place.” How we perceive the world around us depends on where we stand. As you mentioned you didn’t see the rainbow at your first glance. How profound it is that we rush through time without seeing the rainbow.

Thank you for sharing this Haibun. Hope your parents are settled.

• Thanks, Miriam. I have to constantly remind myself to look for the rainbows. Human nature perhaps. My parents are settling in, but it will be a slow process. Thanks so much for asking about them. Have a wonderful day, my friend. ❤

• I’m in a good company with you constantly looking for the rainbows. My 89 years old mother-in-law is living by herself, refuses to make any changes. It’s hard on the grown children as they have many responsibilities. ❤

14. Lovely! Perspective is so important and easy to lose track of the fact we can always change it. Thanks for the sweet reminder.

15. I absolutely love your poem Diana!💕

16. Jina Bazzar says:

it’s always a matter of perspective, right? It’s been a while since i read one of those here, Diana, and as always, great piece.

Diana, welcome back! A beautifully poetic return and the combination of styles works a treat. We need to be reminded about the rainbows around us as ‘A new perspective beckons’!

Hope all has gone as smoothly as possible with your parent’s move/house sale and settlling into their home. x

• Thank you for the lovely comment, Annika. It feels good to be writing again and the prompt was inspiring. (I didn’t even notice the rainbow colors at first – so it really was a change in perspective for me). My folks are doing well. Next week, I’ll head up for a couple days to check in. It’s just a 3 hr drive instead of a flight and full day of traveling! Yay. Have a lovely week, my friend, and Happy Writing!

18. mylilplace says:

Diana, welcome back! What a beautiful reminder and poem to find the light in the dreary. Love the combination! The gorgeous details and the picture that unfolds in my mind…how I love your writing, my friend. ❤️ Thank you for this. I needed it today…

19. Jane Lurie says:

Wonderful post, Diana. And I love your poem at the end. Thank you for teaching me what a haibun and tanka are in poetry. 🙂

20. It’s rare for haibuns to be so, so well matched between poem and prose pieces! Wow, what an excellent tanka, and the pairing with the story was spot-on!

• Thank you! What a lovely comment, HR. My writing feels a little rusty after almost a month, so Sue’s prompt was a good opportunity to get the laptop tapping. I do try to relate the pieces and I’m glad it worked. 🙂 Happy Writing!

A beautiful combo Diana. Love the Haibun. 🙂 xx

22. Diane, I really enjoy your gorgeous hybrid poem, by any name, simply an endearing immersion into all that is beautiful. Thank you for this uplifting moment in a week saddened by the burning of Notre Dame and the attacks in Sri Lanka. Poets like you help us see the rise at the bottom of such depths.

• Thank you, Sharon. The world certainly has its cruelties and sorrows. I hope that we can also make time and effort to see the beauty. It will sustain us while we create a kinder tomorrow. I’m so glad you enjoyed my little poem(s). It feels good to be writing again! Have a wonderful week.

23. Dawn D says:

Beautiful, as always!

24. Here you are again – Hurrah!! Beautifully written – don’t we all, at some time or other, need that little reminder to shift our perspective, look a little more carefully and choose to step into the light……. You carry this message so very well xo

Beautifully written, Diana. Perspective is everything. 🙂

26. memadtwo says:

to have rainbows cast in your eyes…what could be better? (K)

27. Mae Clair says:

Beautiful. As always your descriptive prowess is front and center.

28. Val Boyko says:

Wonderful story and poem Diana! It reminds me of one morning waking up at my Mum’s house and there was so much mist coming from the sea, I couldn’t see the road. Dreary Spring day, help us find and appreciate the unexpected lightness.🌈

29. What a perfect piece to read this rainy morning and a gentle reminder that there are gifts waiting for us if we move a foot or two to the right or left…on a lovely walk through the park yesterday afternoon, my own shoes squished through damp, lush green grass and your words made me smile. Welcome back, Diana, this is beautiful and so is the lovely poem!

30. Thought I was right there with you, Diana. I smiled when your hostess offered her spot for a different perspective. It reminded me of walking with my mother. 🙂

31. I love this gloomy darkness with the sun exploding behind it. Wonderful image–and the poetry is perfect.

32. You created a lovely image with this haibun/tanka combo, Diana. Today the sun is shining here, previous 4 days was exactly as you wrote. Welcome to Spring.

33. Perfect essay and poem for today’s dreary spring day. But now rather than complain about it, I’ve got a new perspective, darn it! Haha!

34. A lovely haibun, Diana. Were your writing about Ireland?

35. Diana, this is absolutely beautiful ❤️

36. joylennick says:

You paint such lovely pictures with your words, Diana. Thank you. x

37. balroop2013 says:

Even spring seems specious when thoughts thwart positivity. Thanks for inspiring the “awakening light” Diana. Beautiful!

38. Jen Goldie says:

I followed your footsteps and envisioned your experience the entire time, down to the wet feet 😊 Just a lovely read thank you Diana.

39. Beautiful, Diana. It is all about our perspective, isn’t it?

40. How very lovely this is. ❤

41. This is so “spring in the Pacific Northwest.”

42. Sue Vincent says:

There’s always another way 😉

43. Violet Lentz says:

How simple it is to change ones perspective and how ardently we fight against it. These thoughts came to my mind as I read your beautiful words.

44. Nice to pop back and have the first thing I read be yours. 🙂

45. A lovely poem and perspective. May we welcome what is.

46. I was so much taken with your writing that I forgot to thank you for sharing my poem.

Thank you and I hope everything is well with you.