Diana’s March poem: you left me behind

pixabay image from Natan Vance

you left me behind

by D. Wallace Peach

you left me behind

because I was born in the barrio

in a shack by flooded rivers

in the dusty winds of drought

didn’t speak your tongue

or worship your god

the one who bade you

love the children

I am the meek

you left behind

because I toiled in cane fields

watched the dawn ripple through fish nets

over dying turquoise waters

tended my father’s reindeer

on the tundra’s barren crust

I bear no papers to witness my learning

my worth in coins or accounts

my worth in belonging

as a human being

I am too young, too crooked, too old

too homeless, too hungry

the wrong color emblazoned across my face

the wrong size, gender, ethnicity

the wrong way to love

to be

you needed a stranger to blame

and I am left behind

one who might have cured the ill

housed the poor

fed the hungry

ended your wars

lit a planet

and saved

you

left me behind

169 thoughts on “Diana’s March poem: you left me behind

1. This post makes me want to give this monthly prompt thing.

2. Adele Marie says:

This is an amazing poem, Diana. So thought provoking and a voice for all of us left behind. ❤

3. I’m fond of Steve Jobs. Your poem is powerful and I could see many kids like Steve Jobs left behind and we have no idea of what we’re doing to the future of our country.
    Good to hear you had a good sleep.
    Have a wonderful week!

4. Staci Troilo says:

Brilliant. Honest. Poignant. True.

I know a lot of words, but none seem adequate to express the power of this poem and how it moved me. Nicely done.

5. Sorry, WP give me no chance to like or reblog. ;-(

6. Sounds a little bit sad, but wonderful written. Love it! Best wishes, Michael

7. Diana, this should be required reading in schools, and for all politicians and people of faith and those without faith.
    Brilliant, poignant, and true. Instead of saying more, I’m going to read this poem again.

8. Powerful poetry, Diana…

9. ivor20 says:

Sometimes an image prompt can be an inspirational tool for a great piece writing. I found your poem, brilliantly poignant and deeply topical…

Powerful words Diana. A moving piece for sure! ❤

11. Reblogged this on Art by Rob Goldstein and commented:
    from The Myths of the Mirror

12. ghostmmnc says:

You just never know what brilliant ideas might come from those left behind and discounted because they are ‘too’ whatever the case might be. So sad that the world, their countries, or even their communities will not recognize the worth of others that are right there in front of them.
    Wonderfully stated in your poem, Diana.

13. I wish this poem could be printed on the front page of every newspaper of every state and every country. We must not, should not, leave him/her behind.
    But yes, as you state earlier, I’m afraid your readers here all know that and soak up your heartfelt words. How I wish they could be ‘felt’ by all.

14. rijanjks says:

Wow! Such emotion! It drips with sadness.

15. I know that one day we will regret our treatment of so many elements of society that are excluded and dismissed..they say in business.. be careful of who you step on as you climb the ladder of success as you will meet them again on the way down! terrific poem Diana,.♥

16. Lyn Horner says:

So sad and beautiful and true. Thank you, Diana.

17. Violet Lentz says:

Words to tear at one’s heartstrings.. Thank you for reminding me of the worth to be found in everyone..

18. A powerful take on the prompt D. Hope things are progressing well on the moving front 🤗

19. So poignant and powerful, all to fall on the deaf ears it is addressed to. Beautifully written, Diana.

• You make a great point, Damyanti, about the deaf ears. The ones who are touched by this sort of writing are the ones who already understand the injustice and waste of potential. Have a lovely day.

20. acflory says:

Oh this….this is something special, spoken from the heart. I hear you.

21. So sad, yet so beautifully expressed, Diana.

22. memadtwo says:

Too many, too many…(K)

23. Suzanne says:

Brilliant. Your poem effectively draws to a close the diverse range of views that have been expressed by those responding to your image prompt during March. It all sums up what is going on in our world at present. It really touched me.

Beautiful and powerful. This one really spoke to me, Diana.

Beautiful, Diana – but it rips my heart out.

26. inesephoto says:

Well said, Diana. There are too many people in the world who are left behind. In fact, almost all old people are left behind. xx

• In the US, the young are being shortchanged too, Inese. Honestly, here, every non-privileged person is in jeopardy. It’s sad and a waste of immense potential. I’m glad you enjoyed the poem. ❤

• inesephoto says:

Diana, I have been thinking about your poem last nigh. About all the precious humans around the world, geography and regimes, wealth and poverty, potentials never achieved, and potentials wasted. About the life in the US and other countries. I sent my daughter to the US when she was only 19. I never told her she was ‘unprivileged’ – which she sure was from the society’s point of view. I told her – you can do it. I wish all young people were loved and told the right things. For me, ‘left behind’ means that there is no love for those people. No one genuinely cares. ❤

• I agree that strong family connections and love are vital, Inese, and the stories of children overcoming barriers are inspiring. It’s the worst situation of all when a child faces not only cultural and institutional barriers, but lacks even family support. So much potential is lost, and we will never know what might have been. Thank you for taking the time to think about the poem and share your heart. ❤

27. What a beautiful and heart-wrenching poem, Diana…I felt like I traveled the world as I read your words, saddened that so many are left behind.

Diana, this is a heartwrenching poem; a desperate plea from a voice representing all those in need, ‘left behind’. Evocative and beautifully written, its succinct structure adding power.

• Thank you, Annika. What I really hoped to convey was not only the plea of those in need, but also that we all suffer when we allow a person’s potential to be wasted. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, my friend.

29. balroop2013 says:

A lament from a torn heart, a heart-felt craving! Thank you Diana for articulating the feelings of a child who couldn’t say anything. Love it.

30. This poem is incredible, Diana. I really loved it.

31. An extraordinarily poignant, excellent poem. Love it!

32. Silent Hour says:

I think this is the first poem ever I read by you. Whatever you write, your mastery is there. Your sensitivity too.

33. “the wrong way to love…” How many of us have felt this at times?

• Too many. So many people disenfranchised and dismissed and left behind. It makes me angry and sad for all the lost potential and joy. Thanks for the comment, Evelyn. Have a wonderful Sunday. ❤

34. mylilplace says:

So beautiful and incredibly sad, Diana. I couldn’t help but think of the immigrants and their children so cruelly treated and turned away because they have nothing…and are of “the wrong color”. This touched me deeply, Your kindness and compassion, as usual, shines through your work.

• Thank you so much for stopping by to read. I was thinking of the immigrants too, but even broader than that too. So many people are denied the opportunity to achieve their potentials. A loss for all of us. I hope your day is filled with wonder and beauty. 🙂

35. An incredibly awesom poem! Love it! ♥♥♥

36. mistermuse says:

Beautiful.

When we are told that we should respect the office of President (and others in positions of authority), we MUST ask why we should respect politicians who don’t respect us (all human beings)?

• I love your politics. You have a kindred spirit here. When we deny people opportunity, we shortchange the future for all of us. It’s a sad state of affairs. I’m glad you enjoyed this one. ❤

37. Beautifully evocative and sad reflections on our world. Well done Diana.

38. Its such a pleasure to read through your posts. Firstly, they are short which makes the reader want to read more (I guess that is how I kept reading the next one by default). Secondly, what a talent to add meaning to the limited word count that you select. Its truly remarkable. All the best to you!

• Thank you for the kind words. The prompt has brought in stories of all different lengths, but I usually do try to keep my posts short-ish. I’m glad you enjoyed them and hope you stop by again. 🙂

39. Your words ring true in your heartfelt poem.

40. Diana, this is really intriguing. You’ve worded this so beautifully that one can visualize the scene line-by-line. Not many can do that. Great job done. 🙂

41. Wow, Diana, you gave chills. This is exceptionally written, and sadly, true.. . .

42. Val Boyko says:

So moving Diana. Thank you for touching our hearts. ❤️

43. Brutal images so beautifully written.

44. Captivating from the first word!👌