Aether Prompt Winner: D. Wallace Peach

For all you speculative-fiction-prompt writers, Jason runs a micro-fiction (99-word or less) weekly prompt. He graciously gave me the win on this one. Stop by his site to read his stories and check out the weekly prompts. 🙂 Thanks, Jason!

Aethereal Engineer

The ever awesome D. Wallace Peach of Myths of the Mirror has won the January 23rd Aether Prompt with a haunting little passage about going home…

I couldn’t remember most of the day or when the blizzard started. But I knew my plane home from the war was leaving soon, and I’d be mighty sorry to miss it. My keys weren’t in my pocket, but my papers were—name, address, serial number—tucked there by my children. “Just show them to the officer,” they said.

Still in slippers, my feet ached with cold. I needed my boots, but there wasn’t time now. The airfield lights glowed through the snow, my plane’s props whirling. The old boys greeted me beneath the white wings and flew me home.

Congratulations! Now you’re in the running for the 2019 AETHEREAL ENGINEER WRITER SUPPORT PRIZE PACKAGE! How might she, or possibly you, perchance win such fabled treasure…

View original post 16 more words

62 thoughts on “Aether Prompt Winner: D. Wallace Peach

1. Jordy says:

Just moving emotion in such few words. Masterful, Diana! Congratulations!

2. Congratulations on your fantastic achievement! Thank you for setting a great example and inspiring other writers such as myself to keep going despite the challenges! Wishing you showers of more victories to come.

It amazes me how much you can say in so few words, Diana – well done!

4. Well done, Diana! Haunting, I think, and definitely deserving of the win. So much in so few words. Congrats on your win 😀

5. Congratulations on your win 🙂 I’ve been meaning to try the Aether prompts, but not got round to it yet!

6. Congratulations Diana, it is a sad little story, with superb imagery, well done.

I love this one, Diana. And congratulations!

8. Trust me, but I didn’t read this as sad… I went straight to alien abductions 😳… visions of ‘close encounters’ when all the abductees were let out of the mother ship and reunited with their loved ones, came to mind. Sorry – I’m just warped 🥴
    Congratulations on the win!

9. What a wonderful story. It gave me shivers, knowing that is how it happens, over and over.

10. Diana, this is awesome, one can’t go wrong with your prompt. 😊💞

11. Joanne Sisco says:

I left my comment on Jason’s blog. Congratulations and well done, Diana!

12. On reading, I can understand why this flash fiction piece won, Diana. Congratulations. —- Suzanne

13. mylilplace says:

A sad story but wonderfully written. I read it a few times and a different detail jumped out at me every time. Congrats on a very well-deserved win! So proud of you!

14. memadtwo says:

Wow…well deserved, congrats. Just wonderful. (K)

Congratulations, Diana. A beautiful win. 🙂

16. Almost Iowa says:

That there is some gorgeous writing.

17. You are amazing Diana – such a beautiful depiction of the end. Or a beginning.

18. trentpmcd says:

Great micro-fiction. Congratulations.

19. Wonderful! Congratulations, Diana.

20. Congratulations Diana – strange how connections work – I’ve known you a little while now – as it happens after being a runner up to you in a writing competition – we started exchanging comments as we do so often now. And then there’s Jason – who I know from Twitter – we both write to WIP related prompts on #1lineWed and its like – but I never knew he blogged – I do now through you – and following.

21. The imagery is beautiful, Diana. My heart is heavy, but in a bittersweet way. Congratulations on the win.

22. Congratulations, Diana. Such a sad little story and sweetened with the idea of going home. I hope he recognizes it.

23. Beautiful, Diana. Makes me think of my grandma with her dementia ❤

24. Oh, no giving the win away on this one, Diana! 🙂 Your words earned your victory 100%, it was a great little microfiction! Thank you for your ongoing participation, you’re welcome anytime. 🙂