Gesundheit! by Andrea Stoeckel

Andrea doesn’t have a blog, so I’m sharing her complete story based on February’s prompt here. I hope you enjoy!

Pixabay image by Marianne Sopala

Gesundheit!

“Oh! Ahh! That feels so much better!”, said the young elephant. “My nose gets so itchy sometimes.”

From the crook of the tree, he heard a ruckus of squeaks as a half a dozen mice struggled out of what appeared to be an attic window. “It didn’t feel better to us I’ll have you know!” said the larger one as he stood up peering at the pachyderm. “And who or better yet WHAT are you?”

“I am an Asian ele..ele..ele..Elephant, at least that’s what the zookeeper says I am. He also says I am a lot of trouble because…”, he hung his head, ”I’m allergic to peanuts”!

“I have tried them”, squeaked the mouse, “and they are not anything to sneeze at. I know they are treats that two-footers discard. Very nice, but too much work for us.” “Now, please tell us why you are shaking our house up?”

“I have an itchy nose and I can’t scratch it, but your house can! I am sorry if it shook you up. What can I do? I had no clue that stuff the kids threw had peanuts, and I got so itchy I rubbed myself out of the enclosure and have been lost ever since…and, it’s getting dark. It’s cold. It’s snowing. I want my Momma!” He began to cry.

The grandmother mouse moved to the front of the group on the roof. “Little man, we might be able to help each other. If you could let us get back inside and very carefully carry our house to the zoo, maybe the keepers will let us stay too. My grandfather worked at the zoo when I was just a baby and he brought home the most marvelous things.”- she closed her eyes- “salty, sweet things and it was in a safer area, warmer too.”

So, Baby Elephant waited for the mice to scurry back into the house, and very slowly and carefully picked the house up by his trunk, and with the mice helping navigate, they all arrived back to his enclosure at the zoo. Momma Elephant trumpeted so loud Baby almost dropped his new friends’ house. When the keeper saw Baby, he was so happy!

Baby explained as best he could about how the mice had saved him, with an occasional squeak from the mice. Although they couldn’t stay IN the zoo, keeper knew a place right outside in a hollowed out tree where the house would be safe and the mice could scrounge for leftovers…but, they all agreed, NO PEANUTS would be harmed in the making of this pact. On this they all agreed!

39 thoughts on “Gesundheit! by Andrea Stoeckel

1. Sarah says:

Such a sweet and lovely story! This could be well turned into a children’s book! ☺

2. Oh this was just lovely. It’s so heartwarming to read just a good wholesome story.

3. balroop2013 says:

Soft and gentle stories are vanishing these days. This one seems like a breath of fresh air. 🙂

4. Fantastic! Great dialog (you really nailed the characters) and story! My favorite line was the when the mouse said “…they are not anything to sneeze at” when talking about peanuts. Witty and fun all the way through! I really enjoyed reading 🙂

5. A delightful read. A children’s book could easily bloom from this.

6. Ah, that was a nice story to unwind a little too.

7. Resa says:

Such cute story!

8. Jordy says:

Wonderful story and well written!!

9. Delightful story and gentle on peanuts. 🙂

10. What a cute story! Nicely done, Andrea. Thanks for sharing, Diana!

11. Almost Iowa says:

I don’t think I would want to be anywhere near a sneezing elephant.

Thanks for a most delightful story, and glad everything worked out, especially without harming peanuts.

12. AmyRose🌹 says:

This is adorable. Loved it! Thank you!

13. Sadje says:

A marvelous story. Loved it.

14. joylennick says:

Delightful. I feel a happy eight years old again….Wow! (I’m quite ancient!) x

15. Aww, that was a cute one. Thanks for the morning blog happiness.