Faded Valentines #Tanka Tuesday

glittered
valentines
gifts for mommy
scribbled words of love
fly from children’s fingers
to rest in attic boxes
while affections stray to others
and in the dawn of a winter’s day
she unfolds her faded hearts, loved anew

In honor of Valentine’s Day, an etheree for
Colleen’s #tanka Tuesday.
No prompt words this week.

And a bonus!
My Grandson’s Valentine’s Day Poem
(age 5)

Love is red
Love makes me happy
Love is connected to peace
Love is about Martin Luther King
I love my family
more than infinity

94 thoughts on “Faded Valentines #Tanka Tuesday

1. A lovely ode to those heartfelt and handmade cards we created in elementary school! Love it!

2. Sarah says:

What a beautiful poem by your grandson! I really love it! And yours too of course!! 😄❤

3. rivrvlogr says:

“valentines for mommy” – I recently opened a box of my mother’s belongings that hasn’t seen light for ten years. Apparently, it hadn’t been sorted very well at the time of her death, because it included a valentine my sister made 50 years ago. My sister was delighted when I returned it to her.

Sounds like your grandson is a budding poet, Diana, lol! And I love yours – still have some of those valentines from my boys.

5. jazzytower says:

I do love both of these. I do agree that they mirror each other. You are definitely winning the battle against his absorption in video games. A good start to my day. Keep on!😊

Pat

6. inesephoto says:

Your poem touched my heart, Diana. I too have a few Valentines signed ‘Your beloved (!) admirer’ in my trinket box. Beloved admirer is my daughter 🙂
    I love your grandson’s poem about love. He didn’t miss anything 🙂 He is such a sweet boy ❤

7. antoniazen says:

I love both of these poems; one seems a mirror or response for the other. Your grandson sounds amazing. I love that you have folded generations of love and creativity into these two poems!

8. […] Faded Valentines, #Ethereegluedglitteredvalentinesgifts for mommyscribbled words of lovefly from children’s fingersto rest in attic boxeswhile affections stray to othersand in the dawn of a winter’s dayshe unfolds her faded hearts, loved anewAnd a bonus!My Grandson’s Valentine’s Day Poem(age 5)Love is redLove makes me happyLove is connected to peaceLove is about Martin Luther KingI love my familymore than infinityD. Wallace Peach […]

9. Wonderful tanka, Diana. So nostalgic. And I love the intro to your grandson’s creative writing. My grandson is quite taken with the word ‘infinity’ too. I don’t think I used that word in a sentence until I was in high school.

10. Beautiful tanka, Diana! Very sweet. And your grandson is quite the poet as well!

11. Jordy says:

So sweet, Diana. Happy Valentines Day!!💕

So it seems writing talent runs in the family. 🙂

13. What to do with all these is such a dilemma

14. Oh my gosh, your grandsons poem is the cutest!!

15. Sue Vincent says:

These are the best Valentines.

16. Solitaire says:

Talent runs in the family! Beautiful! Happy Valentine’s day!🌹

17. Elisabet says:

Sweet! He must take after you💐

18. Ocean Bream says:

The first one was simply heartbreaking, and the second just made my heart melt! A five year old genius is on your hands Diana. I am so curious about his ‘love is Martin Luther King’ line.

• It’s Black History Month here in the US and I’m certain he’s learning more about MLK Jr. in school. I was so tickled by the different ways he defines and thinks about love. 🙂 Thanks for the kind comment, Lenora. ❤

• Ocean Bream says:

That is amazing, I thought it was very informed for a 5 year old. They really don’t do that sort of thing for 5 year olds here – well not the ones I have worked with. Just shows you can talk about complex things with little ones because they do pick some things up!

19. Wonderful Valentine’s from you and your amazing grandson, Diana. Pefect poems to celebrate love! ❤ xoxo

20. I took a trip back in time while reading your tanka, Diana. Thanks! Your grandson’s poem is so sweet. What a doll.

21. Diana, your poem is so nostalgic. It’s wonderful! Your grandson’s is priceless!! Frame it! ❤

22. Love both of these, Diana, but your grandson’s is priceless 🙂

23. These poems are amazing. Your grandson’s poem was quite sophisticated for his age.

24. Duke says:

Good stuff!

25. Both beautiful poems. Family is indeed precious.

26. How sweet that you and your grandson are writing together! Both poems are lovely tributes to love and family. ❤

27. Lyn Horner says:

Reblogged this on Lyn Horner's Corner and commented:
    Valentines for Moms

28. I loved both of these, Diana! Your grandson has obviously inherited your gift of writing. And his last line….so sweet! Thanks for sharing.

29. The V Pub says:

Both are beautiful, Diana.

30. noelleg44 says:

Your grandson has real talent – wonder where he gets it!

31. memadtwo says:

Those Valentines are the best! (but beware the glitter) This made me smile. (K)

32. Mae Clair says:

What beautiful, sweet treats. Happy early Valentine’s Day, Diana!

33. Oh, Diana! Your words touched my heart. I have bins filled with my children’s cards! My favorite is the fact that you are instilling a love of poetry in your grandson’s heart. We need more artistic loving people in this world. Give that little guy a HUGE hug from me. ❤

34. These were so sweet that I bet I have diabetes now.

35. mylilplace says:

Precious and touching poems. Thank you for sharing them. ❤️ I still keep all the valentine’s cards from my kids….and you captured the sentiment so well. Your grandson is a talented writer with a big and loving heart, just like you.

36. Sadje says: