For Beauty #Writephoto

For Beauty

For all the destruction
The stains of ruin
Watermarks where rain
Rots through faith
For all the desecration of children
Corruption, extinction, and floating garbage
The bombs and bones and torn and aching flesh
For all the wretched jabber of apathy, short memories
Spittle of hatred, tears of living tragedies
Void of tomorrows

There persists
In the shy dreams of the heart
A spark of yearning
For beauty

In response to The Daily Echo’s Thursday #Writephoto prompt. Photo and prompt by Sue Vincent.

107 thoughts on “For Beauty #Writephoto

1. […] via For Beauty #Writephoto β€” Myths of the Mirror […]

2. Ocean Bream says:

This reminds me of a book by Michael Morpurgo called ‘Oranges in No Man’s Land’. Your words are moving, in a way that is so close to the heart. The closer we are connected to the world, the more horror we see and hear about. In a way that people of the past were spared from. But you’re right, there is hope – my favourite line ‘shy dreams of the heart’ – reminds me of Lucy Maud Montgomery! πŸ™‚ The reason people keep fighting for life and their rights is because of those very shy dreams ❀

• What a lovely comment, Lenora. It’s easy for me to forget when watching the news that there are people out there every day standing up for others, being compassionate and kind and generous, teaching, caring, loving, and creating beauty. We have to keep them in our vision and remember that there is still plenty of goodness in the world. πŸ™‚ ❀

3. mylilplace says:

These words of yours…so honest and moving, Diana…I have missed them so. There is a sense of hope at the end of the poem that I truly appreciate. It speaks for so many of us and how we feel about today’s environment. Thank you for this poem.

4. Well done, Diana! So gloomy at the start, but love the bright at the end. May we all get to the bright sooner rather than later, and out-shine the gloom.

5. Glad you could see the light in the darkness. If more people thought this way, the world would be a better place. Nice post.

• Thanks you, Michele, for the thoughtful comment. I think there is often a glimpse of light when things are at their darkest. Somewhere around the gloomy corner there are still people striving to make the world kinder, more compassionate, more beautiful. That gives me a lot of hope for humankind. ❀

A spark of hope in all the darkness. Loved this one, Diana.

7. Reblogged this on K. D. Dowdall and commented:
    This beautiful poem by D. Wallace Peach, I believe, is very representative our latent views as writers. As we view the glaring changes surrounding us, that are not good for humanity, faith, and our way of life. Please read and comment, if you chose to do so. Thank you!

8. I knew you wouldn’t lead us down the pathway of despair without a light at the end. And true to my faith in you and your optimism, you did not disappoint me. Lovely poem, Diana.

9. My first thought, when I read your stunning words, was…an elegant despair, wisely felt with faith, still, to carry forward burdens unbidden for hope shall shine through it all.
    Diana, this, your poem, is so beautiful and meaning so deep, that it just doesn’t end.

• Thanks so much for the lovely comment, Karen. I’m prone to pessimistic gloom, but I’m also a witness to people being incredibly loving, compassionate, generous, and creative. All of that is a manifestation of beauty, which gives me hope. ❀ Have a beautiful week.

• Often times, a sense of gloom can lead to the most beautiful writing, as you did, and that leads to other people, collectively sighing, knowing, that something must be done. And, then, other people wake up to the reality around them and things begin to change, hopefully for the better. We just have to wake up and get our heads out of the sand, because writers and poets do change the world and most often cause great changes…so let there be changes for good, I hope.

10. rijanjks says:

“A spark of yearning…” YES! Just beautiful, Diana!

11. Widdershins says:

All we need is a tiny bit of hope. πŸ™‚

12. A very powerful and thought provoking poem Diana. The world sure needs a lot more beauty right now. Happy New Year.

13. Just mesmerizing, Diana. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

14. cath says:

Ooh, lovely. That second stanza (the pot/trunk?) is the perfect balance to the first part. What a beautifully phrased and designed piece of writing.

• Thank you, Cath. It’s funny how some poems come fully formed and the first draft never changes, and then some are so full of toil and are never done. This was the former, I’m pleased to say. πŸ™‚ I’m glad you enjoyed it. Happy Writing!

Wow! A incredibly powerful poem, Diana! You capture the dark and bleak moments of our time with great drama and vividly capture the despair of it all. Thankfully there is light, a hope that seems to keep us going:
    β€˜A spark of yearning
For beauty.’

16. Fiery says:

Gorgeous piece.

That last stanza. Amazing

17. Solitaire says:

Your drawing is as deep as your words ❀️

18. Mae Clair says:

Stunning as always! You spin music with words.

19. Lyn Horner says:

Beautiful and oh so true.

20. Sue Vincent says:

Perfect, Diana. I love the contrast between the two parts of the poem.

21. Suzanne says:

Sometimes I think it is the yearning for beauty and the finding of it that uplifts us and keeps us going despite all the mayhem.

22. Wow, great ending. I was getting pretty miserable reading the first part then boom, the pick-me-up. Skilfully done Diana!

23. May the spark start a wildfire of love… Beautiful reminder, Diana!

24. memadtwo says:

You’ve caught the melancholy and the yearning. But also hope. it’s still there. (K)

25. babbitman says:

Love it. For all the bad, there persists the dream of good. So true in these trying times. ❀️

26. I love how you have taken all the woes of a life – of a world – and still reminded us that the love of beauty in all her many permutations is what makes our lives worthwhile. Beautifully written Diana ❀

27. Love the whisper of hope you injected into this piece, Diana. Beautiful ❀

28. Lovely poem. It speaks of the world we live in

29. Hope (and compassion) spring eternal. Lovely poem.

30. smilecalm says:

wonderful feeling
    the beauty return
    again πŸ™‚

31. balroop2013 says:

It is this spark, this yearning for what lies within a kind heart that keeps the world going! Women’s March and teacher’s March for human rights exemplifies that human spirit is alive.
    Thanks for compressing the cosmos in this poem.

32. Violet Lentz says:

What begins with so much tumult, ends so beauty-fully.

33. l love this Diana. The last stanza completely turned this poem on its head by way of meaning.

This is gorgeous writing, Diana. Dark, yet hopeful ‘in the shy dream’.

35. Jordy says:

Gorgeous And emotionally charged! Love it, Diana!!πŸ’«

36. Ooh, the poem has this spooky, dark feeling that matches the photo so well. It spoke to me because my spouse, who is Catholic, is currently trying to work through and in a faith in which the leaders have done some pretty terrible stuff (the line ‘desecration of children’ really got me, there). Anyway, even if you didn’t intend it, this poem really gave me time to think about this pain and difficulty. It was a good thing.

• Thanks so much for reading and reflecting on the poem. I wanted to cover a broad range of areas that bring despair in today’s world. Sadly the list could have gone on for pages. But the human capacity for hope, goodness, and beauty was the true message. Every one us has the ability to choose according to our conscience and make the world a kinder, more compassionate, and beautiful place. I loved the prompt and the idea for the poem was instant. ❀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )