The Mermaid, a zentangle and tanka

weave into my dreams

watery visions of pearls

even as I drown

let me drift with the fishes

charmed by your silvery tail

Something a little different!

Above is my first zentangle, a drawing I produced while my husband zoned out on Sunday football (borrrring). My effort was inspired by the lovely artist and blogger, Sarah, over at Art Expedition. Her posts are a delight, and I encourage you to visit her… and try a zentangle.

The poem is a tanka, inspired by Colleen’s #Tanka Tuesday poetry challenge. We had to use synonyms of Mystery (dream) and Attract (charmed). Colleen’s poetry challenges are huge fun, and she makes it easy to try new forms. Head over for a peek and perhaps give one a try.

Enjoy your creativity!

106 thoughts on “The Mermaid, a zentangle and tanka

1. Ocean Bream says:

The drawing is gorgeous! I did not know there was an artist in you! And the words go ‘swimmingly’ with it (maybe not so, as the narrator is drowning!). Mermaids are so loved but they are so sinister – I would never like to meet one in real life. Your words are ethereal and beautiful, as always. You have such a way with weaving them together. Happy writing!

2. Olga says:

Amazing art work and words that drifted me into a dream of an alternate reality. Lovely! ❀

3. memadtwo says:

This is lovely Diana. The drawing really reminds me of the one Nina just did for our Magnetic Oracle poem.
    And mermaids are always welcome! (K)

• Thank you, Kerfe. My mermaids are usually involved in drowning someone. Ha ha. I don’t know why, maybe to balance out their magical sweetness. πŸ™‚ I’m honored that you enjoyed this one. It was nice to turn off the computer for a couple hours. ❀

4. Such a talent! Beautiful drawing, and matching poem! Love them both!

5. Joanne Sisco says:

LOVE your zentangle!! You are obviously multi talented!

6. […] untitled, #Tankaweave into my dreamswatery visions of pearlseven as I drownlet me drift with the fishescharmed by your silvery tailD. Wallace Peach […]

7. Mick Canning says:

Very successful, Diana. The tanka, the drawing and their combination.

8. Dawn D says:

WOW! That drawing is… words fail me.
    Impressive, entrancing, charming (in a magical way).
    I wish I could produce this in such short time. But even with hours ahead of me, my line would not be as clear!
    And to read the words associated with it… Thank you!

• Hi Dawn, I don’t know what happened to my reply to your comment so I’m replying again. Thank you for the kind words. I’m glad you enjoyed my mermaid. πŸ™‚ It was that or zone out playing games on my phone. Hope you’re having a great week! ❀

• Dawn D says:

Great is probably not the word I would have chosen, but… I’m surviving so far, so it’s not all bad!
        I’ll probably write about it (even if I’ve just hit publish on a sort of… stream of consciousness post).
        Hoping your week is going great! ❀

Diana, this is fabulous!

10. Violet Lentz says:

I believe I would feel quite the same if I was ever introduced to a mermaid. They enchant me.. This was beautiful.

11. janmalique says:

The mermaid is quite magical as are the words. Sinuous and fluid.

Wow. Beautiful work, Diana.

13. Solitaire says:

Zentabgle, fabulous!😊

14. michnavs says:

Wow Diana..watching football ang doing that?…such a talent.

15. balroop2013 says:

That drawing is incredibly beautiful Diana! How can one person possess so much of talent! I am speechless!!

16. What the…? No fair! You shouldn’t be a brilliant writer AND be able to draw! How in the world can the rest of us compare? πŸ™‚
    Truly, it’s a lovely drawing and makes a story pop in my head instantly (mermaid princess and her cursed lover, who’s forced to be a fish every day of the year but one, and on that day she has the chance to win him back…).

17. Val Boyko says:

I love this new creative expression Diana❣️ Embrace it fully and please keep sharing!

18. Oh, such talent! Wonderful, wonderful…

19. Lyn Horner says:

I love your poem and zentangle! I also find football and most other sports boring, except for TCU (Texas Christian University U.) It’s my daughter’s alma mater and our home team here in Fort Worth. Supporting the Hornfrogs is a given in our house. I actually cheer when they score. πŸ™‚

• Thanks, Lyn. I was worried I might offend football fans. The “boring” was deleted and then added back in for the final post. It’s all in fun. I’m glad you enjoyed the post, my friend. “Go Hornfrogs!”

• Lyn Horner says:

I wouldn’t worry, Diana, about offending football fans. They’re pretty thick-skinned. And there are plenty of us non fans who suffer through our spouse’s screaming at the tv when a player flubs up. Personally, I have learned to bury my head in my laptop and close my ears. :))

20. I thought your lovely mermaid was a coloring book page. I’m intrigued! So much, that I had to watch a training video on making zentangles because I must live under a rock. Beautiful. So is the tanka, Diana.

21. Bel says:

It’s not fair you draw as well as you write! I love your drawing and the poem (as always)

22. Lovely drawing and tanka full of flow and vibrancy!

23. You never cease to amaze me Diana – what an amazing piece of work to produce as an alternative to watching sport! I haven’t zentangled for several years – this was inspiring πŸ™‚

• Well, Pauline, if you feel inspired, be sure to post your drawing. It was fun. My husband had no idea what I was doing or why. Ha ha. But he didn’t interrupt my focus. I’m so glad you enjoyed it. πŸ˜€ Thanks for the visit!

24. If only I didn’t love football so much, perhaps I would have time to write a Tanka, Diana. (I’m not going to hold it against you that you think football is boring). But to do an exquisite drawing, too? I’ll leave that to your fabulous multi-talented self! So lovely.

25. Zentangle and Tanka … you’ve weaved your magic here, Diana!

26. Absolutely fantastical. ❀

27. Wait… you draw too, Diana? That is fabulous! What a lovely and whimsical piece to go along with your Tanka. You are just bursting with creativity! That’s amazing. ❀

28. Sarah says:

Oh, Diana! This is so beautiful!! I really love your sensuous mermaid! Are you planning on colouring it too? Because I really could see that. 😊 And thank you so much for the shout-out! πŸ˜„
    Can’t wait what you’re going to paint during the superbowl!! πŸ˜„β€

29. That’s your FIRST zentangle? Wow, it’s fantastic!

30. Mae Clair says:

Wow! I’m not sure what I’m impressed by more…the exquisite vision woven with words, or the gorgeous drawing. You are indeed gifted, Diana!

31. Zentangle? Lovely poem and drawing. A much better is of your time than watching the football.

• Thanks, Carol. I usually zone out playing silly games on my phone, but sometimes I feel like it’s such a waste of time. My fitbit sometimes records those hours as napping! Lol. This was much more fun and creative. Thanks for the visit!

• That sounds like a bit of a judgy fit-bit.
        Also, I wanted to let you know that your new writing prompt has sort of inspired me to go back and look at when I last posted a short story to my blog. It’s been almost a year. But I also found a load of much older short stories that get almost no traffic these days due to being publishing in 2012/2013. I’ve decided to go back and edit them and put them into a PDF document that can then be downloaded from my blog (hopefully). It won’t be done for a while but I’m re-posting a story a week as I edit them. Writing This Terrible Thing Called Hope sort of kick-started something in my brain.

32. You DREW that? Wow, your talent knows no bounds!

33. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Oh, beauty! Words and the drawing.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )