Spirals of Time #Writephoto

photo by Sue Vincent

I’ve always known I would travel here, to the heathered moors and verdant hills, to wander narrow roadways past stone cottages with views of the cold northern sea. Perhaps it was the Brontes or Hardy who first entranced me with the raw emotion that seems embedded in the very soil, that sweeps through castle ruins and keens across ancient cairns and holy places.

I couldn’t quite put my finger on the pulse of my yearning. But after my accident, I chose to wait no more.

The stone chapel was once part of a larger manor. It’s a quaint place of colored glass and worn reliefs, of strange carvings above its arched doorway. But also a place of layered faiths and archaic mysteries, imbued with ghosts of the past like a spiritual lodestone. I can no more ignore it than deny my heart to beat.

The day wanes, and I worry that the door might be locked. I give the latch a tug, and my fears prove true. Undaunted, I circle the perimeter, looking for another way in. To break in, frankly, though my intentions are harmless overall.

“Can I help you?”

The voice startles me, and I turn, sputtering apologies, only to encounter another shock. The fellow stands so close we nearly bump noses. “I was attempting to find a way in,” I explain, retreating a step.

“I can see that.”

“I’m from the US.”

“Do people from the US normally break into private chapels?”

“No!” My nerves force a laugh. “Not that I’ve heard of anyway. Rarely. I’ve… Well, this will sound strange, but I… It seems so silly really.” A blush pinks my face, and I stick out my hand. “I’m Daphne.”

“William. The guardian.” He takes my hand and bows, kissing it.

“The guardian?” I blink at him, flustered and nervous, but not afraid. He seems a part of this place, bonded to the stones and wildflowers, the crooked graveyard, and the weathered cross at the roof’s peak. I blow out an awkward breath. “What I meant to say is… I think destiny delivered me here, to this exact moment, to this chapel. It’s puzzling, but I feel as though I belong here and always have.”

“And I’ve been expecting you.” He smiles, looking quite noble, and sweeps his palm toward the door.

I laugh at his odd comment, but his kindness puts me at ease. He unlocks the door, and I enter without a sound. The room is tiny, though I hardly notice, my eyes drawn to a tomb illuminated by the sunlight lancing a slender window. “Whose tomb…?” I begin to ask, but William has withdrawn and awaits me in the garden.

The place is silent and still, and yet it’s thick with souls and reeling with the passage of time. I can scarcely breathe as I approach the tomb and gaze upon the sculpture of a knight. He appears asleep, his features tranquil and familiar. William’s face. A red rose, the only color in the gray-washed chapel, lies near his belt, and a white note in a woman’s script, my script, rests at its side.

Wait for me, my loyal knight, and trust my heart,
for through the spirals of time,
I will return.

My fingers pass through the paper without a flutter. I now know why I have come here. I am home.

Thanks to Sue Vincent for the beautiful Thursday #Writephoto prompt. It was hard to resist a little romance. ❤

121 thoughts on “Spirals of Time #Writephoto

1. Just beautiful, Diana. You do gallant, romantic knights well. 🙂 — Suzanne

2. Wow! This is wonderful, Diana! So much in so few words. Well done!

3. Gorgeous Diana and mesmerizing!

4. Bel says:

Your short stories always make me yearn for more! ❤️

5. inesephoto says:

Beautiful, Diana, thank you for the treat. I perked up my ears at the word ‘accident’ 🙂 Returning to where we belong feels so right.We must have a home somewhere.

6. I thought this was very beautiful, Diana. I loved her coming home.

7. This was mesmerizing to me, so many feelings floating around. Lovely.

This one gave me chills – soooo good!

9. rijanjks says:

Oh, my goodness! This story touched my heart, but I expect nothing less of Sue. So well-written and filled with mystical charm with a touch of romance. I loved it!

10. Beautiful write up 😊

11. Staci Troilo says:

I have goosebumps. Beautifully crafted.

12. reblogged on Pen and Paper.

13. Reblogged this on K. D. Dowdall and commented:
    This is the kind of writing I love that has magic, romance, ghosts, and mystery.

14. This is beautiful and the kind of writing I love to read. Thank you for sharing, Diane.

15. Oh the shivers and the feels with this one 🤗
    Her knight stayed true and waited for her… and I guess she stayed true to her own promise and returned, after a fashion.
    Lovely.

16. trentpmcd says:

Very nice, though my first thought was that Daphne will have to join William, at least in body, under the floor of the chapel before her spirit can join his…

17. This is such a lyrical, romantic piece, Diana. Thankyou for sharing.

18. Dewin Nefol says:

Namaste Diana 🙂

An enchanting read beautifully written, thoroughly enjoyed. I do so appreciate a happy ending 🙂

Have a wonderful week.

Namaste 🙂

DN

19. Violet Lentz says:

This is excellent. Thank you.

20. Silent Hour says:

Absolutely beautiful!

Beautiful writing, Diana, and beautifully descriptive. And a great ending!

22. babbitman says:

Wonderful little ghostly love story 😊

23. Lyn Horner says:

Breathtaking! The ending first gave me chills but then it warmed my heart. A beautiful love story!

24. Okay, wow! The descriptions are so visual, I felt like I was in that courtyard with Daphne and William- a voyeur to their meeting.
    Beautiful, Diana ❤

25. Thank you, Diana … this piece just brought peace to my day – Eric.

26. balroop2013 says:

I didn’t expect the ending to be so emotive Diana. You amazed me with it and added so much charm to it! A red rose must have inspired it. 🙂

27. I just came in from clearing 8 inches of snow (still falling) from my car, and stuck my frosty toes under an electric throw. But I don’t think that is what gave me a chill when I reached the end of this. Diana… it took my breath away. A lovely, enchanting story, and so beautifully told. Hugs.

• Thank you, Teagan. I so appreciate your kind comment. ❤ Eight inches of snow and still coming?? I miss snow, but not that much! We're going to reach 60 today in NW Oregon. It's been a weird winter. Stay warm, my friend, and be careful while shoveling. ❤

• Wow, a lovely day! Excellent.
        My back was already bothering me from relocation preparation. So I won’t be doing any actual shoveling. However if I didn’t get the car cleaned off before it froze, it would have been more than I could handle. (Made that mistake once before.) I’m looking forward to next winter in NM where the snow will melt super fast. ❤

28. Superbly done, Diana…

29. Wow. What a beautiful and evocative story!

30. Beautiful piece, Diana!

31. Ahh… Sigh. ❤ Mmm. I love the happy ending.

32. Sue Vincent says:

Areally lovely tale, Diana… and you capture the feeling of the land so well too.

33. So beautifully written Diana – I do love a little romance with my morning coffee 🙂

34. Love It! Very beautiful

35. A Most Lovely Piece! ♥

36. Ocean Bream says:

You don’t usually write romantic things, Diana – (or do you!?!) – but this was so gentle and beautiful and haunting. The very best, most subtle kind! 🙂

37. This was a pleasure to read. Love it.

38. Jordy says: