Ice Dragon

Many thanks to Jerry Packard for being the first to take up the prompt and write a story. Happy Reading!

Jerry Packard

“Ok Malic your up,” Simon said.

Malic latched the pull cord to his harness and prepared to enter the mouth of the serpent. This would be his last dive into the belly of the frozen beast, and his last time on the expedition. Three times out was all that was required to receive a lifetime of extra rations. He knew that he would not survive, but any extra rations were worth it if he did.

“How did the last miner do?” Malic asked Simon

“Made it to the wall, but died before he could grab any” Simon said

“Ok, I’m attached” Malic declared after checking the connections to the pulley system used to drag miners back out.

The colony’s last ember of brimstone was starting to flicker out, they had only days left. After crash-landing on this barren, sunless wasteland centuries ago the discovery of brimstone was what had saved…

View original post 676 more words

43 thoughts on “Ice Dragon

1. This is a great story! Thanks, Diana, for such a fun project. Off to read the next one 😀

2. jomz says:

I already read this story before you posted it here, mainly because I wanted to know what others were writing about. Hahaha…

It sure can be interesting how different our brains can run on a single picture.

It’s a great story.

3. Wow, this was truly a powerful story with such an admirable character knowing what was coming, still he forged on. Great imagery in this story also. Excellent work. Thanks for sharing, Diana.

4. Khaya Ronkainen says:

I haven’t read the story yet. But the view, oh my goodness…stunning!

5. What an imagination–and what a picture. Thoroughly enjoyed both.

6. What an imagination to create a world in such a short piece! Well done and an enjoyable read, Jerry.

7. balroop2013 says:

Congratulations Diana! Before I hop over to read this first contribution, I must thank you for an inspiring image. My muse has been twirling since she saw it. 🙂

• I would love to share a poem from you, Balroop, if you have the time. But no pressure, of course. I’m glad I gave a nudge to your muse. Lol. Thanks so much for stopping by to check out the prompt. 🙂 Happy New Year!

8. Great story, Jerry! Thanks for sharing, Diana.

9. Hopped over to read Jerry’s intriguing story. Thanks for sharing.

10. A great story. Reminded me of the amazing people who enclosed Chernobyl into concrete knowing full well they were receiving lethal doses of radiation.

11. Joanne Sisco says:

An imaginative and gripping story!

12. mistermuse says:

Forgive my nitpicking, but I think “your up” in the first sentence should be “you’re up” (unless Malic is in Europe). 🙂

13. A generous and delightful share! ♥️

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )