New Year, New Feature: a Speculative Fiction Writing Prompt

I wish you all a wonderfully creative, happy, healthy, and safe new year, full of laughter and love.

After 5+ years of blogging, I thought I’d try something new… finally. How about a Monthly Speculative Fiction Writing Prompt? Sue Vincent was the inspiration for this idea since I’ve loved participating in her weekly prompts (check out her extremely popular feature here.)

If you’re interested, here’s how it will work:

On the first of every month, I’ll post a speculative fiction prompt from Pixabay. These images are attribution free so you can use them on your blog without worrying about copyright restrictions.

Throughout the month, I’ll reblog your prompt-inspired stories, poems, reflections, writing. And on the last day of each month, I’ll share a complete round-up of all contributions with links to the original posts. Visiting the blogs of participants is a great way to meet other speculative fiction writers.

Below is January’s prompt. Post your response on your own blog and link back to this post with a pingback, so I can reblog your post as well as include you in the month-end round-up. There are no word limits or style restrictions, but please keep it somewhat family friendly.

If you’re unsure of how to create a pingback, Hugh has an excellent tutorialΒ here. If you prefer, you can copy and paste your link into the comments of this post.

Above all, have fun.

January’s #WritingPrompt

by Stefan Keller

267 thoughts on “New Year, New Feature: a Speculative Fiction Writing Prompt

1. Sarah says:

Wishing you a wonderful and Happy New Year with lots of joy, peace and creativity, Diana!!! πŸ˜„β€
    What a lovely idea to start this monthly prompt, I guess it will involve quite a lot of work. πŸ˜‰
    The picture you chose looks awesome – I can’t wait to see what everybody will come up with! 😊

• Thanks so much for the visit, Sarah. I figure once a month won’t be too much work. I’m also looking forward to seeing the variety of stories that come out of this. πŸ™‚ I hope you had a wonderful holiday season, my friend, and wish you a happy, healthy and creative new year. I’m still catching up from my break, but will be over soon to see what you’ve been up to. ❀

• Sarah says:

Hope you had a lovely break too, Diana, itΒ΄s so good to recharge those batteries from time to time, isnΒ΄t it? IΒ΄m really glad I did. πŸ™‚
        Just take care that you still find enough time for your own writings, hosting challenges can be quite demanding. Have a beautiful and fun weekend, my friend! ❀

• I think once a month should be manageable for the challenge, Sarah. A bit more work in some ways, but also fun. I’m planning to drop my own posts to once a week, so this is a nice way to fill in the gaps. And yes, I’m writing every day! ❀

2. I knew you’d start off the New Year with a bang of new creativity. What exactly do you mean by speculative fiction (the still-learning writer asks…) And do you have a word count?

3. Solitaire says:

Happy New Year! Your muse is working overdrive! Lol wonderful!❀️

4. Jina Bazzar says:

That’s a great feature and bound to get a lot of attention. I know ill be joining in, though not at the moment – too busy nodding off while i finish the last edits! haha, but i do wish you great success and a happy new year to you and your family.

• I’m so glad that you might join in when you’re less busy, Jina. Hopefully it will be fun for other writers, and I’m certainly looking forward to the reads. I hope your holidays were amazing, and wish you a wonderful new year. ❀ Happy Editing!

5. jomz says:

This is a great prompt idea. I have a story on the way. I did not expect it to be as long as it is now… heh… Let’s see where this leads, eh?

6. Excellent prompt, idea! I love Sue’s prompts, too, but haven’t been penning much micro. Got to get back to these.

Happy New Year! ❀

• Thanks, Sarah. I’m excited to see where the imagination takes everyone. I hope you’re well and writing, and of course, you are very welcome over here… any time. πŸ™‚ Happy New Year, my friend.

7. Great idea , happy new year

8. Adele Marie says:

Reblogged this on firefly465 and commented:
    A new feature speculative fiction writing prompt from mythsofthemirror.com

9. Jerry says:

Ok, done, let me know if my first ever ping back worked lol.

10. I love the idea. I won’t join but will enjoy reading!

• Thanks, Jacqui. I’m hoping that once-a-month prompts will elicit some no-pressure responses. I’m going to try get a series out for next fall and will be blogging less, so I thought this would be a good way to fill in the gaps. πŸ™‚ Hope you had a wonderful break. Happy New Year and Happy Writing!

11. noelleg44 says:

Sue really started something! Great image for this prompt, Diana!

• She did, Noelle. I’ve been wanting to do a speculative fiction prompt for a while and the timing seemed right. And once a month is about the right pace for me. Lol. I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Wishing you a bountiful new year in every way. ❀

12. Sue Vincent says:

Nice idea, Diana πŸ™‚ Running and participating in these prompts is a great way to meet new writers πŸ™‚

13. Staci Troilo says:

Happy New Year! Wishing you success on this new blogging topic. Looking forward to the results.

Diana, I love your idea and your first image is stunning! It is always inspiring to have visual prompts and helpful to have a deadline to work against. Also, so kind of you to offer to share the works on your blog. I can’t wait to read the creative pieces and hope to write one myself. I’m smiling at your link to Hugh’s post about ping backs … this proved invaluable in my early days of blogging. Reading his comment I see he’s going to do an updated video for the new editor … great idea! It took me ages yesterday to work out how to do ping backs and almost gave up! Happy Five Years of blogging … I’m now entering my fifth year and can’t believe how fast the time has flown. Have a wonderfully creative 2019, my friend. Xx

• I would love to see one of your stories here, Annika, or a poem or any piece of writing! But no pressure at all. It’s all for fun. And regarding Hugh, what can I say? He’s a great resource. πŸ™‚ I hope you had a wonderful holiday and wish you a fantastic new year of dreams come true. ❀

15. Good luck with the monthly writing prompt feature, Diana. And thank you for linking back to my post about creating a Pingback. I will need to update that post and include the instructions for those using the new Gutenberg editor, too There are no big differences, but I think visuals always help when learning how to do something.
    Happy New Year.

16. Reblogged this on Author Don Massenzio and commented:
    Check out this new feature from 2019 from this post on the Myths of the Mirror Blog.

17. Love the photo, Diana, and looking forward to seeing where this new idea of yours goes. I’m predicting a terrific response. So nice to see you back. Finding balance is one of my goals for 2019 (even though I’ve not made any formal resolutions). Your love of writing is always an inspiration for me!

Terrific idea for a fresh year, Diana. Welcome back and New Year!

19. Great idea and challenge, Diana. Thank you. Is there a word limit?

Wonderful idea, Diana!

• Thanks, Jennie. I thought it would be a fun one for anyone who’s interested in a little fantasy writing. I hope you had a wonderful holiday and got lots of rest before heading back to school. Happy New Year. πŸ™‚

• Jennie says:

The fantasy writing sounds absolutely fun and wonderful. I think it will be popular, and I look forward to reading the stories. Thank you, Diana. It was a wonderful holiday, and I’m thrilled to be back at school. Lots happening…stay tuned. πŸ™‚

21. Allie P. says:

Oh, this is a great challenge and that’s a really cool image. I am looking forward to reading what people do with it.

22. C.j. says:

Oops thought I was posting a comment 2 Hughs blog. It’s so hard 2 c on my phone. What a great idea tho. I love the thought o pinging others blogs. Thx Diana.

• Thanks, CJ. I was a little confused by the last comment and didn’t post it. I’m glad you made sense of it. πŸ™‚ Yes, I’ll share stories from other blogs as long as I know where to find them. πŸ™‚ Happy New Year and Happy Writing!

23. inesephoto says:

It is a great idea, and the image is just right for the winter πŸ™‚ Happy New Year, Diana! xx

24. Happy New Year, Diana! This sounds like a lot of fun! After I get book 2 done, I’ll have to “cleanse my palate” with a little spec fic. Hope your new year is full of joy, good fortune, and writing!

25. Welcome back. I love this idea, Diana. If I can figure out a way to use the prompts either in an introduction, or in my serial, I will play along.
    Happy New Year!

• πŸ˜€ No pressure, Teagan. I can’t believe how much writing you do. Did you even take a break?? I wish you a productive, but balanced, new year with plenty of fun, wonder, and adventure. Hugs. ❀

• It’s been a semi break with the current serial. I’m not really doing much writing. It’s already written, but I re-edit and reformat (often new images) each post. Other than that, no.
        However, (although I’m not talking about at my blog) I have filed retirement papers at work. I recently closed on a cottage in NM. I’ll be moving in the near future… I have crippling agoraphobia, so the 2000 mile drive is the biggest obstacle. I’m still working that out. So hoping for some true “balance” once I’m there and settled. πŸ˜€

26. Happy New Year, Diana! What a lovely idea…the haunting image has me thinking already…I hope you and yours had a wonderful holiday season!

27. C.E.Robinson says:

Happy New Year, Diana! Nice prompt idea & intriguing photo for today. Summer, 2019 is the mark to finish the book’s first draft…But, I’ll enjoy reading the posts. πŸ₯³πŸŽΆπŸŽ‰ Christine

• Thanks for the visit, Christine. I haven’t seen many posts from you, but I’m glad to hear that you’ve been busy! Summer 2019 sounds like it’s going to be a time for big Congrats. Wishing you easy sailing and plenty of creative wind to complete your book. ❀

• C.E.Robinson says:

Thanks so much, Diana! I’m not posting, only changed the Welcome Page header to my favorite Kezar Lake scene from childhood years & grandmother’s beachfront resort, Sunset Inn. A blurb included about that. Also the book’s first three pages is a permanent page on the header. I’m committed to finish the book, and to make comments on favorite blog posts (yours at the top of the list)! πŸ₯°πŸŽΆπŸ“š Christine

28. Happy New Year Diana! I admire that you and so many others want to share other people’s art. And I must admit a reticence. I love your writing and hope we will continue to see much of your lovely stories and writing here. Hugs and blessings.

29. ghostmmnc says:

Happy New Year, Diana!
    Just what I need…a reason to write something, and it always helps to have a photo to start with. I’ll be getting back to you on this as soon as I can. πŸ™‚

30. sargondorsai says:

Writing with a visual prompt is always a fun exercise for me. Life has been a bit unsteady for the last couple of years, but I’m hoping to get back into writing again. Maybe this will be a way to help get myself back into the groove!

• No pressure, Sargon, but I would love to share your response to the prompt. I’m hoping that once-a-month prompts will give writers and poets plenty of time for inspiration. I hope this jump starts your writing and wish you a wonderfully creative new year!

31. Kicking off the new year with a bang!! Well done Diana – have fun!

32. I wish you success with this, Diana

33. Great idea! Happy New Year, Diana!

34. balroop2013 says:

Happy New Year Diana. What an amazing beginning to the year! Cheers to the creative juices! πŸ™‚

35. Thank you very much, my dear friend πŸ™‚
    Also for you and your family a Happy New Year πŸ™‚
    All good wishes
    Didi

36. Happy New Year, Diana. Cool idea to do a monthly prompt.

• Thank you, Mary. I know that lots of bloggers do weekly prompts, but that scares me! I’m hoping this will be fun and just the right amount for writers and readers. πŸ™‚ I hope your holidays were beautiful and wish you much joy in 2019!

37. SD Gates says:

I just took a look at the picture you posted. It’s a very interesting one – considering all we ever seem to talk about these days is global warming and climate changes. This picture makes me think in a different direction, and perhaps we have got it all wrong!!

38. Anneberly says:

Happy New Year!!!! May this year bring you health, happiness, and the ability to conquer any goals you have set or will be setting. Excited to be joining in. πŸ˜‰

39. SD Gates says:

Happy New Year!!!

40. Jordy says:

Happy New Year!! πŸ€—. Love the idea, Diana! Cheers to 2019!!

41. Dawn D says:

Happy New Year Diana!
    It’s a great idea, and I’ll try to participate as time allows.
    This picture stirs emotions but I’m not sure which yet. The migraine trying to suck my eye out (I know, weird image, but somehow it’s what it feels like) is winning over my ability to articulate words.
    Tomorrow maybe? 😊
    XO

42. trentpmcd says:

Happy New Year, Diane. It sounds like a great idea! I will most likely come back to this photo in a few days and give it a try.

43. Nice photograph, Diana. My little wheels are turning…

44. A wonderful idea. I look forward to this. Happy New Year Diana.

45. This is a great idea, and so nice of you. Contests and writing prompts are a surprising amount of work! πŸ™‚

46. What a wonderful idea, Diane. Happy New Year to you, may it be all you want and need to nurture and grow and flourish.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )