An update… Life rolls onward

Mom in 2014

My brother Justin and I arrived in Colorado to whisper our goodbyes to our mom.

It turned out that she’d contracted E-coli, and while the illness raged through her intestines, it also caused kidney damage and cardiac complications. In her already weakened state, it was draining what was left of her strength.

I sat vigil in her hospital room, slept on a bench, aided the amazing nurses, and after 9 exhausting days in intensive care, my mom’s health began to improve.

In the meantime, two hours away, my dad contracted E-coli (I learned later that CNN reported the outbreak). Justin and I were on double duty, driving, caretaking, and cleaning! The old codger refused to go to the hospital, and he was strong enough that we decided not to drag him there by his ears. He remains at home and is recovering.

My mom is still terribly frail but has been moved to a rehabilitation center as a step toward going home. I remain hopeful and will be facilitating her transition home and then moving them both to senior housing near Justin and me as soon as space becomes available.

I’m home for a few days and then back to Colorado this weekend. Life has been topsy-turvy, the blog suffers from neglect, best-laid plans are in shambles, but I have no regrets for being part of my mom’s last weeks or years, whatever comes. Writing? What’s that? Haha!

Blogging will be sporadic during October as I travel back and forth, and I’ve been contemplating a few changes for the new year – all fun writerly stuff! I hope to visit everyone during this brief respite at home, but I don’t expect I’ll post frequently until things settle down. Thank you all for your kind wishes and concern. I have thought of you often over the last two weeks.

277 thoughts on “An update… Life rolls onward

1. Chelle G. says:

I hope that during this transition you can find comfort in the midst of it all. A scripture comes to mind, it says “Praised be […] the God of all comfort who comforts us in all our trials,” (2 Corinthians 1:3, 4). I hope that this can help you as much as it has for me. ♡

2. DiDi says:

My prayers go out to you and your family. ❤️

3. inesephoto says:

So sorry to hear you had to go through this terrible time, and delighted that your Mom is feeling better. Hope you get a place closer to home soon.

4. I hope that a few weeks on Diana things are much improved. It is so easy to feel helpless when parents are going through health issues but the abiding feeling that they have is huge relief to have you near. ♥

5. So terribly sorry to hear this, Diana… I haven’t been able to keep up with my blogging friends due to my own life events and professional pressures and I hope your news has been better since? My thoughts are with you, for what it’s worth xx

• Thanks, Tara. I got back from my most recent trip last Thursday and things seem stable with services in place and running well. 🙂 I look forward to a quiet winter! Fingers crossed and knock on wood. I haven’t written a word all summer and can’t wait to dive in. 😀

6. Ther is still lots of hope. Home health and natural remedies are so much better. Our prayers for your mom’s recovery and family love. ❤❤❤❤AOC

7. dweezer19 says:

Thoughts and prayers are sent for you all. Don’t forget to take care of you too. Best wishes for all you have to do.

8. cath says:

I’ve thought of you also. I’m so glad your Mum has fought this off, and your Dad too. You and your brother must be exhausted. Best wishes with the recuperation period. Family come first, without a doubt.

9. Val Boyko says:

Thinking of you Diana… and sending my love along with others to support you and your parents in this transition. May the love, appreciation and support outweigh the practical details and decisions at this stage. Sending a hug. 💕

10. Any community — even an online one — will understand when one of its own needs time and space to herself. No one who loves and supports you here on WordPress is going anywhere, Diana.

Aging and ailing parents are something so many in my demographic are dealing with right now, and there are no quick fixes or words of wisdom to offer, as I’m sure you know. All I can tell you, Diana, is I’m keeping a good thought for you…

• I just got back yesterday from my latest trip out there. They’re doing okay. I’ve done all I can to get them help, meals, and nursing services at home. Now we’re just hoping that something nearby opens up so they can move. They won’t go anywhere that won’t take all their cats! Ugh. I just have to laugh at this point. 🙂 Thanks for kind words, Sean. Life rolls onward.

11. Your parents sound like strong people, Diana. They have wonderful children to take care of them like that. The best to all of you in the coming days. I’ve been off and on with my email lately as both my caregiver and I picked up some nasty flu that’s going around. 🙂 — Suzanne

12. I’m so relieved Diana, and I’m sure you are too. I’m sure it will be good to have them healthy again. 🙂

13. Antonia says:

I’m happy to hear that she is on the road to recovery. It sounds like your dad is OK too. I am praying that they make a full recovery. I know you all must have been so scared. E-coli is scary thing.

14. smilecalm says:

wishing you and your loved ones
    gentle support, joy & relaxation 🙂

15. Silent Hour says:

My thoughts and love are with you, Diana.

16. KL Wagoner says:

I’m glad to hear your mom is doing better and that everything has worked out for your parents to live closer. You’ll never regret the time you spend with them.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )