Autumn

pixabay image

In celebration of Colleen’s 100th poetry challenge! A haibun/tanka.

Autumn

I love autumn, even though it’s a season of dying. There’s no ignoring the withering of vines and weeds,Β the fading light and deepening chill. Leaves cease gobbling up sunlight and chlorophyll breaks down. The green ripeness withdraws, revealing shades of canary yellow, pumpkin, and fire-engine red… before crisping to brown. How softly life let’s go. With a breath of wind, it drifts and returns to the earth. Nature is wise, isn’t she… to make this time of dying so beautiful? There are lessons in each of her rolling seasons.Β The graceful fall of Fall mirrors my experience working in hospice. If we are lucky we will spend our autumns like the leaves, in beauty and glory, bright and brisk of spirit, joyous and beloved… and let go with a whisper to dance on the wind.

I glide with the wind
in autumn’s celebration
gold and vermillion
a confetti of crimson
dying in graceful beauty

85 thoughts on “Autumn

1. Just lovely, Diana. I miss the Fall season. I found a set of background autumn scenes for my computer. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

2. Autumn is probably my favourite season too! I love the colors and how the weather is just right ❀ Lovely haiku, Diana πŸ™‚

3. Solitaire says:

You summed it beautifully!🌾

4. A captivating picture and, what a dance with words you’ve shared! Even the rain and clouds can rejoice at this. Your words vibrates a path of love for successive seasons.❀❀❀❀❀

5. So. Love. This. Autumn is my favorite season, for the colors, the gentle cool, the scents of fall. Beautiful words, Diana. Well done!

6. memadtwo says:

Lessons indeed. (K)

Beautiful words, Diana. I’m a fan of autumn – cooler weather, pumpkin-flavored goodies, and Halloween!

8. This is really beautiful, Diana. Autumn is my favorite season, and you described it so well that I can’t wait until it gets here!

Absolutely beautiful. One of your best, Diana.

10. Vashti Q says:

What a gorgeous Haibun, Diana! You make it seem so easy to come up with the perfect words, rhythm and flow. What a beautiful and soothing view of death. ❀ xx

11. What a beautiful poem!! Autumn is my favourite season!! The crunch of leaves, the crisp air… The release of oloroso sherry…. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ πŸ’–

12. Diana, this is so tranquil and soothing. Such a beautiful piece of art. Keeping you and your mom in my thoughts and prayers. Sending blessings and hugs across the miles. XO

13. Gorgeous post, Diana. I know fall is the season of dying, but I like to think of it as a season of acceptance to change and even personal transformation.
    Now I’m going to check on that challenge…

14. rijanjks says:

Exquisite, Diana! I love fall too, even though things start to go dormant or die. It’s a time of reflection for me.

15. I know what you mean about ‘season of dying’ but I choose to see it as a time for rest. All those reasons you mentioned–trees losing leaves, colder–the earth gets to rest and rejuvenate. It is why I don’t mind wildfires. They let nature clean things out.

16. A beautiful and poignant tribute to autumn and her glorious colours. Sending prayers to you and your family this week. 🌼

17. I hear heartfelt emotion coming through. This is beautiful, Diana.

18. Dan Antion says:

This is a nice way to celebrate my favorite season!

19. cath says:

Beautifully captured. I like the combination of scientific observation and emotive responses. Your Haibun seems to have struck a chord with a lot of us.

20. Yes, nature understands the beauty of letting go, and you have portrayed it with elegance, my friend – both in your narrative and your poem. I do think of autumn as a season that teaches us to embrace death as part of the life cycle. Does that mean I don’t dread what comes after this lovely time of year? Of course not! But your reminder of how β€˜softly life lets go’ is reassuring. πŸ‚

21. “dying in graceful beauty” – what a lovely evocative line, Diana. Looking through my study window and seeing just that.x

22. Beautifully expressed. The whisper and dancing on the wind is a wonderful thought

Wow, beautifully evoked Diana. It’s funny how autumn is the death or hibernation time for plant life, yet gives us beautiful visuals. πŸ™‚ ❀

24. The poem is beautiful, Diana. I’ve never thought of autumn as a season of dying before. But of course it is.
    Yet it’s a season of magic when the veil between worlds thins. πŸ™‚ Hugs.

• Wonderful comment, Teagan. It is magical, but the whole planet is full of magic and wisdom. I think Nature is sentient to be honest. And since the seasons are cyclical, it seems that perhaps we are simply part of a circle of transformation that never ends. Thanks for the visit and Happy Writing!

25. Allie P. says:

It’s my favorite season as well. I love the crisp air and the smells… oh, the smells of autumn… yes, spring may have its flowery perfumes, but I’d pick that hint of wood and spice any day.

26. Beautiful, Diana! ❀ xo

• Thanks so much, Bette. I’m glad you enjoyed the poem combo. These challenges are great fun. (And I planted my milkweed seed in celebration of the season). Hope your season change is wonderful and winter holds off a while. πŸ™‚

• Thanks for the happy notes, Diana! πŸ™‚ Thrilled to hear your milkweed news… Our second chrysalis gave us a beautiful Monarch butterfly yesterday and it was pure delight to watch her get ready for her long flight to Mexico. πŸ™‚ Leaves are already beginning to change here and the air is crisp enough to warrant a fire in the wood stove soon as the great transformation begins… Blessings and love! xoxo

27. Hello Diana! Your talent with words and images hits the spot perfectly. This beautiful tanka reflects so perfectly my own musings regarding your current season, though of course I could not put such a thing into words as you do. I have just celebrated an almost significant birthday and as I glide into my own personal autumn I should love to think the final line applies. (Though I shall have to be less of a klutz to be successful πŸ™‚ )

• You’re so funny, Pauline. Happy Belated Birthday! I have a significant birthday coming up in January. It is my hope to glide (or hobble gracefully) through my autumn. You’re headed into spring! Enjoy and Happy Creating. ❀

28. This was lovely. I grew up disliking autumn because I knew it meant winter was coming. But that was when I lived in Ohio and I hated the cold. Moving south plus pumpkin everything this time of year also helps. πŸ™‚

29. Beautiful, wise, and evocative Diana. I hope to live and age with such beauty and grace as you reflected.

• Thanks so much for the visit and comment, Brad. Me too! Life doesn’t come with guarantees, but I think it helps to be present and reflect on the beauty of all the seasons of nature and of our journeys. Have a fantastic week. πŸ™‚

Beautiful, Diana. πŸ™‚

31. And the stunning Autumn colours… shone through your poem, lovely, Diana.

32. Beautiful beyond words, “how softly life lets go”…gorgeous ❀

33. C.E.Robinson says:

Lovely thoughts, Diana. The season Fall as in life. Did not know you worked in hospice. Your words are tealistically telling. Have a beautiful Sunday. πŸ“š Christine

34. Jordan says:

Diana, incredibly moving poem, such deep meaning amd beauty!! I live the context that you shared, and especially, β€œconfetti of crimson, dying in graceful beauty.”

Jordan πŸ™

• Thank you, Jordan. I’m so glad you found this poem moving. And glad that you have beautiful autumns. My head goes to this place naturally at this time of year and I find it incredibly peaceful. I hope you enjoy the changing seasons. ❀

35. You always speak to my soul, Diana and this is Haibun is filled with so much wisdom. I love how you compare nature’s autumn with the fall of our life’s journey… very poignant. ❀

• Thanks for the challenge, Colleen. How could I resist! I think about this at this time of year. It’s as if Mother Nature is telling us that everything is okay and beautiful, even endings. I just love that! Thanks so much for the lovely comment. Happy Writing, my friend. ❀

36. trentpmcd says:

Very nicely done. Autumn is my favorite season, a time of dying or not.

37. Beautiful choice of words you have strung together in just the right sequence.

38. SD Gates says:

I love the color – vermillion. I wish we were able to experience the fall colors here – just not very much of it.

• A good reason to travel once in a while in October! There are fewer orange and vermillion where I live now on the west coast, but we do get reds and yellows. Enjoy the coming season regardless. Wherever you are, it will be full of messages for life. πŸ™‚ Thanks for the visit!

• SD Gates says:

I am in the Central Valley of California – so not a lot of deciduous trees, and certainly not the brilliant colors of the East Coast, but I am ok with that because at least I don’t get depressed in the Fall, as the sun makes its transition to that weird slant, and you know the snows of winter are not far behind (that’s what used to happen to me in the Fall when I lived in the Midwest).

39. Yes, beautiful and wise the link between mindful dying and nature. Hospice is Good work and this is good hospice work.

• Thanks D. I’m glad you liked this. That link is always in the back of my mind while I enjoy the autumn color. I can’t help but think that nature offers endless lessons on life and can answer most of our questions if we pay attention. Have a lovely Sunday. πŸ™‚

40. This is a really beautiful haibun, Diana. I also like the colours of autumn.

41. Joanne Sisco says:

“Dying in graceful beauty” … that we could all aspire to demonstrate that when our time comes. Beautifully expressed Diana. You’re right, nature is very wise πŸ’•

• I’ve seen it happen many times and wish it for all of us when our time comes, Joanne. This season is one of my favorite four (lol) but it does make me think of the biology behind it. Have a wonderful adventurous week, my friend. πŸ™‚

42. balroop2013 says:

Autumn is peeping
    Through the sidewalks, it smiles
    Evoking eloquence.
    Many thanks dear friend for stirring my thoughts this morning and transporting me to the land of transient beauty, so well depicted by the image you have chosen of Fall. My love for Fall is young and therefore very passionate. πŸ™‚

• Thanks for the beautiful comment, Balroop. Even your comments are poetic! I love autumn too, but can’t help contemplating the meaning behind all the color and how extraordinary Nature handles the season. πŸ™‚ Have a great drift into autumn, my friend. ❀

43. “a confetti of crimson
    dying in graceful beauty”
    Beautiful and elegant poem! A pleasure to read!

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )