Hunting Waterfalls and a photo challenge

Toketee Falls

I’m back from my technology-free vacation. I didn’t take my computer with me, didn’t watch a minute of television, and I read a real honest-to-goodness paper book. It was heaven.

Sarah, over at Art Expedition, offered up a 7-day B&W street photo challenge of people. Well… erm… here are my 7 color, non-people, no streets, nature photos of my trip. Sorry, Sarah, for not following the rules very well at all. I encourage everyone to browse her lovely artful blog and give her challenge a hearty try.

I’ve lived in Oregon for 7 years and haven’t explored this big state. It was about time. Randy and I traveled downstate into the dense smoke of forest fires, detoured to the Pacific coast and headed north in the fog. So much for “seeing” the state. But I gathered a few photo-memories nevertheless.

We hiked along silver rivers…

…found waterfalls…

We traveled on to Crater Lake.Β Looking down from the crater’s rim, you can see the thick blanket of smoke. Yes, that dark layer in the background isn’t land – it’s solid smoke.

The view of the lake was hazy with light smoke.

With scratchy throats and eyes, we headed for the coast. The Oregon shore is cold, windy and foggy.

And a B&W picture of a person… still no street.
I’m doing the princess wave by the waves.

I have a ton of catching up to do, but I shall visit you all shortly. ❀

199 thoughts on “Hunting Waterfalls and a photo challenge

1. amzaing picks i love these picks

2. This one elegant dreamy challenge. Actually it relaxes the imagination. (-:

• Good morning! Thanks so much for the visit and comment. It was only a month ago and yet it seems like last year already. πŸ™‚ We are surrounded by waterfalls here and I’ve just started exploring. I’m glad you enjoyed!

3. When I was up in Ithaca, New York, a few weeks ago on a research trip, I made a point to visit some of the spectacular waterfalls up there. None of our modern technology is as hypnotically captivating as one of those beauties! Great photos, Diana — thanks for sharing!

• Thanks for taking a peek! I agree completely with your description of how mesmerizing they are. I climbed to the top of the Tumalo Falls, and it was amazing how little water it took to make that huge white frothy wall. I’m on a quest to collect waterfalls now. πŸ˜€

4. Hey Diana, It is me hunting you. haha! I was gone for long time, and sorry, I am now back at blogging. I just love this post, I adore the pictures, it freshens up the mind. I hope your summer was great!

• Hi Juli. I’ve been thinking about you. I hope your break from blogging was to enjoy the last of summer. Thanks for the visit and checking out my vacation photos. There are waterfalls all around me and I finally got out to see a few. πŸ™‚ I’ll be over soon. ❀

• Hey Diana, I could imagine it was nice to get out and visit the waterfall after the hot weather, you needed to closer something like waterfall, so cool and fresh. I am glad you got out and visited some places. I have been thinking about you too.

5. Lo'key Groggy says:

Beautiful shots!

6. mimionlife says:

Amazing photographs. Thank you for sharing with us.

Glad you’re back! Sounds like a heavenly technology free vacation, and the pics are gorgeous.

• Other than the smoke, it was amazing, Teri, and we did manage to get (mostly) above the smoke now and then. I love being offline and hope to get in the habit – more frequent but shorter breaks. πŸ™‚ Thanks for taking a peek at the photos!

8. Marvelous photos, Diana. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

9. inesephoto says:

Beautiful pictures of the waterfall, and I also love the striking blue of the sky.

10. Antonia says:

Beautiful pictures, Diana! I love the waterfall! Oregon is such a beautiful state, I’m glad you have taken some time to enjoy it. I haven’t been in a long time, but really loved it.

11. rijanjks says:

Wow! Those are some amazing photos, Diana. Kudos to you for being able to disconnect from all electronics on your vacation. It is something we should all do at least once a year.

• I have to disconnect once a quarter, Jan, but usually not for this long. It was a fun trip despite the smoke (which is getting a bit old about now). I’m glad you enjoyed the photos, too. My camera is ancient, but it’s still holding up. πŸ™‚

Welcome back, Diana. Your photos are gorgeous, even with smoke around Crater Lake (one of my favorite spots). Reading a paper book instead of reading on a screen is heavenly. πŸ™‚

13. Oh my, I love the pictures.

14. Joanne Sisco says:

We are keeping track of the fires on the west coast and it’s very disturbing. It doesn’t seem like there is any end in sight. Meanwhile, we are experiencing multiple layers of sogginess here and I wish I could share some of it!!

Love your photos – especially the waterfall! I feel in love with Oregon when I saw the movie Sometimes A Great Notion back in the 70s. Someday I hope I will see it in person!

• You would love the landscape, Joanne, but must come sometime when it’s not raining or burning. We get 8 months of rain, then it stops during the summer and everything dries up and turns crisp. Weird weather. I haven’t seen that movie – thanks for the recommendation!

15. Liv Miles says:

A technology free vacation? That sounds splendid! I hope mother earth left your spirit feeling refreshed πŸ™‚

16. In the words of Liz Lemon: “I want to go to there.”

17. Jina Bazzar says:

Sounds like you had a lovely vacation, Diana. I’m sad for the smoke though. Is that from the California fire or a different one? and waterfalls. we had so many in Brazil but i always found them beautiful.

18. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Great to have you back, Diana. Your technology-free vacation sounds ideal, and the lovely images bear witness. πŸ™‚

• Thanks for stopping by, Khaya. It was wonderful being technology-free for two whole weeks! And I’m finally catching up a bit on the blog. I’m so glad you enjoyed the photos. πŸ™‚ Have a lovely week, my friend. ❀

19. What a wonderful break, Diana. I know such a trip would seem to truly replenish a person inside and out. I love your photos, I’m sure lovely Sarah will forgive you πŸ˜€

20. Vashti Q says:

Beautiful pictures, Diana! I need a vacation like that––completely unplugged. Sounds like heaven. Welcome back! πŸ˜€ xx

21. The last photo is my favorite! 😊

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )