#Tanka Tuesday Challenge: Inspiration and Plan

pixabay image

When I was eleven years old, I somehow got the idea that my family (and my best friend) should homestead on one of the uninhabited Aleutian Islands off the coast of Alaska.

Committed to my inspiration, I perched behind my dad’s old typewriter and with one finger, tapped out a list of everything we would need from 7 chisels and 50 hinges to 100 lbs of tuna fish and 30 sheep. Yes… sheep.

The four-page list is pretty funny. Apparently, I thought 15 rolls of toilet paper were sufficient for this adventure but wanted 200 bars of soap!

A few other items from the list (with conversions):
2 big bells
6000 packs of seeds
20 hair brushes
4 dog sleds
2 dogs
52 lbs of instant chocolate  (23 kg)
400 lbs of chicken noodle soup (181 kg)
1000 lbs of tea (453 kg!)
140 books

The plan never got off the ground, but I saved the list all these years. You never know…

Colleen’s #Tanka Tuesday challenge was to create a poem using synonyms of inspiration and plan.

~*~

Childhood’s fantasies
rewrote a commonplace life
plotting a passage
my sails filled with misspellings
my dreams charting windswept isles

151 thoughts on “#Tanka Tuesday Challenge: Inspiration and Plan

1. a_bit_aberrant says:

Typed inspiration and found this! Now I am inspired to settle in Amazon rainforest with apes and anacondas. C’mon, I can survive with 500 lbs of cheese and 800 lbs of coffee.

• Ha ha ha. Well, I’m glad you enjoyed the glimpse into my 11-year-old mindset. Your trip to the Amazon sounds great – cheese and coffee. What else could you possibly need. 🙂 Have a great weekend.

2. kentucky55 says:

Your very brave and awesome !

• Thanks for the visit. I’m glad you enjoyed my childhood fantasy and the silly list. Sorry about the late reply. I was technology-free for two weeks. Back now and catching up. 🙂 Have a great weekend and I’ll be over soon.

3. Bel says:

I think it would be awesome to live in an uninhabited island or forest and bring everything on your list. I have to say yours is way smarter than mine. You really had a plan.

When I was 9 years old, I wanted to go on an adventure and guess what I took? A dozen Hershey’s Kisses and my bicycle. I didn’t even think of taking water. A few blocks away from my house I realized I wouldn’t survive and just went back home…😅

I miss being a kid – 😊

4. wittysally says:

LOL..Very nice piece, D. I enjoyed it

5. This is just… 😂 I love this. The idea, the list… Oh, that list! Bloody brilliant. Of course, the tanka is beautiful. Well done, my friend. 💖

• Thanks, Sarah. I was a weird kid, as you can probably tell. Lol. In some ways the list was amazingly complete down to the most minute details, and it other ways it made no sense at all! I’m glad you enjoyed it. Happy Writing, my friend. ❤

6. Neha Sharma says:

This list sounds precious! Absolutely loved this post 😀

7. Great aricle sir! https://buildurownway.wordpress.com check out mine please 🙂

8. Lovely post, the list was brilliant! I may have to dig around for some hidden treasures like these.

• Thanks so much for reading. Stuff from our childhoods are often so cute or funny. I’ve posted old angsty teen poems and other silly stuff. If you have a box of old writing, do go through it. You might have a lot of fun. 🙂

9. umar rabiu says:

Hello sir, i would like us to have a little conversation

10. mylilplace says:

Instant chocolate is always a must! What a sweet story and a lovely tanka. 🙂

11. memadtwo says:

Those seeds were definitely planted…(K)

12. Diana, maybe the eleven-year-old you thought you might need extra soap for when the TP ran out? 🤔 Great job on your Tanka this week. How fitting to post your list with it.

• I have no idea what my eleven year old self was thinking! Clearly I wasn’t very observant about tp usage. Ha ha. Thanks for reading about my adventurous dream as a kid. It’s a good thing we never followed through! 😀

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )