Milkweed: #Tanka Tuesday Poetry Challenge

pixabay image

Once again, I’m giving Colleen’s #Tanka Tuesday #Poetry Challenge a try (honestly, it’s addictive). This time with a haibun/tanka. The prompts were (synonyms for) green and magic. I didn’t know if they were supposed to be in the haibun or the tanka, so I put them in both.

Milkweed

I spiral in a wisp of breeze, an airy fluff of seed unnoticed by the whorl of pollen shimmering in fat sunbeams. The fecund world undulates and exhales. Ribbons of heat flutter in the willow’s leaves and seduce the crickets into a sultry chant. Chaos dances with the bees, bearing me on my journey, I know not where. This masterpiece is woven of random notes and steps, yet, I perceive a conjuring of harmony, a sublime pattern of unfurling precision. I am meant to twirl in languid beauty to the earth.

Bountiful mother
Breathe a summer’s requiem
Spin me in the wind
As beguiled I pirouette
And await my spring’s rebirth

113 thoughts on “Milkweed: #Tanka Tuesday Poetry Challenge

1. Both are lovely, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

2. mylilplace says:

Ah…the bliss of reading your work. Thank you!

3. Bel says:

“Chaos dances with the bees, bearing me on my journey, I know not where…” – You really have a way with words. ❤️

4. This is terrific, Diana. I also wrote my first haibun a short while ago. They are really fun.

5. Sorry I’m so late with this… Beautiful poems both, Diana! Love how you captured the flights of those fluffy seeds. Have a wonderful week!

• It’s okay, Julie. Actually, I don’t keep a weekly list of who visits and who doesn’t. Lol. I honor your busy-ness and creativity, and the need for each of us to manage our time and take care of ourselves. It’s all good. ❤ And I'm glad you enjoyed the poem!

6. Wow, that’s amazing, a balletic dance of words. Love it. 🙂

7. memadtwo says:

Like an earth prayer. (K)

8. Christy B says:

“Chaos dances with the bees” ~ Wonderful!

9. Such a beautiful creation, Diana. I love the airy, beautiful lines. Milkweed is one of my favorites; it is so important to the Monarch butterflies. I also adore summer, so it is quite the perfect blending for me. Gorgeous poetry! xx

• Thank you, Lana. I do like playing with words and syllables and the prompts are fun. I love milkweed too and remember pulling those silken seeds from their pods as a kid. And the Monarchs are a plus. Happy Writing, my friend. 🙂

10. Mae Clair says:

I’m late due to a few days vacation surrounding the holiday, but both of those are stunning. You weave words like threads on a loom, creating magic.

11. Diana, you never fail to amaze. This, the narrative and the poem — the whole thing is purely breathtaking. Hugs on the wing!

12. Beautiful poetry! Very nicely done on both counts!

13. terpsichorean says:

This is incredible. “Breathe a summer’s requiem” is a line that’s going to be a favorite for a long time. I thought this poem was amazing, and all of the different words you found for magic was super inspiring to me. I can actually see this, and I think that’s superb in poetry, the way you use language as a paintbrush, here. Thank you for this.

• Thanks so much for the lovely comment. You are way too kind to me, but I’m glad you enjoyed the poem. I’ve just started playing with these forms and the prompts give me just enough structure to work with. Have a wonderfully creative week. ❤

• Hi. I tried to visit you, but your link sends me to a deleted site. You might update your link so that people can return your visits. ❤

14. Vashti Q says:

Hello Diana! What a beautiful haibun and tanka! I was transported. 🙂

15. rijanjks says:

Poetry at its finest, Diana! I love it.

16. As always, your prose transports me to different worlds…I love these words of spring and summer, they’re gorgeous!

Stunning Diana. You’re a natural at this! ❤

18. Lovely pieces–and I absolutely adore the prompt. No wonder it inspired you.

The pirouette was my favorite moment.

I had a thought on where you might go with further attempts, as a faithful beta friend. This might well be a place to let your preference for unusual verbs run wild. Could be a real asset in this form.

And now, having emerged briefly from my editing cave, I return to work on your story. 🙂

• Ha ha ha. Verbs run wild! Lol. Yes, I was thinking of you as I was editing this poem. Ha! And I’m busily applying all your suggestions, even editing out some lovely verbs. A couple rewrites to do and then the first half is done. 🙂

19. This is beautiful!! I adore milkweed (I know, weird) so this we prefect. Mine just flowered and I had my first monarch butterfly at it the other day! 🦋💖💖

20. Hi Diana, you surely make the monarch butterfly food magical. I can see that you had lots of fun doing this challenge and prompt. I have fun reading it. ❤

21. So beautiful. I love your wordcraft.

22. These are such graceful lines, Diana:
    ‘Bountiful mother
    Breathe a summer’s requiem
    Spin me in the wind
    As beguiled I pirouette
    And await my spring’s rebirth’

Beautiful writing, Diana. Wow, quite the challenge, but you met it wonderfully!

24. I am sticking my toe into the online waters, and where better to do so than this post of yours, Diana. So sensuous and beautiful!

• Thank you so much for the visit, Molly. This is a short one, which is probably good. I’m tickled that you liked it. :- )How are you? I hope you’re feeling a bit better. Another blogger friend, Pam, got a concussion within days of you, and her recovery is taking some time too. Don’t over do it. Now that I’ve finished mothering you (lol) … have a wonderful weekend. ❤

25. Both versions are delightful Diana. Definitely a sense of magic, play and movement.

26. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    I will leave you with wonderful examples of a haibun and a tanka from Diana Wallace Peach in response to this week’s challenge by Colleen Chesebro…you will never look at milkweed in quite the same way again…..

27. Silent Hour says:

Great job! Your magic is in everything you do!

Beautiful and full of your magic – as a gifted wordsmith you’re a natural with poetry!

• Thanks for the lovely comment, Annika. I’ve been having fun with Colleen’s poetry challenges. They’re a nice light break after all the last minute editing and rushing around to get the books out. Have a lovely weekend, my friend. ❤

Wow! I am impressed, Diana.

30. Excellent! This is beautiful, Diana. Happy Weekend! xo

31. I see your next book! A collection of #Tanka. You do this so well, my friend. Happy Writing and Weekend.

32. Ah, just magical! Wonderful, Diana. 🙂

33. Jay says:

Wow, you did a lot with that, well done!

34. I can see this in mind. When your Haibun is read out loud, it is even more beautiful! ❤

35. I can see how this could be addictive. Consequently, I’m afraid to start. Same thing I said about coffee… [sip… ahhh…]

36. Lovely – beautiful imagery.

37. Carrie Rubin says:

This is lovely. I love the word “fecund.” It brings so much imagery to mind.

38. You’ve captured the magic of milkweed!

39. balroop2013 says:

A fantastic approach to the challenge! That plant is indeed magical and your poetry matches it so well Diana. Have a wonderful weekend.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w