Conflagration #Writephoto

Photo by Sue Vincent

Conflagration

Carnelian skies burnish the dying day just so

On the cusp of our years we awaken

Narrowed to a sliver of brilliant flame

Faithful to the fires sparked in a child’s dream

Longing for dismissed choices, second chances

A conflagration of wishes whirling, urgent

Grieve no more, my heart

Retrace your rubbled path and behold

A sacred branding of the soul

Trust that love mattered

In the final hours as

Our whispered farewells

Nudge us into ash

Thanks to Sue Vincent for the beautiful Thursday #Writephoto prompt.

117 thoughts on “Conflagration #Writephoto

1. From your opening lnes you captured us with your description. So well done. A pleasure from start to finish,.

2. So love this one, Diana! Especially the lines “Faithful to the fires sparked in a child’s dream; Longing for dismissed choices, second chances” Brings to mind my writing, and my dreams. And beautiful picture as well! Well done!

• Thanks, Julie. I think perhaps all of us carry around a few regrets and what if’s. The thing I love about writing is that we are still making that dream come true with no end in sight. Have a wonderful Sunday and week ahead. ❤

3. This is truly a beautiful and challenging poem to write. The 2nd line truly spoke to me, “On the cusp of our years we awaken,” as we transition into that next stage. Very nice, Diana.

• Thanks, Lana. I’m thrilled that a poet of your caliber liked it. Yay! I haven’t written an acrostic since grade school and it’s a lot harder as an adult! Those first letters were tough! Happy Writing, my friend.

4. Beautifully rich poem, Diana. Thanks for sharing it with us!

5. Jay says:

Applause, well done!

6. This is gorgeous, Diana! Well done, you. I’ve been thinking of posting some poetry on my blog, too, but that post hasn’t left the station of good intentions yet. 🙂

• You should give it a go, Cathleen, though I can relate to the trepidation! I struggle with these and they never feel done when I finally hit publish. I like that they break up the usual fare over here, so when the muse strikes… 🙂 Thanks for the visit and the lovely comment!

7. Caridwen says:

I love it, it is you.

8. Tina Frisco says:

Diana, I just read Billy Ray’s poem, “I’m Alone,” and after reading yours, I’m beginning to wonder if the universe isn’t sending me a message. Like Billy Ray’s, your poem is beautifully crafted and shoots straight to the heart. I think my dreams will be brilliant tonight. Thank you for sharing, my lovely friend ❤️

• I too noticed a lot of “meaning of life” contemplation on blogs this week, Tina. Some have been a result of this photo prompt, but some, like Billy Ray’s seemed to just be in the air. Funny how that happens. I think its good for humans to occasionally contemplate our journeys and consider what truly matters. ❤ Sweet dreams. ❤

9. “Trust that love mattered…” Diana, those last four lines are perfect!

10. rijanjks says:

Exquisitely expressed! Wow!! Love it.

11. OMG… Diana, this is so beautiful and heartfelt, one has to stop and think about the skill involved. You make it seem easy — the true mark of a gift.
    Hugs.

12. Dewin Nefol says:

Namaste Diana 🙂

Hoping all is well. Superb poem, greatly enjoyed. Thank you.

Conflagration is one of my favourite words. You’ve done it proud 🙂

Namaste 🙂

DN

• Thank you, Dewin. It’s a word I don’t often use, though I agree that it’s a powerful one. I’m glad you enjoyed the poem. ❤ Have a wonderful day.

• Dewin Nefol says:

Very much enjoyed 🙂 A burning heart worn on the sleeve: a celebration of love, life, hopes and dreams. Perhaps also a reminder not to have regrets.

Thank you, my day has been reasonable but uneventful. I trust your day was far more successful.

Have a pleasant evening. Take care,

Namaste 🙂

13. I daresay that could be Hawaii, from a specific angle. The fires, the smoke billowing, yet light peaking through. And your words are the perfect complement.

14. Beautiful poetry to accompany a lovely picture, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

15. Ocean Bream says:

Ouch, how beautiful. I had to look up ‘carnelian’ in the dictionary to truly savour your first line. How you manage to combine such pain and such hope in a few short, well-calculated lines is simply extraordinary.

• Thank you for the lovely comment, Lenora. You’re passing the smile right back to me. Carnelian is common to the area where I live. It’s a lovely alternative to “orange.” Ha ha. Happy writing, my friend. ❤

16. A lovely take on the prompt, Diana. I really like the ending.

17. Love it, Diana! Beautifully expressed. 🙂

Wow, this was so powerful Diana, especially the last 3 lines! Brava. 🙂 ❤

19. mylilplace says:

This is so well done! It simply takes my breath away.

Beautifully done, Diana. Wonderful work. 🙂

21. balroop2013 says:

Wow! Diana, you are an amazing poet! Writing an acrostic with an idea and introducing so many emotions along with it is a challenging job! The flow of this poem is so spontaneous that I noticed after reading that each line is so carefully controlled and actually is based on a letter! G.R.E.A.T.!

• Thank you so much, Balroop. Such praise from a poet of your caliber is a thrill. I spent hours on this, since poetry doesn’t feel entirely natural to me. And it was hard to make those darn letters work! I’m glad they weren’t too obvious. Have a wonderfully creative day, my friend. 🙂

• balroop2013 says:

Thank you Diana, your words are like music to my ears. Some times a poem gets written within minutes but there are times when even a full day is not enough…such is this genre! Wishing many more such poems from your pen!

22. hsampson says:

Wow beautiful image and words! You are great Diana! Thank you!

23. Solitaire says:

Ah quite a feat… Sue does a great job in prompts!

24. Bernadette says:

WOW! You somehow combined beauty and aching sadness in one very moving piece.

• Thanks so much for the wonderful compliment, Bernadette. I labor over these until the moment I hit “publish.” I’m so glad you enjoyed it and felt the poignancy of the piece – exactly what I was going for. Have a beautiful week, my friend. ❤

25. Jina Bazzar says:

‘longing for dismissed choices, second chances’ – struck a nerve here, Diana.

• I think we all feel that at times, to different degrees, Jina. I know I do. Part of life, I guess. We just need to focus on the good stuff along the way and forgive ourselves and others for the rest. Thanks so much for the visit, my friend ❤

26. This is a fantastic poem/acrostic, Diana. What emotion it evoked as I read it. Similar to the feeling I get when I listen to a particularly beautiful piece of music. I think my favorite line was, “Grieve no more, my heart.” ❤️

27. Well done, Diana…

28. Well, you may have laboured long and hard over this, but t was time well spent! Every line holds a little gem to be savoured and mused over! And every life surely has had at least one good conflagration in it!

• Thanks, Pauline. I did labor over this. I’m not used to having that first letter fixed! I’m glad you enjoyed it. And yes, I think we all have some conflagrations, the wonderful and horrible, and that’s okay. It’s the love that matters. ❤

29. Beautiful poem, Diana. A very inspiring prompt!

30. C.E.Robinson says:

Diana, you have a talent for writing these, very poetic thoughts. Enjoyed visualizing conflagration. Have a happy week. 📚 Christine

31. Cheryl Sonnier says:

Lovely poem, Diana. 🙂

32. Beautiful. You have such a way with words. 🌼

33. Carrie Rubin says:

“Longing for dismissed choices, second chances”—Ah, yes. One of life’s frustrations, for sure.

34. Mae Clair says:

LeSigh!
    Beautiful, haunting, and tender.
    Fabulous, Diana!

35. Sarah says:

Absolutely beautiful, Diana! ❤

36. Sue Vincent says:

Love matters, in all its flaws and beauty…
    Wonderful poem, Diana.

37. Effective expression of a complex emotion. Beautiful and sad. Well done.

38. Wow. Simply wow. 🙂

39. This is absolutely beautiful! What fantastic word choice, a wistful and sad poem for sure. 💖

40. Y.E.S. This is note/poem/plea/promise I would write to myself also. Love matters/mattered – a sacred branding of the souls we touch. Absolute perfection, this acrostic, Diana.

• Thanks so much, Pam. I remembered you doing one of these on your site and thought I’d give it a try… Harder than it looks, my friend! And thanks for the lovely comment – love matters despite all our stumbles and failures; it always does. ❤

41. Sad and beautiful.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w