The Christmas season has shifted into high gear, and I’m so pleased to reblog The Snow Globe, a short story from my archives that Sally Cronin was kind enough to share. I hope you enjoy it.

Smorgasbord - Variety is the spice of life

A fabulous story by D.Wallace Peach to bring some romance and mystical magic to Christmas. I know you will love it.

The Snow Globe by D. Wallace Peach

Pixabay image composition.

The Snow Globe

Delores perches at the scuffed counter of Dee’s Diner on Christmas Eve, keeping one bespectacled eye on Angie as the waitress mops the linoleum floor. The sign on the front door has already flipped from “Open” to “Closed,” and the crimson Panhandle sky fades to a duller shade of rose, a single bright star glimmering on the eastern horizon.

“Thanks for closing early, Dee,” the teenager says.

“No problem, honey. I got plans too.”

Angie looks up and smiles, clearly skeptical, but too kind-hearted to ask. It’s no secret Delores lives alone, unmarried, and childless—except for Buster the cat, who’s not particularly festive when it comes to the holidays.

At closing time, sole proprietor, boss lady, and…

View original post 1,768 more words

53 thoughts on “Smorgasbord Christmas Posts from Your Archives – The Snow Globe by D. Wallace Peach

1. Steph McCoy says:

Sweet story Diana. Though bittersweet it gave me the warm fuzzies. I hope you had a Merry Christmas.

2. such a beautifully sad story – love your blog!

3. inesephoto says:

What a beautiful story, Diana. Snow globes always make me sad, for no reason. Peace and love to those who are missing their loved ones at Christmas ❤

4. Beautiful story, Diana! So descriptive, and I could feel Delores’ yearning for those past days. Merry Christmas, my friend!

5. paulandruss says:

A thoroughly lovely story

6. […] via Smorgasbord Christmas Posts from Your Archives – The Snow Globe by D. Wallace Peach […]

Beautiful story, Diana. Have a warm and happy Christmas. 🙂

8. What a lovely little story!!! The best Christmas stories, starting with A Christmas Carol, have a touch of the supernatural about them; this one joins some very fine company, Diana.

I enjoyed “The Snow Globe” for a more personal reason, too: I loved working at the local retail shops — the deli and the video store, etc. — on Christmas Eve when I was a kid, because it was the best time to interact with friends and neighbors: No one was angry; no one was stressed; no one had anything but nice things to say. I wish I had a counter to sit behind every Christmas Eve to feel that small act of magic again…

• Thanks so much, Sean. So true about Christmas stories, but then it’s a holiday imbued with magic to begin with. I like the bittersweet nature of this story (no quaint snowy Christmas with happily ever afters, right?). And I really like Delores. Perhaps it’s that feeling you describe of ordinary kindness, or the extraordinary in the ordinary. Merry Christmas ❤

9. shutterbug says:

What a lovely story! Just what I needed to put a smile on my face before I head home from work tonight. Thanks!

10. Absolutely love this, Diana. (I’ve read it before…here or at Sally’s?) I can’t keep all this straight this time of year. Anyway, it’s a beautiful story. ❤ Love it.

Well you’ve managed to catch me again with the same story LOL. I’m reading and reading and wondering, “Did I already read this?” And then the teary eyes, yup, once I hopped over to Sal’s to continue. LOL. Beautiful story Diana. ❤

• Aww. I know that when we blog in certain circles the same stories tend to go around. I’ve had the same deja vu at times, especially when visiting the Smorgasbord! Merry Christmas, Debby. I hope you’re taking a little time to relax and enjoy. ❤

12. What a beautiful story, Diana. What a blessing Sally is to many. Merry Christmas!

13. arlene says:

Thanks for sharing this Diana. I enjoyed reading it.

14. I definitely don’t read enough Christmas stories. Thank you.

15. A really beautiful story… so touching! Wonderful read, Diana. ♥️

16. ah, sad breaks the heart.

17. delphini510 says:

Diana, what a wonderful story you written. Snow Globe just catches your heart and
    mind. Oh, I admit to a tear but also a smile at the love that always was and will be.
    Have a wonderful Christmas
    miriam

18. Wow, The Snow Globe touched my “romantic” heart. I enjoyed your story, Diana.

19. Mae Clair says:

I left you a comment on Sally’s Blog, but this one was pure magic!

20. A magical story with breathtakingly beautiful descriptions

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )