Write and Change the World

Sally Cronin has a wonderful new feature:
Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives.
I’m honored that she shared my old post on the power of kindness.

Today Diana shares her thoughts on random acts of kindness and explores if they can make a difference in this world that is struggling with so many disenfranchised and poverty stricken people. Is there a ripple effect of our efforts closer to home?  Read on…..

Write and Change the World by D. Wallace Peach

Most of us have days filled with small acts of kindness. We smile, kiss hurt elbows, throw tennis balls for our dogs. We pay for a coworker’s coffee and leave a big tip. We call a friend in need, chauffeur teenagers, cook a favorite meal, or pick up ice cream on the way home. These small invisible acts often go unacknowledged, but they travel around in overlapping circles, keep our lives balanced and relationships healthy. We see the results in strengthened bonds, deeper commitment, and abiding love.

But what about those times when we don’t see the ripples? When we toss acts of kindness and compassion into a seemingly bottomless well of suffering and despair? When we perceive no reward for our efforts? When we don’t know if we’re making any lasting difference in our world at all? Some strangers we’ll meet face to face, but most we’ll never know. The poignant tales of their lives will play out in other neighborhoods, other cities, and other lands, unseen and unheard….

Continue reading: Smorgasbord Posts from Your Archives – Write and Change the World by D. Wallace Peach

77 thoughts on “Write and Change the World

1. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Powerful post! We all can do with a bit of kindness; a give and take, and everybody wins.

2. […] via Write and Change the World — Myths of the Mirror […]

3. paulandruss says:

you already know how much I love reading your thought provoking words… but I will say just a powerful reading it for the second time!

A wonderful post, Diana and so happy to have read it as part of Sally’s excellent series…gives everyone an opportunity to catch up on posts they might have missed the first time! 😀❤️

5. inesephoto says:

Thank you for this wonderful article, Diana. Indeed, no act of kindness goes unnoticed, even if it seems so. If there are no ripples, it is sufficient to look in the mirror and see your own smile, your softened look. I so wish people understood the power of kindness.

6. Such a wonderful post, Diana! I wish more people would take the Golden Rule more seriously. Kindness is like a smile, I think (I hope): a smile can set off other smiles, and soon everyone feels better. Have a great week!

7. I missed this one, Diana. I’m glad it made another round. It shouldn’t be so hard to be kind and compassionate. Seriously, more need to try it until this becomes part of their norm.

8. I’m all in! Kindness should be out daily mantra… ♥

9. What a book cover. The idea of ‘pay it forward’–it’s harder than it sounds to deliver. I love how you’ve addressed it.

• Thanks, Jacqui. I actually think kindness is pretty easy if we don’t expect anything in return but the joy of it for its own sake. You, my dear, are kind every day on your blog, btw. Keep smiling. 🙂

And this was a beautiful read the second time round Diana. Random acts of Kindness, one step at a time makes great strides . 🙂 xx

11. Tina Frisco says:

I love this post, Diana. It was a pleasure to read a second time. And a new thought settled . . . True kindness can only be achieved when we step aside and get out of our own way, acting without attachment to or expectation of a perceived outcome. Your writing inspires me ❤

12. arlene says:

Random acts of kindness….they change how we see the world.

13. This made me so happy! Thank you. xo

14. Diana is fabulous and I’m so glad I found her! I got Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters in the mail today and I can’t wait to read it! The illustrations are amazing. My grandson Maxwell is going to love it. It will be one of his birthday presents next month.

15. I’m so glad that Sally pulled this gem from your archives, your writing is exquisitely beautiful and so very timely…your words are a balm for the world just when we need it most!

16. Fabulous post, Diana! 🙂 Spreading the word… xo

17. So true, Diana. Books do change our lives and broaden our horizons. Maybe, as you say, sometimes the ripple effect is invisible to the writer, but it does exist. Nothing goes to waste. I didn’t know you wrote a children’s book and illustrated it, as well. How wonderful! 🙂

18. C.E.Robinson says:

Diana, I’m for giving random acts of kindness to complete strangers when there’s a perceived need, or for no reason at all. A helping hand, or even a simple nod, smile or hello in passing. Have a wonder-filled weekend. 🎼 Christine

• Thanks for visiting, Christine. I’m so glad you can relate. One night after a book group meeting, I went out to the parking lot and every car had a small bag of Hersey’s kisses taped to the door handle. That small act of kindness was so sweet (pun intended lol). I remember it 8 years later. 🙂 Happy Weekend!

19. Such a beautiful and inspiring post, Diana. I believe most people appreciate kindness and yes, a smile goes a long way! Lovely sharing… and thank you. 🙂 🙂

20. I think that even when those ripples don’t affect us, or we don’t know they exist that they still affect someone else. ripples on a pond – the rings keep widening.
    again, wonderful, true words. thanks for sharing.

21. The V Pub says:

Imagine if everyone did one random act of kindness each day. What a wonderful world, indeed.

• I know, Rob. It would be such a huge shift. And it’s cheap and easy too, so why not. One of the nice things about anonymous kindness is that without a single person to thank, we end up grateful to everyone. Have a lovely weekend! 😀

22. delphini510 says:

It is a deep and wonderful post and I love Jefferson’s statement.
    Even if we don’t see those acts of kindnesses I believe we can be sure they have the same ripple effect as the ones we see.
    So let us never give up?
    miriam

23. I think that you can tell from the response from those reading the post how much it meant to them Diana.. all set for your post tomorrow.. thanks for the wonderful contributions. xx

24. That’s wonderful. I love the idea of random acts of kindness.