Happy Halloweensie

Pixabay images modified by author

Mike Allegra suggested that I give Susanna Hill’s Halloweensie Writing Contest a try.  The goal was to write a 100-word Halloween story appropriate for children (12 and under) using the words candy cornmonster, and shadow. Here’s my entry:

Monster under the Bed

Darla scrunched her blanket under her chin. “You can turn off the light, mom.”

“You won’t be scared?”

“I’m okay. And you don’t need to check under my bed; there’s no monster.”

Her mother kissed her. “Honey, I’m so proud of you.”

Left alone, Darla clutched her trick or treat bag. A gnarled troll with pointy fangs crept from the shadows beneath her bed. Its orange eyes squinted and curved claws rustled in a paper sack. “I got chocolates,” it growled. “What did you get?”

“Taffy, licorice, and candy corn,” Darla whispered. “Want to trade?”

“Bah.” The monster giggled. “Let’s share.”

162 thoughts on “Happy Halloweensie

1. glowofmind says:

Awwww, its really cute 🙂 different perspective; would love to read more …

2. mycountryepoque says:

was too sweet a read Diana. You made me laugh! What a friendly monster that one was. I hope Darla and monster will be friends forever! Thank you for posting!

3. So cute, Diana! Love that the child and monster are in cahoots 🙂 Thanks so much for joining in the Halloweensie fun – I’m glad Mike talked you into it! 🙂

4. devereaux frazier says:

Reblogged this on Creative Writing Reblogged.

5. You and Mike’s (I’m still fond of the mischievous sorcerer) are my favorites in the contest! 🙂

6. Erik says:

Perfect. 😉

I have a stone gargoyle that might be related to yours (just a tad less grouchy-faced).

7. J.D. Riso says:

This is adorable. Happy belated Halloween.

I love this, Diana! 🎃

9. What a seriously great little story, Diana! I wish I had the capacity to just run with a prompt like that! And as much as I love horror, I think Halloween stories for children — like It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and The Nightmare Before Christmas — are hands-down the best kind. I think you could develop “Monster under the Bed” into a full-length children’s book (perhaps illustrated?)!

• Thanks, Sean. I think there’s a secret staircase under the bed and many adventure to be had down there with the trolls. 🙂 I’ve been entering a few more of these competitions and getting a kick out of the prompts. Of course, I should be working on my WIP! 😀 Have a great weekend!

10. Erika Beebe says:

It’s so cute! It would also be cute to see if an illustrator could portray it and then turn it into something fun for kids 🙂

11. Sweet, cute and lovely