A BOOK LOVER’S TAG

images from pixabay

I’ve returned after a 10-day, 30k-word break. So much catching up to do, but rested and ready.

Now… who doesn’t Love Books?

Annika Perry tagged all her followers with the Book Lover’s Tag, and well… I couldn’t resist. I tag you all too, but if you aren’t inclined to take me up on it, please leave your favorite best-ever book in the comments and a quick reason why you love, love, love it. I’ll put them all in a long list in a future post.

On to the questions:

1.Do you have a specific place for reading?

Nope. I’ll read anywhere, and I’m never without a book. Long plane rides or layovers, waiting for an oil change, stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, sitting in a canoe and fishing, all are great places to read. Most of my reading, though, happens in bed before zonking out. I prop my eyes open with toothpicks to get to the end of the chapter and pay the price in the morning.

2. Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Um… neither. I’m a dog-earer. I love my books to pieces, literally. They’re like a favorite stuffed animal from childhood that’s dragged everywhere by an arm, dropped in lakes, and taken on camping trips. Now, if I’m borrowing a book, it’s a random piece of paper. I’m not organized enough to use bookmarks, though I think they’re pretty.

3. Do you eat or drink whilst reading?

Yes. There are hot sauce, grease, and coffee stains in my books. I know! Terrible! Disgraceful! I open the pages and crumbs fall out.

4. Music or TV whilst reading.

Usually neither, though I can tune both out if I need to. With a really good book, the house could be on fire and I wouldn’t notice.

5. One book at a time or several?

I’m definitely monogamous. One love at a time or I might get confused, and that always ends poorly. Plus, it’s way too much drama. 🙂

6. Do you prefer to read at home or elsewhere?

Sort of the same as number 1, but I’ll answer “home” since I’m a hermit.

7. Read out loud or silently?

I often read poetry aloud because I like the taste and sound of the words. Recently, I read parts of a book in my Yankee version of an Irish accent. The “voice” of the narrator/character was so wonderful, I couldn’t resist. I’ll review that book soon. That said, 99% of my reading is silent.

8. Do you read ahead or skip pages?

I read every single word. Skip pages? Goodness no. I might miss something important.

9. Break the spine or keep it like new.

If the spine breaks, it breaks. I wouldn’t do it on purpose. My book love isn’t intentionally abusive!

10. Do you write in books?

Of course! The better the book, the more I write in it. I underline and highlight phrases, sentences, and passages that I think are masterful. You know how they say that reading makes one a better writer? It’s true. Some books are like master-classes and I’m enthralled, wanting to capture the genius. It’s the one of the things I don’t like about ebooks, I can’t mark them all up.

11. What books are you reading now?

I’m reading The Red Queen’s War series by Mark Lawrence, an amazing fantasy author who also penned The Broken Empire Series. His books definitely are pen and highlighter worthy. I like reading amazing authors while I’m writing. They inspire me.

12. What is your childhood favorite book?

As a little girl, it would have to be E. B. White’s Charlotte’s Web. It was the first book to make me cry, and that emotional release felt so good, I immediately read it again so I could cry again.  I think it contributed to my decision 35 years later to become a grief counselor.

My favorite book(s) as a young teenager was Tolkien’s The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which kicked off a fanatical love of reading. I think it contributed to my decision 35 years later to become a fantasy writer. Aren’t books amazing?

13. What is your all-time favorite book?

Anam Cara by John O’Donohue. His writing speaks to my heart and soul. I’d be a stalker if he was still alive.

That’s it! You’re all tagged and remember to leave your answer to Question 13 in the comments with your reason why.

206 thoughts on “A BOOK LOVER’S TAG

1. Kev says:

Lol… OMG… Love your habits. I just read, Mae’s post as well. Going to have to do one later in the week… Have to!!!

2. Bel says:

Love your reading habits! Eating and drinking while reading, totally oblivious to your surroundings, and the ability to just read anywhere. You are a true book lover! 😊 My all time favorite book is Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I tend to always cheer for the underdog and the ability to rise against all odds. Growing up, I remember reading A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L ‘Engle. I don’t remember it that much anymore I just knew it was quite an adventour and I read it like a dozen times from 8-10 yrs old 😊

3. iArtichokeu says:

I feel so picky when it comes to bookmarks. I can’t use a blank piece of paper. I have a Dr. Seuss set that I’ve been using for awhile. Guess they remind me of where my reading began, and it should be fun, haha.

• Writing this post did make me want to go out and buy some cool bookmarks (or make some)! But I don’t read many print books anymore, which I kind of miss. Thanks for stopping by, Rob. Hey… what’s your best ever book so I can add it to my list?!

• iArtichokeu says:

Oh geez, this is an extremely tough question to answer! After spending some time to think, I’ve decided to go with Still Life With Rice by Helie Lee. It’s a biography and autobiography about an American woman’s Korean grandmother, and her legacy. It’s really a work of art, and something I go back to reading when I feel as though I’m struggling in life. It’s really an eye opener.

4. inesephoto says:

My ‘like’ is gone, but my comment is still here 🙂 I hate it when WordPress removes the ‘likes’. Bloggers might think I never visit 😦

5. Greasy, dogeared pages? Indifference to cracked spines?

Annika, you are a Book Abuser!

6. I’m also late to read and reply, Diana. Great post. My favorite book in childhood was A CHILD’S GARDEN OF VERSES by Robert Louis Stevenson. It was a gift from an aunt and has beautiful illustrations. It needs to be recovered as it was in a leaky basement one time. I have an emotional attachment to it. I also love the HARRY POTTER books by J.K. Rowling which I read more recently. I’ve loved a great many books in my lifetime. I try to use bookmarks if they come with the book, paper scraps if they don’t. 🙂 — Suzanne

• Harry Potter got a couple other mentions, Suzanne. I’m going to need to read that someday soon. And I can understand the love of classically illustrated children’s books. I have a few that are just amazing, and quite old. Recovering would be a wonderful idea – those books are heirlooms. Happy Reading!

7. Awesome post, Diana (even if I’m late to the party). I can’t pick a favorite book–there have been many that have made an impact on my at various times in my life, from “Island of the Blue Dolphins” to “Are you there, God, it’s me, Margaret” to the Pern books to “Wizard’s First Rule” to the varied mystery/suspense books I’m reading now (Kay Hooper and Tami Hoag especially). I can read just about anywhere if the book is good enough, otherwise a nice cozy corner at home is best. And I have to use bookmarks, even if it’s a receipt or a scrap of paper. Happy Writing!

8. Anonymous says:

Here’s two books that I really enjoyed: Ham on Rye by Charles Bukowsky and The Glass Bead Game by Herman Hesse. Some books have the effect that in some moments you forget everything else, you even forget that you’re reading a book, and just drift away into the story in a state of absolute joy. Theses two are books like that.

• Thanks for the recommendations. That total immersion that you describe is reading bliss. I love how books have the ability to tap into our consciousness and transport us to a world that is just as real as the one we live in. Happy Friday. 🙂

9. Helen Jones says:

I enjoyed this post very much, Diana – it was nice to hear about your reading habits!

I’m sorry to say I can’t pick just one favourite book, it’s just not possible 😀

Hope you’re well

10. Antonia says:

You are a true book lover Diana, and I enjoyed reading your answers. I agree with you, you can’t skip a word! My all time favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo, I literally could not put it down. It is a long book, but I would have kept on reading if I could. It is a beautiful story of a life interrupted, the building of strength and patience, and the ultimate revenge. Love it!

11. Great answers to some really neat questions. I’m a hermit too, Diana, but I’d read anywhere. Nothing beats getting lost in a good book, it really bothers me that kids today do not want to read. I’m always trying to encourage them to find something that interests them. Great post, I enjoyed your answers. There are a few people I might stalk also if given the opportunity, ha ha.

12. Locke Dor says:

This is my first time reading you and it was very insightful. I particularly like reading about how people read or why they choose to read. Thank you for providing such good answers to questions. It definitely inspires me as to my own personal reasons for reading.

– Locke Dor

13. Ali Isaac says:

I dog ear a book too, although now I read a lot on my phone… it’s so damn handy! I ALWAYS read in bed, no matter how late it Is! Love reading, never watch tv, always reading or writing. I usually read one at a time, but since I started uni I have no choice but to read lots of books at once! Every book I read is my fave at the time, so that’s impossible to answer, but… my dad gave me a copy of Watership Down when I was 9 years old, which I read so much over the years that the cover came off and it literally fell apart. So that must be a contender! Happy Halloween to you! 👻😊

• I loved Watership Down, Ali. So funny that you read it to pieces! That’s a well-loved book! Hope your days at Uni are glorious and that you’re being a sponge with all that knowledge and experience. Happy Thursday!

• Ali Isaac says:

I really Did, literally! I think I still have it… or what’s left of it. All my old books went up into my mum’s loft years ago. As far as I know, they’re all still there. Uni is great this year… I’m very happy. 5 essays lined up for the next couple of weeks. Loving it! 😊 Happy Thursday back at ya! And happy Friday, Saturday and Sunday too.

14. This post is so very you, Diana. Wonderful! A favourite book! Hmmmm that is really tough. I will go with I am David by Ann Holmes. I was given this book to read when I was ten years old and it made a huge impact on me. I have re-read it many times and read it to both my boys. It is one of Greg’s favourite books too.

15. M. Miles says:

Now I need to read Anam Cara. I love Celtic tradition! Have you read Ireland by Frank Delaney? It’s one of my favorites!

• Oh, I hope you do pick up Anam Cara. It’s sublime. And thanks so much for the recommendation. I will definitely pick up Delaney. I hope to travel to that magical land someday soon and can’t seem to get enough of it. Thanks for stopping by and have an awesome day. 😀

16. Aquileana says:

Diana!,
    I love this book lovers tags… I can totally relate with “writing in books”: A professor I once had at High School suggested us as we studied Sophocles´s pieces (i.e “Oedipus Rex” and “Antigone”),… and I am still grateful to her as the tradition continued from then onwards… Excellent post. I love the ending quote card as well, particularly when it highlights that due to imagination and words contained in books, each person might go beyond the visible in order to see the inviisble (my blog motto is “the visible world is just a pretext”, so absolutely I love it)…
    All the best to you ❤ 🙂

• Thanks for the lovely comment, Aquileana. Another writer-in-books. I love the way it imprints passages in my head and how easy they are to return to again and again. My motto is “fantasy given form” – along the same lines, I think. It all starts with the imagination. Have a wonderful day. ❤ 🙂

17. theburningheart says:

I guess as book lovers we all come in different categories, habits, and taste, but it is always nice to read other people’s read list, habits, and peculiarities.
    I read everywhere I got a chance, for example Sunday I went to a friends gathering with numerous people, after the meal seek refuge at the house library, and after browsing pick up a couple of books, and sat on the desk, meanwhile the children were chased out of the garden away from the adults, and all ended playing in the library, as usual loud and running here, and there, me seating absorbed in the books, not paying any attention to the children upheaval, an adult will butt his/her head into the library to tell the kids to keep it quiet, since the noise reached the other rooms, and marveled at me seating undisturbed by all their racket. Little they know at my lifetime practice of reading everywhere, I do not own a car, so I can read on the bus ride!
    Like a paper book, spend already too much time on my PC to read on a tablet,
    Besides, like the feel, and texture of a book, many times the texture and feel of the book makes my pick between different editions, and translators of a particular author to the point I collect beautiful expensive editions, just to enjoy that taste.
    Leather bound, bible paper,and bookmark ribbon, my dream come true!
    Example:

The earliest existing bookmark dates from the 6th century AD and it is made of ornamented leather lined with vellum on the back and was attached with a leather strap to the cover of a Coptic codex (Codex A, MS 813 Chester Beatty Library, Dublin)

As you can imagine, like to keep my books as clean as possible, instead of notations on the book, carry with me a notebook where I write whatever need to be noted.
    Do I read when I eat?
    Rarely, but never put the book near the food, and certainly not under me where sauce can make a mess out of a book!
    I am very eclectic about my reading, but of lately, lack time to read just anything, so carefully select what I buy to read, and stay away from just pure entertaining pleasure, with little literary value, I know it’s hard to abstain, but life’s too short to read everything!

Thank you for your enjoyable post! 🙂

• I love your reverence for books, and the way your describe the sight, smell, and texture of them. I admit to having some old ones and favorites ones that are pristine (in their own little bookshelf altars that no one’s allowed to disturb) – Tolkien, Shakespeare, and classics inherited from my grandparents. They are treasured treasures. Thanks so much for sharing your love of books here. ❤

Fabulous post, Diana. My all time favorite book? Charlotte’s Web. I read it aloud every year at school as our first chapter reading book of the year. Today Charlotte will write for the last time. Why my favorite? It is about life, everything important. The words are so beautifully woven together (pun intended). AND, yesterday your book arrived at school! Colin loves it. So do I. Grumpy Ana is a treasure. Thank you, Diana. ❤️

19. inesephoto says:

Ah, such a fun read, Diana! I wish there were more book lovers in this world.
    When I borrow a book I return it in the same state I got it, but my own books hold those crumbs for decades. Everything and anything has been used as a bookmark. Just a few days ago I opened a poetry book and a tiny slip of paper fell out. On inspection it turned out to be a 25 years old piece of my daughter’s homework I apparently had torn off to make a bookmark.

20. Oh Diana, you have made my day. It’s always good to start the day with a laugh, a smile and a chuckle…welcome back by the way, I really have missed your posts. I had one absolutely treasured bookmark which my daughter made me in pre-school. On returning home from the library and wanting to start on the next book, I discovered I had carelessly left the bookmark with the books, long story short , bookmark never found! I grew up on books, and I treasure books, no dog ears, no food, coffee yes, but no stains allowed. I have to read in silence, a book has to grab me from the start and then I will be non existent to the world till it is finished.
    Have a great week ! 🙂

• Hi, Lynne. Thanks so much for stopping by. I don’t beat on my books on purpose, but things happen and I can’t stress about it or I’d never read. I was telling Jacqui that yesterday it was a forkful of meatloaf and gravy right in the crease. Oops. I did frown at that one. And I’m with you on that immersion that leaves the world behind – that’s a great book! Happy reading!

21. […] brings me to today’s post. D. Wallace Peach ( a lovely blogger who you should follow 🙂 ) tagged all her followers with the Book Lover’s […]

22. It was such fun to read your answers, Diana. You slayed me with the hot sauce and grease. 😀
    Hugs on the wing.

23. I loved your answers Diana. I am with you on John O’Donohoe but my favourite book is The Artists Way by Julia Cameron. 😊

• You’ve mentioned that one a few times, Brigid. I loved that one too. It was the first time I’d really committed to journaling for more than a day or two and it was so powerful. Great choice. Thanks for stopping by to read! Have a great week!

24. So nice to have you back, Diana. I’ve missed your pithy commentary.

Love the post. You and I read alike though for all the reasons you take ownership of your books, these are why I’m switching to digital. I was embarrassed when I took a load of print books to the library to donate and they rejected more than they took because, well, for all the reasons you mentioned. Now, digitally, I can do anything to the book and still loan it out in pristine condition.

• Hi Jacqui! I’m slowly wading through blogs and catching up. It’s fun after a brief time away. I’m mostly a digital reader now, but I do miss writing in my books. And my ipad doesn’t like getting dropped in the bathtub! Ha ha. I’ll be over soon, my friend. Thanks for the “welcome back!”

25. Solitaire says:

It warmed my heart xx

26. This is a wonderful post, Diana, and the comments are also intriguing. I read in bed too and if a book is suspenseful I read the ending so I can relax while I finish it. And I admit that without shame, which shows how shameless I am. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee comes to mind as one of my all time favorite books, with its unforgettable characters and strong message conveyed through ‘show, don’t tell.’ I also love anything written by Barbara Kingsolver, Richard Russo, John Steinbeck, and my home town author Stephen King. If I find myself skipping through a book, I usually don’t finish it because if I love a book I would never skip any parts of it. I’m reading Catling’s Bane right now and thoroughly enjoying it, but my problem is I read several books at one time making progress slow. And it does add to confusion which is my natural state. Wow! A grief counselor. Heavy duty and such a noble occupation.

• Aaah. We like lots of the same authors, though I’m not a huge fan of horror… it’s too scary! I’d probably read more King if he was my neighbor, though. 😀 And To Kill a Mockingbird is a great one for the list. Thanks so much for picking up Catling’s Bane, too. I’m honored and tickled. So you’re a polygamous reader, huh? Have a wonderful week 🙂

27. balroop2013 says:

Your answers are so refreshing Diana though your ‘dog earer’ accomplishment tore my heart away. Probably because we were always told that those who don’t respect books can’t learn anything and therefore I kept my books away from tea, coffee, sauce and oil. 🙂

• I think it’s lovely that you care for your books, Balroop. I do have a few that I’ve had for a long time and treasure. No one’s allowed to touch them. Ha ha. But I love loving them up too. (I’ll occasionally buy two – one to prize, one to write all over and drop in the bathtub.) 🙂

28. I took a six-week break from blogging,and I’ll NEVER catch up! BUT… I read almost 30 books in that time on my tablet from my bed at night.(Almost 99% indie authors!) I never thought I’d read digital, because I love the feel of books so much. I’ve been too exhausted at the end of the day to head to my blogs and felt I couldn’t contribute. Great to see you Diana. I’ll have to see if I can download Anam Cara, you have me intrigued! One of my all-time favorite books is The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille. Add Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry to that too. My favorite childhood book was a Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’Engle which led me to my love for science fiction then on to fantasy from there! But I read pretty much all genres except romance. I’ve been introduced to some great books with the book club I’ve joined too, which now leads me to add another favorite book: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. Oh my, this ended up being long-winded. I could add so many books to my list, lol. xoxoxo

• 30 Books is totally awesome! Ack. I’m so jealous! Thanks for the great list of favorites, some that I haven’t read yet. Catching up completely is impossible, and everyone understands. Breaks are always worth it. Is your cart closed down for the winter? It was loads of fun, wasn’t it? I’ll be over to say hi, soon. ❤

29. amreade says:

Love this!!! I can’t wait to write up a post with my own answers!

30. Joanne Sisco says:

I learned something new about you. I didn’t know you were (are?) a grief counsellor. What a very difficult and emotional job!

I’ve had many books touch and influence my life over the years. The one that immediately comes to mind right now is Love You Forever by Robert Munsch. It was given to me when my youngest son was a newborn and I recently gave it to a friend who became a new mother. I don’t think I’ve ever read it without crying.

• That’s a great one, Joanne. I can’t read the title without falling on the floor in a blubbering heap! That story encapsulates pure unconditional love. I’m all teary writing this comment! Yup, I did grief counseling with children and families and with hospice. It was emotional and hard but beautiful work if that makes sense. Thanks so much for visiting!

31. Fun to read of your book-loving habits, D. It made me think of Billy Crystal’s line in When Harry Met Sally. He always read the last page of a novel, just in case he died before he got to finish it.

So many favorites for me, but if I judge by the book I most often have gifted over the years, it would be The Little Prince.

• That Billy Crystal line is so funny because sometimes I feel that way too!! Ha ha. Though I’d never cheat and read the end ahead of the book. And I love The Little Prince. I forgot about that beautiful story. It’s you, Van. ❤ Great choice.

32. Erik says:

Oh, Diana! We are two peas in a pod! I’ve read just about everywhere you can imagine (and some you can’t). I definitely do real-aloud voices when one intrigues me and I just have to try out for the part. 😀 I dog-ear (don’t think I’ve ever used a bookmark in my life) and eat and drink (though I’m pretty tidy at all times). And I’ve definitely read books a second time, just to get the good cry again.

I have peeked ahead (though never skipped; I read every word) just to see if a character’s name appears later on, if I just can’t take the suspense of wondering if they really died just now. (I did this with your Rose Shield series.)

Childhood favorite would have to be my very first novel, which I read when I was five: The Farthest Away Mountain by Lynne Reid Banks. It was the start of my love for fantasy as well.

My first good cry was “Mask” by John Minahan, about a boy with a rare and fatal skull deformity living with a loving biker mom who guessed her way through caring for him. The boy’s ability to show love to others in creative ways, even while others looked on him with shock and horror, I’ll never forget.

My biggest cry was Traveling Light by Katrina Kittle. By the end, I was peering over wads of tissue, just leaking into them and heaving as I turned pages. A friend walked in on me in that state and thought my mother had died.

Favorite series as a teen: The Belgariad (5 books) by David Eddings. No other work of his ever compared.

Reading now: One Man’s Meat by (as it happens) E. B. White

Favorite single book of all time? Egad. Tough one! I don’t think it’s because it is amazingly written, but perhaps because of my own personal experience with it at the time I read it, I’d probably have to say Firestarter by Stephen King. (I’m embarrassed to say that; I feel I should’ve listed some deep and meaningful tome, but, hey … this is the real me.)

• Nice, Erik. I didn’t know that E. B. White wrote adult books! And thanks for some of the tear-jerkers – I like those but in small doses since they turn me into a wreck. And Firestarter… I enjoyed that one a long time ago before the movie ever came out. It’s fun to talk about those books that really moved or changed us. They are quite powerful. I’ll have to get The Farthest Away Mountain for Tornado Boy. He’s already a fantasy kid. Thanks for playing with me. I’ll be over soon 😀

33. This is fabulous fun and I am coming back later to give it my best shot – except you stole my favourite book out from under me …… ❤

• That’s okay. We can love the same book! It is a fun tag and a nice way to ease back after a break. Thanks for stopping by to read and hope your week is inspired. 🙂

• I’m back – reading all the comments is sooo interesting too – I could spend hours here Diana! I’m hitting ALL the questions 🙂
        1 Mostly in bed these days, though sometimes curled on the sofa with a puppy snoozing beside me and a blankie over my legs. 2 I used to page curl – but my daughter who worships at the temple of books (and who is my major book supplier) would tell me off and supply me with endless bookmarks so now I use them. 3 Rarely to hardly ever. 4 No. 5 I prefer one at a time, I will have more on the go if I am not so involved with the story – but as I tend to monogamy that generally spells doom for the book that was put aside. 6 As I mostly read in bed, it’s best if I’m home 🙂 7 If the words are particularly pleasing, if the cadence of writing captures me I will sometimes quote aloud to the puppy. I was much given to loving passages so much I would learn them by heart and quote them to my long suffering family and friends. Please note, I now live alone and have only the puppy and cat to quote to and the cat usually leaves the room. If it is poetry I often read it aloud, it improves the art I feel. 8 No. Never. 9 Despite abusing pages I hate to break spines. Most of my books nowadays are read and still look as if they have just been lifted from a shelf in the book store. 10 Only if they are a text book or research book and I am intent on learning something definitive from them. 11 I am currently reading ‘The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks’ The woman whose cancer cells changed medical history. Author Rebecca Skloot. Its a provocative, alarming, inspiring and horrific read…… 12 I can’t say – there were so many. There was though, this one book that was a Christmas gift. t was well known that I loved books and that my one wish was for a book that never ended. My aunt found me the biggest, fattest children’s annual anthology book available and gave it to me. I don’t remember what it was called but I can still tell you many of the best stories in there. I adored that book – it would last forever! It almost did. I eked out the last three or four stories and was heartbroken when I got to the end…. But the best thing? The following Christmas I got the next in the series. And again the year after – oh joy!! My daughter has those three books now. 13 I have read my favourite Eliot, Austen and Dickens again and again. But the words of John O’Donohue – his intent and phrasing and message are a great love. I admit to having Anam Cara, the audio book, read by him. His musical Irish voice sings to me as I work on my art sometimes and I lose myself in his voice as well as his words. But when I think on it, just one favourite? Not possible –

• What a wonderful reply, Pauline. “The Temple of Books.” Ha ha ha. And yes, if you’re going to read in bed, it’s best to be home. 🙂 I loved your desire for a book that never ended – that’s magical and you actually came close! I also love Eliot and Austen and also Hardy from the same era. Ahhhh. Bliss. And and audio of O’Donohue… the best yet. I’m going to have to invest. Thanks so much for playing!!! ❤

34. So many lovely words, where do I start?! I loved reading Anam Cara by John O’Donohue, Charlotte’s Web was a childhood favourite as well as Little Women – both the Chronicles of Amber and the Chronicles of Narnia transported me on many a day and I’ll never forget the books by Madeleine L’Engle! Today finds me reading the Harry Potter books for the first time, it’s a treat to visit their world just before I go to sleep! Welcome back and thank you for this very delightful post…

Diana, I’m delighted you picked up this tag and applied your magic spin to it! 😀😃The pictures are both fun and mystical…I love the top one. I”m trying not to cringe at broken spines & dog-eared pages…great how we’re all so different. Other ways so similar and I’m a Tolkien fan and you’ve introduced me to the wonders of John O’Donohue (fantastic quote!) and Charlotte’s Web (ahh…heartbreaking and heartwarming and very touching to read how this inspired you to become a grief counselor). Here’s to making the invisible visible…through our words and reading others!😃❤️

• Yours was so fun, Annika, I had to give it a try, and it was a nice easy way to return from a break. I’ve picked up a few reading recommendations from your blog over the years. It’s one of the joys of blogging –
      sharing well-loved reads. Happy Reading, my friend. 🙂

36. Dawn D says:

Ha! I love your wit!
    I received Catling’s Bane and am reading it before gifting it to my teen on an upcoming birthday. Definitely paying the price today, toothpick marks on my eyelids 😉
    I think I’ll give this a try. Been writing so many dark poems since the beginning of the month, that tear at my soul, I need some lighter writing!
    Thanks for sharing!
    XO

37. You let out all your dirty secrets even in a seemingly innocent tag like this one for book lovers. I have to admit, I cringe at the thought of dog earring a book. In fact, I caught my nine-year-old granddaughter doing that and almost broke my vow to always be a sweet smiling kind grandmother who makes cookies and plays hours of Scrabble. So I didn’t yell at her but I did run to my dresser drawer where I have about 10 fancy beautiful bookmarks and I gave her one. She’s probably lost it by now. But if you’d ever like one, please tell me and I will send it to you immediately! 😘

38. So much fun! I remember Charlotte’s web very well!

39. I enjoy so much learning more about you Diane! I too turn down my page corners. I tried bookmarks but always go back to old habits. That’s ok. My favorite book so far is one I read many years ago but the feeling that I had while reading it stays with me. The one and only time I sympathized with the villain protagonist, a social clbet and murderer was while reading Dreiser ‘s 1925 classic “An American Tragedy”. It’s effect on me was disturbing and I am in awe of any writer that can appeal to the readers emotions so effectively. Thank you Diane. Hav the loveliest day!

Wonderful to learn you’re as bad as me with your books, ( I had a lot of fingers shaking at me for dog-earing, writing in and breaking spines, lol. That’s what I call a well-loved book! 🙂 xx

41. Val Boyko says:

What a lovely read! Thank you for sharing Diana. The only one-at-a-time book I focus on is the one I read for my book group. (Currently Hillbilly Elegy) Otherwise I am surrounded by old and modern spiritual and philosophical books that I dip into often … Including Anam Cara 🙏

• Thanks for sharing, Val. Isn’t Anam Cara exquisite? I just love that book. When I first read your comment I read “Otherwise I’m surrounded by old men and spiritual…” Ha ha. I had to read that line twice! Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week. ❤

42. babbitman says:

I have to admit that I flinch in horror if I drop food or drink on a book, and wouldn’t dream of creasing the corners! That’s probably why my well-read copies of The Hitch-Hikers Guide To The Galaxy (original trilogy) are still just about hanging together (they are over 30 years old now). THHGTTG, TRATEOTU & LTUAE defined my teenage reading years and I guess still influences my writing decades later.
    The book that left the biggest impression on me as an adult was Complicity by Iain Banks (incredible use of different POV in a dark thriller).
    And to round things off, the best thing I’ve read in recent years is probably still Sunwielder – I really must get a nice signed copy from somewhere 😉

43. C.E.Robinson says:

Diana, wish I had a favorite book to talk about. My book choices are all over the place. The last book I read was What The Dog Knows by Cat Warren. Fascinating story of people training dogs to sniff drugs, bombs and dead bodies, and the science behind why dogs can be good at these tasks. Not for everyone, however, I love stories about dogs, and Warren is a good writer. Reading now, Dog Medicine by Julie Barton. A memoir about how to save yourself from depression. Of course a dog helped in the healing process. Have a wonder-filled week. Christine

• Thanks for playing along, Christine. You do seem to like range of books. I love books about dogs too, but some are just too sad for me (when they get old and die). I can’t take it. Give me fantasy gruesomeness any day. 😀 Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

44. Carrie Rubin says:

I eat while I read too. I always feel bad when I splash a drop of spaghetti sauce on a library book, but not enough to stop doing it. 😁

I have a lot of favorite books, but the one that stands out most to me is “A Fine Balance” by Rohinton Mistry. It was heartbreaking, but it was also beautiful. I still think about it years later.

45. Hi. I have so many favorite booksi can’t really decide which one to pick. they are all crowding my head shouting “pick me!” like a chorus. I’m so undecided yet. i might do that book tag, if i remember to.

46. I’m on a break so…I’m not really here. You’re imagining it. Also, I don’t drop links in comments, like ever, so here’s a link to my Book Lovers Tag I did a few months ago. 😉

I LOVE Anam Cara. It’s in my bedside table. And Charlotte’s Web. Aww…much crying with that one. I’m too old to claim Harry Potter as a childhood book so I’ll go with Chronicles of Narnia.

Welcome back. ❤

47. Mae Clair says:

Oooh, what fun! I just may take you up on the tag too if I can squeeze it in this week. I’m glad you were able to grab a break from writing (you are kicking butt!!!) to play with this fun reading post.

I remember reading Charlotte’s Web as a child, too, and how I cried at the end.

Your answer about the hot sauce and coffee stains made me laugh. 🙂

It’s always torture picking a single book as favorite, but I think I would choose The Terror by Dan Simmons. It’s such a masterful-lyrical-brutal blend of history, fantasy, horror and even a smidgen of romance. I was in awe when I finished it.

48. This was a fun look into your reading habits. As far as my favorite book of all time? That’s hard, there are far too many to choose. However, when it comes to it, I would say Lord of the Rings, because…well, it’s Lord of the Rings! Is explanation necessary? I get lost in Middle Earth every time, and I usually don’t want to come back.

49. A.P. says:

I liked #3. Haven’t noticed any crumbs falling out yet, but LOTS of coffee stains.

50. Jade M. Wong says:

Ahh, I loved reading about your book-loving ways, Diana. It’s so fascinating to see that we may all be book-lovers at heart, but we express it in such different ways. For example, I could never ever ever dog ear my books or write in them; I prefer keeping my books as clean as possible (although the occasional tea stain does happen!)

Anyway, to answer your Question 13: My all-time favorite book would have to the Harry Potter series (I know, I know this technically counts as 7…so if I have to choose, I guess I’d choose Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, because it’s the first book and it started it all 🙂 )

For me, the Harry Potter books shaped my childhood, nurtured my imagination, and provided comfort as I was growing up. Hogwarts is my home ❤