Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters

My first children’s book is out in print. During my writing break over the summer, I tried my hand at illustration. It was hard and I learned a lot. I have a whole new respect for professional illustrators! You are amazing.

Thank you to all the authors who offered their feedback on the text (a simpler print and no italics). I realize it looks small in these images, but I did order proofs of the book (twice) and the actual size works fine.

I published this through Createspace, and it was a (grizzly) bear dealing with the images. Took me days and days and days to get the dpi right.

I was never going to subject myself to the agent-seeking process again, but I did, rather lamely, send queries to 7 agents in August. No takers, naturally, and I didn’t care a whit. This book was written for fun, illustrated for fun, and published for fun.

I hope you enjoy a few peeks at the illustrations.  And, of course, it has a happy ending.

Only in Print: USA, UK, Canada

Grumpy Ana Goblyn is sour, dour, and cranky. Her lips droop in a frown. She’s bored with every place and person in her friendly town. With the help of her father, she builds a spaceship and travels to a soggy planet where she meets her perfect monster playmates. But there’s a problem! The monsters see her grouchy frown and think she’s a monster. In this children’s space adventure, Ana discovers that her attitude affects her happiness, and she can change it if she chooses.

236 thoughts on “Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters

1. The pictures are beautiful. Good luck!

• Thanks, Susanne. It’s funny with this one being a side project, I feel no pressure to market. Maybe that’s not funny; maybe it’s bad. But it is kind of nice to have created something that had no pressure attached. Thanks for stopping by and Happy Writing.

2. Diana, I’m so sorry I missed this post! How wonderful! I love the concept. The illustrations are perfect for that kind of story. And such color! What a marvelous thing. Wishing you huge success. Hugs on the wing!

• Thanks for taking a peek, Teagan. It was a fun little summer adventure. Now back to writing the grown-up stuff and having lots of fun. 🙂 Never apologize for missing posts – we all have to spread ourselves around as best we can. It’s all good. ❤

3. Amazing! I’m very impressed. Thank you very much for sharing!!

4. Bel says:

Diana I love the illustrations and your words are super catchy as always! Keep up the awesome job! So happy for you 😊

5. […] via Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters — Myths of the Mirror […]

6. MoJo says:

This is stunning! You “tried” your hand at it??? I feel like maybe we have different takes on what that usually looks like once you finish the initial attempt. You are ridiculously talented! This book is going to be on order and heading my way shortly! Congratulations on your brilliant success. 🙂 Joanna

• You are so kind, Joanna. I won’t list all the redo’s and fixes and start-overs. Ha ha. That was probably half of the total time required to pull this together. But I learned a lot and it was a wonderful break from adult books. And my grandson, Tornado Boy, is delighted. Thanks for the visit and I hope you enjoy the book! 😀

7. Fantastic, Diana!!! How wonderful it must be to see your book in print. I am thrilled for you and also very inspired!! xo

8. Antonia says:

Yay, congratulations Diana! I love your illustrations. I just ordered a copy on Amazon and it will be here next week. I bet my kids will love it! 😀

9. shobhna says:

Congratulations! The illustrations are so beautiful.

10. How’d I miss this post? I’m so excited for you. The colors and illustrations and rhyming lines all look like a hit. I know what you mean about using Createspace for a children’s book. I gave up the idea for mine because the illustrations were too large for the Createspace size. Thus, it was so much more costly to print/produce. But, I love the final product, so all good. How’s Tornado Boy like it?

• Tornado boy is coming over this weekend, Pam. He knows the story, but hasn’t seen the pictures. Oh, yes, and silly me didn’t check the book-size options on Createspace!!! One of my many learning curves. Cropping them all to fit! Yeesh! Thanks for taking a peek!

11. Wonderful! I can imagine how tricky it must have been to figure out all the formatting (something I’d like to try someday). You did a great job, congratulations!

• The biggest challenge for me was figuring out how to retain the dpi through all the conversions, Marcia. I’m not that techy, so I just tried a dozen different combinations until it worked. Lol. Thanks for the visit and Happy Writing!

12. Sacha Black says:

Congratulations, this is awesome, I love how colourful and bright it is, kids will love it ❤

13. Ali Isaac says:

Wow! A new string to your bow, Diana! Well done, and best of luck with it, it is certainly colourful and eye-catching, and I’m sure children everywhere will love it!

14. What a cute book! And a children’s book? What inspired you, or was it who? Grandson? Such wonderful colors, and rhyming–I think that might be the tough part for me 🙂 Good luck with it!

• I actually wrote it years ago, Julie. Tornado Boy, 4, has been writing books lately and giving them to me as presents. I figured I’d better reciprocate while he’s still young enough to enjoy. 🙂 Thanks for asking and for the lovely comment. ❤

15. Your talents abound, Diana. The illustrations were delightful and the text was so appealing. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne

16. iArtichokeu says:

Congrats! Sounds like a fun thing to put together. I love her hair! Haha. So unique.

17. inesephoto says:

Wow Diana… Your illustrations are fantastic! Great Christmas gift for my eldest 🙂 You are a star!

18. You never cease to amaze me Diane…wow! I love children’s books and enjoyed them as much as my little one did, maybe more. Have a super day. 🙂

19. Good for you, Diana! That must have been quite the adventure, creating an illustrated book with Createspace. Amazing job!

20. charlypriest says:

You also write childrens books, what do you want to put them kids in therapy?….By the way the other post I noticed you can’t comment on it,
    so I’ll go ahead and comment here, that is my girlfriend!!!!

21. Many congratulations on the new book, Diana. Colourful and eye-catching. Thank goodness you never asked me to contribute to the illustrations. In my art exam at my final year of school, my art teacher wrote this on the school report – ‘Hugh draws like a three-year child!’ I never liked my art teacher anyway. 😀

22. What a delightful tale. Love the illustrations too.

23. Andrew Joyce says:

Even before I knew you did them, I was going to remark on the illustrations and tell you how wonderful they are. And don’t get me started on dpi!!!

• Thanks, Andrew. The whole process was fun, sprinkled with little bouts of sighing with frustration. Yes, those dpi’s seem to downgrade by magic. I spent hours trying different combinations of programs and finally got it to work. Don’t ask me how! 😉

24. […] Continue reading: Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters | Myths of the Mirror […]

25. I so love this book, Diana. It is beautiful and wonderfully written. You are simply just amazing! Have a terrific Sunday 😀

26. Widdershins says:

Huge-mongous congratulations! 😀 … it looks gorgeous. 🙂

27. Joyful2bee says:

I adore the beautiful colors, simplicity and beauty of the artwork. Such a lovely, delightful story line too. Don’t give up, share it with others.

• Thank you, Joy, for the lovely comment. I absolutely intend to share. And maybe next summer I’ll try another. I suppose what was different about this book was that since it’s outside of what I usually write, it was just for the fun of it, no worries about reviews, marketing, revenue. etc. It feels stress free to me. Have a great Sunday and new week!

28. sjhigbee says:

What beautiful illustrations…:)

29. Dan Antion says:

“This book was written for fun, illustrated for fun, and published for fun.” Well, it certainly looks like a fun read.

30. Bernadette says:

Reblogged this on Haddon Musings and commented:
    I just bought my copy. Don’t forget children’s books make wonderful treats at Halloween🎃

31. Cloud Walker says:

Thank you for sharing it.❤️

32. Reblogged this on Richard M. Ankers – Author and commented:
    Some things make me go WOW! Diana’s unending brilliance is one of them.
    Richard

33. There’s a uniqueness about your illustrations–an excellent balance of reality and fiction. I think you’re onto something.

34. Congratulations Diana. Your book looks beautiful.

35. Congratulations, Diana, this is wonderful news :). Love the illustrations! Would you like to do a guest post to promote this book on my blog?

36. Reblogged this on Author Don Massenzio and commented:
    Check out the book, Grumpy Ana and the Grouchy Monsters by D.Wallace Peach, as featured on the Myths of the Mirror blog.

37. You can write for kids, too?! I shoulda known you were a Renaissance Gal.

38. Norah says:

Congratulations, Diana. That’s quite an achievement to write and illustrate yourself. I think your illustrations look amazing. The colours are vibrant and the content interesting. They also have an element of fun that would engage children. The story’s message is quite an important one for children, us all, to learn. I’m pleased you wrote and published this book for fun. It shows.

39. Congratulations! Your book looks wonderful and the illustrations are vibrant. It sounds like you were self publishing your book, yes? I have not heard of CreateSpace. You are right, once we delve into the illustration world, we learn that it has a lot of challenges with the uploads, etc. YOU DID IT!