World-building: Settings for all Genres – Guest Post by, Diana Peach…

I had the great pleasure of guest-posting with Chris, The Story Reading Ape on the writerly topic of world-building – something I can talk about until I’m plumb out of breath. ๐Ÿ™‚ Hop over if you’re interested. Happy Weekend!

Chris The Story Reading Ape's Blog

As a fantasy/science-fiction writer, Iโ€™ve stacked up a bit of experience with world-building that Iโ€™ve wanted to share, and The Story-Reading Apeโ€™s blog is the perfect venue.

Now donโ€™t run away if you donโ€™t write speculative fiction. Clearly, world-building is a key part of bringing fantasy and science-fiction stories to life, but it plays a role in all fiction, and in some non-fiction as well.

Setting as Character

Most of us probably agree that the physical places within our stories need to feel authentic. But if we create them as mere backdrops to the action, weโ€™re missing an opportunity to enrich our readersโ€™ experiences. In great fiction, setting plays a role in the story. Itโ€™s changeable, a help, a hindrance, a metaphor, a mood, possibly even a character in the drama.

Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson is a proponent of the idea of setting-as-character and builds a โ€œcharacter profileโ€ of theโ€ฆ

View original post 622 more words

53 thoughts on “World-building: Settings for all Genres – Guest Post by, Diana Peach…

1. arsenios says:

Ha ha ha. I used this construct of the setting as a character in my berth and was so happy I had learned about this before writing volume reviews.

2. bpsenapati says:

Great post! Setting is important part of every book and your post will help writers to make their books better. Thanks for your post.

3. reocochran says:

I used this concept of the setting as a character in my post and was so glad I had learned about this before writing book reviews. It helped me to understand the differences in settings, too.
    Thank you for this useful post, Diana. As always, warm wishes and regards on your Rose Shield book series and your awesome BIP.

4. Excellent post, Diana! The setting can be a powerful tool in establishing mood or purpose. I think how the setting affects the characters enriches the story (and how the cat who just sat on my lap affects my typing).

5. Brilliant post, Diana, thank you for sharing your expertise ๐Ÿ™‚ .

A fantastic feature, Diana! ๐Ÿ˜€

7. Whoa. World-building with Diana. I can’t wait to read this. And by the looks of it, I’m going to be bookmarking it.

8. You’re the perfect person to write this post, Diana.

9. Thank you for providing a glimpse into your writing world Diana. Excellent. ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒผ

10. Your world-building skills are unparalleled, Diana. Hugs on the wing!

11. I’ll be right over. I need to refill my coffee.

12. Cloud Walker says:

Master stroke!๐ŸŒฟ

13. Brilliant and testing composingโ€ฆ an awesome and charming read, Diana. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a dazzling end of the week!

This post was aces my friend. ๐Ÿ™‚ x

15. noelleg44 says:

Diana, you are one of the best world builders I know!

Excellent! Setting the stage, or should I say writing the setting, is key. E.B. White understood that when he wrote Charlotte’s Web. You do, too.

17. hsampson says:

A must read Diana! Thank you very much indeed!

18. Wonderful and challenging writing… a great and enjoyable read, Diana. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a lovely weekend!

19. Beautifully written as always.

20. PoetSpeak says:

Your comment about setting is so true. Setting can become almost a character in itself!

• Absolutely. In London’s Call of the Wild, the antagonist is the weather. That’s the extreme, but setting can certain certainly play a big part in the narrative. Thanks for stopping by to check out the post. Happy Friday!