Murder at the Bijou by Teagan Geneviene

If anyone following this blog doesn’t know Teagan, she’s a cheerful person with magical touch at writing. She just launched a new book and is stopping by the Mirror on her tour! Congrats Teagan.

***

Announcing the Launch of
Murder at the Bijou — Three Ingredients I

Introducing the second “three things” serial, in novel form Murder at the Bijou — Three Ingredients I.

Bijou front only 2

Yes, that’s the cover. (I love making covers!) I kept it similar to the one for the first serial, The Three Things Serial Story, but with different 1920s photos.

For those of you who are not familiar with my blog serials…

Ages ago I developed a writing exercise. I asked friends to give me three completely random things. Then I would write until I had mentioned all the things. I brought that exercise to my blog (Teagan’s Books), but I had the readers send me their things. I let the random things drive every detail of a serial story, setting, plot, and characters. That resulted in The Three Things Serial Story, which gave birth to this culinary mystery. However, this time the “things” are food related — or ingredients.

About the Book

As with the first serial, Murder at the Bijou — Three Ingredients I is a spontaneously written, pantser story. I wrote by the seat of my pants and let the “ingredients” readers sent each week drive a new serial story. This is the “bookized” version of that serial.

This time the Jazz Age setting is Savannah, Georgia where our flapper, Pip, is “sentenced” to live with her grandmother and learn to cook. Pip gets caught up in a layered mystery that includes bootleggers, G-men, and the varied challenges of being a young woman in changing times. She meets new friends, including some animal characters.

If you have not read The Three Things Serial Story, be warned. This adventure contains a bit of a spoiler, but does not go into detail about it.

Murder at the Bijou — Three Ingredients I is available through and Amazon and Create Space. If you don’t have a Kindle, Amazon also offers a free app that will let you read Kindle books on your computer or other device. The purchase links are below. But first, here’s a snippet.

Blue Lucille Ball Stage Door Trailer

In my imagination, a young Lucille Ball would play Pip.

Excerpt

Rutabaga Limbo

Either I woke up feeling horribly nauseated, or the queasiness woke me. I’m not sure which. I opened my eyes to complete darkness. There was no light, no sound. The way my stomach tossed reminded me of a small boat on the ocean. It was as if I sailed in a lightless limbo.

Oh… that was a bad train of thought to have with an unsettled belly.

Think of something else! Anything else, I told myself.

I stood unsteadily. The sound of a cricket came to me. Good. The utter silence had been very disturbing. I became aware of the cool moist earth beneath my palms.

Where the Sam Hill was I?

I sat back on my heels, focusing all my senses. My eyes might as well have been closed — it was that dark. Bare ground was beneath me. The air had a musty odor. A sickly sweet scent clung to my bobbed hair.

The cricket’s chirping was the only sound. Still sitting, I turned. My eyes widened and strained, trying to see in that heavy darkness. When I looked up I was rewarded with the sight of a thin line of pink light.

The faint glow allowed me to see vague outlines a few feet away. I stumbled over something and stooped down to let my hands figure out what it was. I felt a burlap bag and round lumps. Rutabagas? I felt around and found another bag. That one felt like potatoes. I moved closer to the wall and a tall shape. Yes, a ladder, my questing hands confirmed for my still foggy brain.

Gazing up at the line of pinkish light I realized I was in a root cellar.

But how did I get there?

***

Kindle

Amazon Japan:
Kindle

Author Bio

Visual for Teagan_2017 Chris

Image by Chris Graham

Teagan Ríordáin Geneviene, a southerner by birth, was “enchanted” by the desert southwest of the USA when she moved there. Now a resident of a major east coast city, she longs to return to those enchanting lands.

Teagan had always devoured fantasy novels of every type. Then one day there was no new book readily at hand for reading — so she decided to write one. And she hasn’t stopped writing since.

Her work is colored by her experiences in both the southern states and the southwest. Teagan most often writes in the fantasy genre, but she also writes 1920s stories and Steampunk. Her blog “Teagan’s Books” contains serial stories written according to “things” from viewers.

You can also visit me at:

Amazon Author Page
Twitter
Facebook
Pinterest
YouTube
LinkedIn

103 thoughts on “Murder at the Bijou by Teagan Geneviene

1. reocochran says:

This was one of the posts this week I usually have tried to catch up on, Diana.
    Hello again to Teagan! Congratulations on this fascinating choice of taking three random items or elements to tell a story, with mysterious happenings.
    I do wonder how the character Pip ended up in the root cellar!? 😊

2. Sounds like a great read (well, anything about rutabaga has to be good 😀 ) Good luck, Teagan!

3. Aquileana says:

Best of luck with the new release Teagan… Beautiful feature, Diana… Sending love to both of you! ⭐

4. So lovely to see such amazing support for Teagan’s newest release. Thanks for sharing, Diana. And best wishes for continues success, Teagan!
    Cheers to you both! 🙂

5. noelleg44 says:

Looking forward to reading this, Teagan. You know I love a mystery with food!

6. Wonderful snippet! I love southern literature and the jazz age. Great cover also, congrats to Teagan.

7. C.E.Robinson says:

Diana, nice to see Teagan’s book launch here. I’m reading the book & it’s a culinary treat. Happy week! 🌷Christine

8. Just added this one to my kindle, Teagan! Shared Diana’s post on Twitter & FB and from Amazon book page as well. Looking forward to another fun read from you! 🙂 xo

9. Hello Teagan, so lovely to see you over here at Diana’s wonderful blog. Hope the book tour is going really well.

10. amreade says:

What an incredible idea for a writing prompt! I’m so impressed that Teagan can cobble together something so compelling out of other people’s random things! Thanks for sharing, Diana!

11. Nice to meet you Teagan. Fascinating book covers and clever way to write. I may steal it for my students.

12. It’s always great to hear about a good book. Thank you for sharing.

13. A wonderful interview Diana. Teagan inspires and amazes me with her creativity. Maybe she’ll do a muse post! 🙂

14. Dear Diana, Thank you so very much for hosting my launch. I was delighted that you wanted to space out the posts. Your timing was perfect. I appreciate the wonderful introduction too. I’ve been sharing this everywhere. You are pos-i-lutely the cat’s pajamas!

15. devereaux frazier says:

Reblogged this on Creative Writing Reblogged.

16. It’s great to learn more about Teagan. Congratulations on her release!

17. Thank you Diane, I am way behind in my reading but this looks like a must. Congrats to you Teagan! 🙂

18. Kev says:

It’s really great to see Teagan making the rounds, Diana. Best of luck with it all, Teagan!

19. Very interesting and inspiring post. Great ideas, so creative. An excellent share.

Have my copy and hoping to get to it soon!

21. It’s wonderful to find out more about Teagan! Thanks for sharing, D 🙂

22. michnavs says:

Thanks for sharing anothet brillieant writer…😊

23. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    D. Wallace Peach’s great review of “Murder at the Bijou” by Teagan Geneviene

24. That was amazing, I’m definitely intrigued. Great excerpt!

25. Joanne Sisco says:

Congrats Teagan. It was a very fun read 🙂

26. Good morning, Diana and Congrats to Teagan. 🎉

27. Dan Antion says:

Great book! Thanks for sharing.