My Muse (Almost Iowa)

Greg from Almost Iowa took up my challenge to write about his muse. The post took an unexpected turn… very funny. Here goes:

***

My muse arrived late.

Our appointment was for 7:00 a.m. sharp but she didn’t stagger in until well after noon and then she flopped on the couch and moaned, “I need chocolate chip ice cream.”

That was the last thing I wanted to hear.

Three weeks ago, I banished a pail of chocolate chip ice cream to the freezer in the garage. Admittedly, it was a cruel thing to do to something that I loved so much but it was not really me who did it, rather it was my diet.

Now the bucket was calling my name and apparently its plaintive cries had captured my muse.

“Absolutely not,” I told her, “I am sticking to my diet.”

She wailed and shook uncontrollably.

“It is only ice cream,” I told her.

“Noooo,” she cried, “it is not.  You are siding with HIM.”

“Him?”

“Yes, Discipline. He was my muse,” her lipped quivered as she tried to continue, “but we broke up.”

“A muse needs a muse?”

She struggled to speak through her tears.

“Tell me more,” I told her, “because I am writing about you.”

(Head over and see what happened: My Muse)

76 thoughts on “My Muse (Almost Iowa)

1. Joanne Sisco says:

Funny! Clearly the Muse was working so I’m guessing chocolate chip ice cream was applied generously 🙂

2. devereaux frazier says:

Reblogged this on Creative Writing Reblogged.

3. mycountryepoque says:

Hi Diana, well my own muse loves ice-cream. It was a fun read. Thank you for this. Happy Weekend!

4. […] muse after finding that hers had recently outsourced the job to a merciless mercenary for hire/part-time healthy life style disciplinarian. But upon accepting the challenge, I found my muse somewhat difficult to track […]

5. Aquileana says:

Haha… Love it… I guess that Muse will have to look for another person to shed lights on…. But, you never know, people might change, to become totally different, and then back to the right track (or not!).
    We all have seen how many bloggers seem to lose their initial motivation, it happens to all of us to a certain extent. But remaining faithful to ourselves (and our initial intellectual interests, and our Muses) is something valuable I´d say. Love & best wishes, dear Diana 😀

6. Vashti Q says:

Hi Diana & Greg! Cute and funny post! I think my muse suffers from ‘Multiple Personality Disorder’. I may have to write about her/them––her.

7. An ice-cream guzzling muse, that is a good one, Diana. My characters are three and eight so this one might suite me too.

8. mistermuse says:

Yes, a muse does need a muse – especially when I’m not a-mused. 😦

9. Oh I can relate. I’m off to see who wins this cerebral challenge!

10. Greg has a great blog. Thanks for sharing this bit of fun, Diana. Hugs.

11. This muse sounds and looks like Conan the Barbarian. Now I know what happened o him after the last adventure. Good post, Diana. 😀 — Suzanne

What a brilliant post! Look what you’ve inspired. And go figure your muses used to work together! Lol. 🙂 x

This is hilarious, creative, and fabulous!

14. I love this…I could definitely empathize, when that muse wants she/he must have or it’s all off ! 🙂

15. KathrinS says:

This is very funny, loved it. My own muse loves chocolate cake, candy and mars bars!!

Kathrin — http://mycupofenglishtea.wordpress.com

16. Mae Clair says:

LOL! That was a heck of a lot of fun. I left a comment over there. I think you two could write a saga on this 🙂

17. Very entertaining! Great share, Diana and Almost Iowa.

18. An absolute hoot Diana. Thanks for the laugh !!! 🙂 x

Don’t think I could hold out on chocolate chip ice cream. Enjoyed this!

20. This was great! Thanks for sharing, Diana.

21. Thanks for sharing this Diana, great story.

22. Hilarious! Shared original post on Twitter & FB… 😀

23. balroop2013 says:

Thanks for a wonderful share this morning. Diana, you are indeed an inspiration! 🙂 And how do you always manage to dig out such diamonds? 🙂

24. OwnShadow says:

This experience is familiar to most of us. It reminds me of a more disciplined writer who once said: “I only write when I’m inspired, and I see to it that I’m inspired at 7 o’clock each morning.”

25. Curious and clever conundrums…. 🙂

26. Almost Iowa says:

Hey, thanks for being my muse on this one. 🙂

27. Love this! So much fun to see how other people deal with their muses 😀

28. paulandruss says:

Very witty and amusing.
    My favourite bit…
    “and he provided the discipline.”
    “I don’t recall ever seeing him,” I said.
    She shot me a scathing glance. “No kidding.”
    And lovely illustration too