To Butterflies

image: Pixabay

My brother’s death-day is today, so the Independence Day holiday is always a little skewed for our family. After he was killed, I started seeing Monarch butterflies everywhere. This poem is for him.

To Butterflies

The harsh rend of my regrets

torn into paper shards

flutter into your scooped out hole

where heated scents of pine linger

on the cusp of summer’s silhouette

edging the cemetery’s newest stone.

I lay beneath the blue blossoms

white roots dangling like lace

over your tattered wishes.

I would bury my yearning

in the dark and fecund loam

soak it with my tears.

Death holds us lightly

life persisting with unfettered intensity

in spite of mourning

your Forget Me Nots flourish

blue petals transformed though we both will stray

to butterflies

take wing and soar.

I wish all my American friends a wonderful July 4th celebration. Wherever you are in the world, enjoy your families and friends and hold them tight. ❤

175 thoughts on “To Butterflies

1. janeybgood says:

This is really beautiful ❤️

2. I love the picture and the words are great. I would do same if I had lost a brother, I would always be writing about him.

3. Grace says:

So sorry for your loss. Very beautiful poem. 😍😍😍😍

4. Beautiful, I know loss, my simphathy.💐

5. What a truly beautiful and heartfelt poem, thank you for sharing this memory with us ❤

• Thanks so much for the visit. I had another day engulfed in butterflies. 🙂 I haven’t seen any new posts on your site – (I do stop by to visit). I hope life is just too fun to sit in front of a screen! ❤

6. Erik says:

Beautiful word pictures, Diana. A lovely flower blooming from hard soil.

7. Such a beautiful poem and nice tribute to your brother. I’m so sorry he wasn’t with you longer.

8. clintnixwood says:

A nice coincidence: I was walking in the street on this day, and saw a beautiful pale-yellow butterfly and snapped a picture. Of course, species have slightly different features in Ukraine from what I am used to, so I was quite taken by the “unusual” beauty.

9. This was really beautiful 🙂

10. Christy B says:

Diana, this is a beautiful tribute to your brother. I’ll think of the writing the next time I see a butterfly xx

• Thanks for the lovely comment. ❤ I was on the beach that day and saw dozens of monarchs. A peaceful day.
      BTW, this reply is late because I just found your comment in spam – 2 for you this week. Sorry. Hugs.

11. Srijana says:

Sorry for your loss,beautifully written

12. A gorgeous poem with rich imagery…what a beautiful tribute. ❤ And I love the thought of butterflies surrounding you, appearing to you. It seems a mix of Mother Nature and Magic.

13. […] via To Butterflies — Myths of the Mirror […]

14. Beautiful Diane. Butterflies are my symbol too. It’s very comforting 🍃🙏🏻

• Thank you, Karen, and that’s wonderful. They really are nature’s flying flowers and what beautiful gifts when they come to comfort. I went to the beach that day and was greeted by butterflies. Thanks so much for stopping by to read. ❤

15. What a beautiful way to honor your brother!

16. What a lovely tribute to your brother, Diana. And what better use of art than to turn pain into beauty?

17. K'lee L. says:

This is extraordinary, Diana. Thank you for sharing this difficult loss with us all.

• Thanks for stopping by to read, K’lee. This happened a long time ago, but it bubbles up now and then – especially on anniversaries and holidays. I’m so glad you enjoyed the poem and hope you had a wonderful 4th celebration. Keep smiling, my friend. 😀

• K'lee L. says:

It reminds me of the loss of my brother, who died at the age of eighteen. He and I were very close. I miss him to this day and yes, the loss comes up, but so does the happier memories of his time on this earth. Your gift with words will always keep him alive is the feeling I get from your poem.

18. I understand, Diana. My dad died on July 4, 1980. I never forget. —- Suzanne

19. C.E.Robinson says:

Diana, beautiful words remembering and honoring your brother. Peaceful thoughts for the 4th of July. 🌺🌷🌸 Christine

• Thanks for the kind wish, Christine. We had a fun Fourth. There’s gnome treasure in our woods and we went on a lengthy treasure hunt with Tornado Boy. He made out like a bandit. I hope your holiday was full of laughter too. 😀

20. A beautiful poem, Diana, to go with a sad memory. May the sight of Monarch butterflies lift your spirit despite your sorrow. Enjoy the holiday with your family. Happy 4th of July!

• Thanks, Julie. The poem is sadder than I feel, most of the time. The loss was 14 years ago and I’ve adjusted. We had Tornado Boy over yesterday and went on a gnome treasure hunt. A fun and busy day. I hope you had a Happy Fourth!