Oregon Moss

Frontyard2.dianapeach.jpg

The moss in the Oregon rainforest is magical.

frontyard6-dianapeach-jpg

I discovered it during my first spring here when it rained 29 days straight.

Frontyard5.dianapeach.jpg

It grows on almost anything and the varieties are astonishing.

Frontyard1.dianapeach.jpg

On my fence, I find elfin gardens and green seascapes.

Frontyard3.dianapeach.jpg

The alders are adorned with brittle beards growing on air and rain.

frontyard8-dianapeach-jpgThe stumps of long-dead forest giants sprout with tufts of feathery growth.

Spring is coming. So is the Moss!

183 thoughts on “Oregon Moss

1. Bernadette says:

Such a wonderful treat to know you because everything, including moss, becomes more magical when seen through your eyes.

2. Oh these are just so magical. Such beautiful photographs. I have never seen anything like these before. Thank you for sharing them in Senior Salon.

3. Jumped over from the Senior Salon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gorgeous photos – and I especially enjoyed each of your comments. I had a similar “fairy garden” feeling see all the Spanish Moss in Charleston, South Carolina. Magical.

But 29 straight days of rain? Where are you keeping your arc?
    xx,
    mgh
    (Madelyn Griffith-Haynie – ADDandSoMuchMORE dot com)
    ADD Coach Training Field founder; ADD Coaching co-founder
    “It takes a village to educate a world!”

4. navvirk says:

They are damn beautiful

5. K'lee L. says:

These are beautiful! It almost seems like another planet.

6. OMG how beautiful! It’s absolutely enchanting!

7. I love the moss and your photos, Diana. No wonder you write fantasy novels. πŸ™‚

8. Beautiful photos, you captured the freshness of the moss incredibly! Thanks for sharing!

9. reocochran says:

Everyone loved this beautiful moss and lichen feast of “earthly” heaven!

• Isn’t it unusual? Moss the upside of all the rain, Robin. Right now it’s all covered in snow. I’ll have to see what Mother Nature dishes up this spring. Have a great week, my friend. πŸ™‚

10. thefandomandme says:

These are stunning photos (such good quality)!

11. Sacha Black says:

Have you edited those photos in any way? Tell me that it’s not natural, cause if it is MAN do you live in a wonderland. What absolutely stunningly beautiful plants. I recall some plant photos from your garden once before. You’re so lucky ❀

12. Joanne Sisco says:

Oh my – you do have pretty, magical moss!!

• It is really beautiful, Joanne. I’m going to have to go moss hunting soon. It just needs to warm up a touch more. Hope you’re having a relaxing Sunday. Thanks for the visit! ❀

• No chiggars in the moss there? The Charleston natives warn everyone not to touch the moss – and tell stories of campers who filled their pillow cases with the stuff and woke up covered in bites. And MAN do they itch, because they supposedly burrow. Whatever, painting them with clear nailpolish stops the itching – even steriod cream doesn’t work.
        xx,
        mgh

• Goodness. I don’t think we have chiggars. Yikes. I can’t imagine filling my pillow case with moss anyway. Nailpolish? That’s a good trick. πŸ™‚ We have lots of nettles and the way to get rid of the sting is to rub crushed fern frond on the area. It works amazingly well!

• Good to know – although I’m not such an outdoor girl that I’d be likely to run into a nettle.

Remember, the pillowcase stuffers were campers – so I guess it just looked soft and cushy when they did it. Or else it was an urban legend they use down south to keep strangers from touching the moss. My bites were on my ankles – so apparently chiggers don’t stay in the moss dripping beautifully from the trees in any case.
            xx,
            mgh

13. These are stunning. ❀ You could easily use these at a setting for a fantasy… Just saying. Beautiful photography, BTW.

14. Just beautiful, Diana. πŸ™‚ — Suzanne

15. adeleulnais says:

oh wow, beautiful. x

16. Jools says:

Wow… amazing pictures!

17. Ali Isaac says:

I love moss! We get a lot of it over here, but its usually 50 shades of green! πŸ˜‚ Yours is the most beautiful variety of soft shades, though… it’s really beautiful. I never knew it came in other colours!

• Another Irish blogger mentioned the same… Irish Green! Some of these are lichens, to be honest, but I lump them all together. The variety is astonishing. The upside to all this rain πŸ™‚ Have a great weekend!

18. inesephoto says:

Thank you for this beautiful ode to life, Diana πŸ™‚
    Your photographs are amazing, I enjoyed variety of the mosses and lichens most of which are unfamiliar to me. Such a gorgeous fairy forest.