The Terrible Night Before Christmas

This tale started circulating again and I thought I might as well repost. Tis the season, after all. A Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!

Myths of the Mirror

787

This story won a Kellan Publishing challenge in Dec. 2014. It had to fall between 1000-1500 words, and use theย following words/phrases:ย Santa Claus, Popcorn, Photo Album, Black Cat, Train, Slide, Police, Sled, Typewriter, Horn, Alarm, Church, Glue, Bow, Fire, Dragon.

The Terrible Night before Christmas

The whole escapade started with the black cat. Santa leaned forward in his rickety office chair, puffing on his stumpy pipe and wreathing his head in smoke. He pecked with two chubby fingers at his typewriter, finishing a last letter to a second-grader in the Bronx. The kid was bound for disappointment this year, the result of a spectacular imagination and a dose of new-fangled animation that left make-believe characters appearing plausible. A challenge for the elves who prided themselves on unabashed creativity.

Dear Chuck,

I hope you enjoy the train set, hand-carved by a master elf in my workshop. I realize you requested a liveโ€ฆ

View original post 1,386 more words

32 thoughts on “The Terrible Night Before Christmas

1. inesephoto says:

Oh thank you for the repost, I haven’t read the story ๐Ÿ™‚ Hope you had a wonderful Christma, and your name was on the right list ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

2. zanki says:

beautiful & you have a fun festive season Diana!

3. What fun! Great story, D! I imagine you had a great time coming up with it. So, how did Santa get revenge on the elves?? ๐Ÿ˜€ Have a great weekend!

• That’s next years tale, Julie… maybe. I’ll have to come up with a new one. Hope you’re staying warm and ready for the holidays ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks for visiting โ˜ƒ๏ธ โ›„๏ธ โ„๏ธโ˜ƒ๏ธ โ›„๏ธ โ„๏ธ

4. Merry Christmas Diana. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Micki Peluso says:

Great post. I love Christmas stories. I reprint mine each year too. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Anonymous says:

Great post. I love Christmas stories. I reprint mine each year too. ๐Ÿ™‚

I loved this story Diana! You did a magnificent job of incorporating the given words into such a great spin on the darker side of Santa’s illegal entries, LOL. ๐Ÿ™‚

8. balroop2013 says:

Wow! What a wonderful tale! How dare they interrogate Santa… I marvel at your imaginative skills Diana!! Thanks for sharing it…sure it is an award winning story. ๐Ÿ™‚ Loved it.

9. Nothing like some Santa humor to make the yuletide gay…laughed and laughed loved it! MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR! ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Very nice. Clever little pranksters.

11. I hadn’t seen this before. What a story. Thanks for sharing.

12. Heartafire says: