Cracked Ice #writephoto

cracked-ice

Flight of Faith

When I was a child, I could fly
you and I hopped in dirt-road afternoons
faithful
and the dust-wind flung us over seas of wheat
scuffed shoes skimming the feathered awns
we whipped around the corners of the barn
in a home-sewn world of farm-hewn hands
our secret futures soared

In the veins of my hands
the blue brooks of time stream by
Somewhere on the way, I unlearned how to fly
and trod worn paths through autumn’s lea
snapped night’s brittle ice
shards of fractured faith
glinting in my wake

Today’s morning purls in plumrose
cast on a withering season’s stark debris
spangled with winter’s gilded rime
a new path of violet ice wends to the horizon
fragile, fissured, a wish yet unbroken
my secret future soars
faithful
and I wonder if I might fly
one last time

This attempt at poetry was in response to Sue Vincent’s weekly photo prompt. Check out other submissions on The Daily Echo and maybe try the next one! Thank you, Sue. ❤

142 thoughts on “Cracked Ice #writephoto

1. SinDollar says:

Very vivid dream!! I love the way you put this into words. You have a gift for writing beautiful poems and I look forward to reading more in the future. Winter is my favorite season so I can connect to the desire you express through your words. If you have time stop by and leave some feedback http://www.sindollar.com

2. A fantastic response to the prompt, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

3. Eugenia says:

Lovely poem – one that you want to get lost in and feel it.

4. As Wordsworth found – and now you – ‘then and now’ are a potent combination …

5. Your words painted as gorgeous a picture as the image Diana! 🙂

6. Tina Frisco says:

You might fly forever, Diana! May we never clip our wings – not one of us ❤

7. Antonia says:

Just lovely Diana!

8. Wonderful poem, Diana! Very wistful, and full of memories. Love the pic as well! Thank you for sharing!

9. memadtwo says:

There’s a wonderful wistfulness to this. (K)

10. This is lovely Diana. Hugd hugs.

11. This write-up echoed like my own past to me 🙂

12. I really loved this. I tweeted it @bakeandwrite. Please keep posting your poetry.

13. Reblogged this on L.T. Garvin and commented:
    If you are not familiar with the talented D. Wallace Peach, then I invite you to visit her at Myths of the Mirror.com where you can read some extraordinary writing.

14. Wow. I remember the feeling of flying (of course from dreams) and that feeling / experience has never left me. Still wish I could fly. 🙂 ❤

• That’s exactly what I was going for – those flying dreams! They were so REAL, Tess. And the feeling of the wind never left. I haven’t had one in almost 30 years. Oh, to do that again. 😀 😀 Thanks so much for totally getting it!

15. ellenbest24 says:

A stunning response to the prompt. Beautiful.😇

16. Sue Vincent says:

This is really beautiful, Diana. You really should write poetry more often 🙂

17. Widdershins says:

and then we learn all over again the things we unlearned … lovely piece. 😀

Diana, wow! 😀😀 You are seriously skilled at writing poetry and I’ve read this many times, immersing myself in the language, reading it aloud, the writing is a pure delight. Every line a virtuosity in itself but this is one example:
    ‘and trod worn paths through autumn’s lea
    snapped night’s brittle ice
    shards of fractured faith
    glinting in my wake’

Here’s to flying one last time…the child of innocence within us running free once more.

19. Oh Diana, this poem is just gorgeous. It really speaks to me, as I have been writing lately about relationships I had as a child with various people, family, etc., that I no longer see or hear from. I spent a lot of time growing up on my grandparent’s farm…brought tears to my eyes…I loved it!

Exquisite prose Diana. I savored every word, but what really touched me was “somewhere along the way, I unlearned how to fly”. Stunning! 🙂

21. Bernadette says:

I will never look at my hands the same way again. Very thoughtful

22. This is a gorgeous piece of poetry! The line that really caught me was “Somewhere on the way, I unlearned how to fly…” Did you get any snow today? We got about 3 or 4 inches. 🙂

23. Maverick ~ says:

Beautifully done.

It’s gorgeous, Diana. Very much. 🙂

25. Ocean Bream says:

This was so beautiful and sad at the same time. I had to reread it because it played like a little film in my head. I love your word choice, so vivid, I felt transported 🙂

26. Heartafire says:

This is so amazing Diana, I love this. ❤

27. C.E.Robinson says:

Oh my, what the passage of time does to our dreams! Happy, carefree start though! Sad end! Nicely done. You can write poetry! 💛 Christine

28. Reblogged this on Art by Rob Goldstein and commented:
    Poetry from Myths of the Mirror.

29. Beautifully written. Like listening to music.

30. Val Boyko says:

Love the imagery and the rolling words in my mouth Diana 💛

31. quotesandmore (Chitra) says:

its so beautiful… your words are alive, nothing is left to imagination

32. Absolutely wonderful scene created with your beautiful poetry.

33. I love the feeling I got reading your poem, like I was a child again.

34. This. ❤
    The flow of time, "reality", growing up… And the imagery is gorgeous. I LOVE this one.

35. Wow, and this is only an attempt at poetry? Diana, you can write poetry! 🙂 I love, “…a new path of violet ice…” Well, done.

36. That’s beautiful Diana, I could see myself running as a child.

37. This was great. The pain of regret and the hope that one might still be able to fly again. The imagery can carry one away – in flight. 🙂

38. Meg Sorick says:

Beautiful! Nostalgic and so visual, nicely done. 🙂

39. Steph McCoy says:

I love this Diana! So much energy and imagination in the beginning it’s almost magical. Nothing is impossible. Though the end is bittersweet, because with age comes changes, there is still a glimmer of childhood wistfulness embedded deep within us. Well done.

40. So beautiful Diana! Love the images that you create

41. Frank says:

Wonderful imagery.

42. Reblogged this on Richard M. Ankers and commented:
    Diana’s writing is always wonderful. This proves her poetry is never anything less, too.

43. Nicely done, Diana. I love your take on the photo. 💘

44. balroop2013 says:

Wow! This is a perfect flight Diana and I could soar with your words of delight, which possess the potential to inspire. I would love to hang out with you at that splendid horizon of merging hues. 🙂

45. Morgan says:

Gorgeous Creation from the lovely prompt 🙂

46. Purpleanais says:

This is lovely, Diana. Your modesty does you honour, but it’s much more than “an attempt” at poetry 🙂
    Wonderfully nostalgic 💜