The Old Fish with One Wish – a children’s story

pixabay images

pixabay images

This is a bedtime story told by one of my Dragon Soul characters, Morgen, to a small boy named Aidan. You must read it in a dramatic voice (lol) and please feel free to share with little ones.

The Old Fish with One Wish

There once was an old fisherman who lived in old cottage with his old wife, and in the sand outside his front door, he flipped over his old cockleboat. Now, across the cove, lived a young fisherman with his young wife. They owned a grand house with a fine fishing boat moored in the deep water. Every day the old fisherman would row to sea and fish, and complain about the unfairness of life and how he wanted a pretty wife and a grand house and a fine boat.

Then one day the old fisherman caught an old wrinkly fish that he dropped in his leaky bucket. He thought nothing of the ancient fish until the fish raised its slippery head out of the salty water and offered the old fisherman one wish if the man agreed to toss him back to the waves. It was a magic fish, you see, of which there are very few left in all the green seas. Well, that proved a difficult decision, because he wanted three things and the fish would only grant one wish. He wanted a pretty young wife; he wanted a grand house on the bay, and thirdly, a well-rigged fishing boat. The old fish told him to think long about it; the fish wasn’t in any hurry.

Well, the old fisherman thought about it all day. He didn’t want a young wife who wouldn’t want an old fisherman; he didn’t want a grand house if he was too idle to patch the roof, and he didn’t have any use for a hold full of salty fish. So it happened as the sun set, the time came to finish his thinking and make a choice. The old fisherman peered into his leaky bucket at the old wrinkly fish, and said, “See’s as if me life is just fine as it is. You can have me one wish, you old fish!” Then he tossed the fish back in the sea and rowed home.

When he got home, he flipped over his old boat and realized he had just the right boat for an old man to flip. When he opened the door to his old cottage, he saw a warm fire and supper on the hearth, and he thought he owned the coziest home an old man could own. And when his old wife laughed at his tale of the wrinkly fish with one wish, he laughed because he loved the sweetest old wife an old man could love. And he knew then that the fish had granted him each and every wish.”

– Eye of Blind, Dragon Soul Quartet

133 thoughts on “The Old Fish with One Wish – a children’s story

1. mycountryepoque says:

Diana when I was a little girl, I read a book about a fish who granted wishes, but yours is totally different. You took me down memory lane hahaha I love your ideas, I think you are bringing back what could have been there many years ago. You are a genius, in the kids’ world. I feel so happy reading about grandmas and mothers leaving comments how they have read to their children and grandchildren your stories. I am proud of you. Well done!

2. Bernadette says:

Diana, this is a perfect lesson in contentment. I am printing out this story and will read it to myself as a reminder.

3. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    A lovely story to read to a child.

4. Steph McCoy says:

What an awesome story!! I’m gonna have to read this one to my grandson.

5. Tina Frisco says:

What a wonderful story … the perfect story to be read to children during this preholiday season xx

6. Will Edwards says:

Well, that is a lovely story. See what the grandchildren think.. This old soul loves it

7. inesephoto says:

Great lesson from an old wrinkled fish. I am sure he used some magic on that old man 🙂

8. A wonderfully magical story for young to ponder! 🙂

9. Lovely story! So glad I read it 😊😊

10. Hi. Please check your Spam Mail. I have commented on this post.
    I’m Cattie.

11. reocochran says:

This was a marvelous story with such a perfect ending. One you don’t expect nor wish for, since we all want “more than we have,” Diana. I would like this happy ending, someone to appreciate me as I am, like the way I live simply and balance me out, bringing an occasional fish or dinner home. Laughing at such a life!
    My grown children prepare dinner for which they leave me to choose whenever I come, key on my keychain and loving arms and hugs received. So, if necessary, this life is good enough for me to live happily ever after. Thanks for your lovely tale. It spoke volumes about you, dear friend. ❤

12. Reblogged this on Edwina's Episodes and commented:
    A truly magical story from Diana

13. That is charming. I must say, I’ve come to that conclusion myself. No need for the grand house anymore at all. Thanks for sharing this.

14. I love this story! A great lesson for all of us!

15. Such a sweet story, with the perfect ending. Love it, D. Thanks. ❤️

16. I love this, Diana. And it’s more apt for me today than I can ever tell you!

Diana, this is such a sweet touching story. My heart is full of joy and tenderness reading this and like so many children’s stories one that can be enjoyed by all ages. Ever thought of writing children’s books – in your free time!! 😀😀

• Long long long ago in a land far away I thought of writing children’s books, Annika. Maybe some day still, but my to do list in life is pretty long. So many adventures, so little time 🙂 Have a great December, my friend.

18. Sheron says:

Really enjoyed the story…and not just for children.

Very nice, Diana. Do you know how few fairy tales are read to children today? It is sad, because each one has magic of one way or another.

Beautiful story Diana. Subtle lessons for young and old. 🙂

21. Awwwwe. Fabulous. It’s sweet, warms my heart and teaches a lesson without preaching. ❤ ❤ ❤

22. mistermuse says:

This is a very nice twist on a Grimm Brothers fairy tale I read as a kid (titled THE FISHERMAN AND HIS WIFE), in which the fisherman catches a magic fish but lets it go without taking the fish up on its offer to grant a wish. When the fisherman goes home and tells his wife, she berates him and….well, let’s just say the story doesn’t end happily ever after!

23. balroop2013 says:

Nice story Diana…very original! 🙂

24. What a charming little story, Diana. I love that it shows that true happiness can be found in what we already possess, a reminder also to be thankful for what we have. A beautiful lesson. xoxo

25. Frank says:

A nice little tale indeed, though I do wonder what the fish wished for…

26. tpolen says:

What a wonderful story – something everyone should read.

27. Such a Beautiful Story. See, if only we are “Content” with What We Have, we will find everything about our Life Beautiful.
    Grass is always Greener on the Other Side. But better to stay on the Patch of Grass, your feet know about.

28. Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    A wonderful children’s story from Diana Wallace Peach – a tale from one of her Dragon Soul characters and a tale with a moral….

29. A great lesson for a child and for an adult. Well penned. :o)

30. A good reminder and lesson for all of us Diana. Lovely story 🙏🏻💕

31. Such a lovely, delightful story, Diana, with an important message. ❤

32. […] via The Old Fish with One Wish – a children’s story — Myths of the Mirror […]

What a wonderful story, Diana. Perhaps you should do a collection of stories for children. But then the grownups would miss out.

34. What a delightful story! The ending was fairy-tale perfect. xo

35. We dream big, but live small. Lovely story 🙂

36. quotesandmore (Chitra) says:

This fish surprised me with a different ending 😉 loved reading this and will definitely share with my 9 yr old 🙂 Thanks for sharing…

37. confabler says:

Nice story.☺
    I had heard of a wish granting fish story when I was a kid but this one had a completely different ending; satisfaction, a feeling that eludes most of us.
    In the one I had heard the fish grants him his heart’s deepest desire. And the guy keeps changing his wish everyday.
    Sending a goodnight from here. 🌃

• I haven’t heard that fish tale. 🙂 I like happy endings. I’m just waking up over here. Sweet dreams and have a wonderful tomorrow.

• confabler says:

Thank you☺. Of course you haven’t. The one I heard was an abstracted story from ‘Panchtantra’ which is a collection of animal fables written in the vedic times in sanskrit. That style of writing is popular here for kids. You could search the term on wiki. I think you’ll find it interesting. Let me know how you like it.🐠

38. Nice and sage story with a moral, contentment beats envy every day.

39. Oh this is so nice and fresh!

40. Oceans2c7 says:

I love this so much. I sit beside a man in his 80’s at church…he told me once he’s just a 6 foot wrinkle! He also shared with me how his lust for younger women caused him to make a bad decision in life and he has many regrets from marrying a girl too young for him. Your story reminded me of so much! Your so gifted!

41. The V Pub says:

A story within a story. It is wonderful, Diana!

42. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Oh, this is a delightful and educational story!

• Thanks for reading, Khaya. The story seems to go well with this time of year when consumerism is rampant. I like taking a breath and being thankful for the heartfelt things I have. Have a great week, my friend. ❤

43. That’s just made me smile. 🙂

44. iainthekid says:

Lovely tale 🙂

45. overarching says:

Hi everybody, here every one is sharing these kinds of familiarity, thus it’s pleasant to read this webpage, and I used to visit this
    blog all the time.

46. […] blog is very small and I write to set my heart free, and to be recognised so by somebody who writes so beautifully is truly a magnificent honour. After doing some research on the award, I came up with a few […]

47. […] (For last year’s story, go to: The Old Fish with One Wish) […]