The Lover’s Moon

Lover's Moon

In my fantasy worlds, the Lover’s Moon ushers in the ripeness of summer. Fiddleheads unfurl on the mountain paths and the high meadow blooms with fireweed, toadflax, and pearl everlasting. In the villages, the lanes bake and the heat rises in liquid ribbons. It’s a moon of full-bellies,  bare feet and water warm enough for swimming, of golden hay and long lazy days.  On the sea, it’s a time of genial winds, promises of love, and sails billowing with sunshine.

For anyone romantic at heart, the full Lover’s Moon smiles tonight.

Jan Steen Revelry at an Inn - en.wikimedia.org

Jan Steen Revelry at an Inn – en.wikimedia.org

Excerpt from the Lover’s Moon, Eye of Sun
(Percy is going to create a little diversion)

The Crow’s Nest bustled with seamen, yardsmen, and scurrying serving maids. Caron crowded them into a corner, sharing a long table with men from the Gale Breaker and Seabourne. A few crewmen hoisted their tankards in a boisterous greeting. Edin had never patronized such a chaotic and raucous place. Seamen sloshed well beyond their cups, and he couldn’t tell whether they were getting along or apt to throw punches. Caron suggested the mash for supper, and he took the recommendation, barely able to think straight with all the noise.

The food hearty, he ate like a starved man. One of the crewmen sharing the long table leaned toward him. The skinny seaman sported a crooked nose and hair that might have been trimmed by a blind man in a stiff wind. “How’s yer mash? Good ain’t it?”

Edin pushed away his empty plate. “We’ve been living on old bread and watered oats, complements of your governors.”

“It weren’t fish, anyway,” the young man said.

“Percy got fish nigh up his gills,” a flaxen-haired man explained. “Name’s Hywel and that’s me brother, Malven.” He pointed to the beardless version of himself sitting across the table.

“Fish mornin’, noon, and evenin’,” Percy muttered. “Can’t tolerate it no more.”

“Quit cookin’ fish then,” Malven said. “Yer the blame cook.”

“Pull up somethin’ aside fish and I will.”

“Mutton would be good,” the bearded older brother said. “Hook us a good shank of sheep off Ramsey.”

Percy thought that worth a laugh and ordered more ale.

“Don’t mind the fish stew,” Hywel said. “Like it with potatoes. Good when they come in again.”

“Still fish,” Percy muttered.

“Good crab off Ross and Whitnee,” Hywel said. “Crab’s worth the work.”

“Still fish.”

“Crab’s not fish,” Malven said. “It’s crab.”

“It’s a sort of fish,” the skinny cook insisted.

“It don’t got fins, Perce.”

“Neither do a clam, ya idiot.”

“A clam ain’t a fish neither.”

Eyeing Malven, Percy downed his ale. “If it’s from the sea, it’s fish.”

“Lot’s from the sea that ain’t fish,” Hywel said. “Rocks and weed. Sand.”

“We’re talkin’ about fish, not sand!” Percy shouted with a grin.

“Just sayin’ not everything in the sea is fish,” Hywel said.

“If it come from the sea, looks like fish, tastes like fish, is fish.” Percy pushed back his chair, thumping into a bald warrior at the next table who growled and gave him a shove. Percy bolted up and faced the shiny-headed hulk. “Now, that weren’t necessary. We was just talkin’ about what’s fish.”

“And I’ve heard enough,” the man snarled. “Fish have gills. That’s how you know they’re fish.”

Percy’s face turned scarlet. He lifted the edge of the warriors’ table and spilled every tankard the length of it. Before Malven could stop him, he took an off-balance swing at the warrior who popped him in his crooked nose. Percy howled, grabbed a tankard, and smashed it into a bearded warrior’s cheek. The man shoved Percy so hard he flew off his feet, landing on the suppers of the Gale Breaker’s crew.

“He pushed me on ya!” Percy shouted, his arms protecting his face. “Blame warriors, wreckin’ yer supper.” The Gale Breaker’s crew tossed Percy back toward the warriors, but Hywel caught his arm and yanked him out of the path of a right hook that would have lopped off his head. A man from the Gale Breaker spun around and thundered a punch into the bald warrior’s belly and head-butted him in the face, breaking his nose. Another warrior with a puckered scar on his chin picked up a chair and hurled it at the Gale Breaker’s crew. The seamen erupted, climbing over tables and throwing fists at any warrior in range. The proprietor roared from the end of the room, but he was far too late.

(Coming in August!)

84 thoughts on “The Lover’s Moon

1. LaVagabonde says:

An excerpt rich in detail and humor. I really admire your prolific imagination.

2. Fantastic excerpt. Loved: “Pull up somethin’ aside fish and I will.” LOL. I could picture the whole scene.

3. Nurse Kelly says:

That was such an entertaining excerpt! Wow, Diana. And I agree that crabs aren’t fish! LOL!
    Love your thoughts on that romantic moon as well. Send me some toadflax and pearl everlasting seeds when you get a chance, okay? 🙂

4. inesephoto says:

Oh that’s so funny 🙂 I can picture the scene in my mind 🙂

5. Mick Canning says:

That’s a romantic little tale you described, Diana…

6. Great excerpt, Diana! There is definitely something romantic about the moon. Love your moons; I can’t pick a favorite!

7. Your descriptions are always wonderful. You paint such a vivid image of what is going on.

8. balroop2013 says:

Your posts are always so inspiring Diana…loved this one too and the image… Excellent choice! You are so good at dialogue writing too. Thanks for sharing the excerpt, it speaks volumes 🙂

9. I could stare at the moon for hours 🙂 Wonderful writings, Diana, can’t wait to read more. Always love a good fight 🙂

10. Sheron says:

Enjoyed your brawl. The solstice has finally come. I love summer.

11. The moon is inspiring, your writing devine.

Blimey, Diana, I don’t know how you do it but you put me right there in the tavern, amongst the chaos. Just waiting now for the rest of the brawl with food and tankards flying. Great piece of writing which could be used to explain how to show not tell!

• Thanks for reading, Annika. Fight scenes aren’t too hard if you stay in pov because you only have to show a tiny piece of it. My sailors and skimmers (pirates) are the comic relief in these books. Glad you enjoyed it! Happy summer, my friend. 🙂

13. Ali Isaac says:

That was entertaining! Not quite what I expected, after your description of the Lovers Moon. Editing is tough, but I really love that stage of polishing your rough diamond into a gleaming jewel.

14. I really reading enjoyed that, it sounds like a fun book to read.

15. That dialogue reminded me of New England. I felt as if I was sitting in a bar in New London. Well done.

16. Nothing like a good old-fashioned bar brawl! That was a fun read, Diana!

17. babbitman says:

That’s a terrific brawl and a perfect drink-inspired argument to kick it off!
    By the way, did you know that there’s ‘no such thing as fish’? 🙂

Wonderful writing as always. 🙂

19. Sean P Carlin says:

Great excerpt, Diana. (And really good dialogue, too!)

20. Heartafire says:

such a beautifully written tale, D. Captivating as always.

21. I love this, such great imagery!

22. Khaya Ronkainen says:

Sounds like a fascinating story, for a romantic at heart like me. :-). And thanks for the reminder about the June Solstice Full Moon tonight, hope I catch a glimpse of this rare occasion! Happy Summer, Diana. Enjoy your break…

23. Dan Antion says:

It’s so easy to imagine that fight erupting over that argument. Nice work.

24. What a jolly time that used to be. We’ve certainly made huge strides to tame mankind and civilize this fun right out of him.

• I don’t know if I want to participate, Jacqui! But I think there were probably times when a good old brawl was considered rowdy fun (as long as everyone walks away). Percy definitely enjoys it 🙂 Thanks for the visit and for reading! Have a great week.

25. ghostmmnc says:

Great fight scene! and yes, if it comes from the sea, and tastes fishy, it’s fish…and I don’t much like eating fish, and am scared of them, at any rate. 🙂

26. Such beautiful imagery, D. Hats off!

27. “by a blind man in a stiff wind”…love your descriptions, Diana. This is so interesting, never thought of how much men at sea would come to hate fish !! ☺ I was outside last evening, saw that full moon rising…just lovely. Welcome to summer. 🌝

28. Great descriptions, as usual, Diana. That was some brawl. I remember when we used to go barefoot after school was out for the summer. Going barefoot made it officially summer. It was the ultimate in freedom. Now we’re warned against going barefoot. Of course, here in India, we take our shoes off inside certain buildings and offices or in some people’s homes. It’s not the same, though.. 🙂 — Suzanne

29. I was going to say you have such a wonderfully easy style of writing, then I got to the head-butt. Oh, I’m going to say anyway. 🙂

30. The V Pub says:

I so admire your writing, Diana. Your description of the Lover’s moon is palpable – I can hear the crickets in the background, mingling with the breeze of summer. I’m looking forward to the book!