Reflecting on Mother’s Day

Four generations of women on Mother's Day, 30 yrs ago

Four generations of women on Mother’s Day, 33 yrs ago

A reblog from last year, no less relevant today.

For several years, I had the great privilege of serving families in need. As part of my work, I was invited into homes and lives to guide, teach, nurture, and when I could, to gather baskets of memories brimming with new ways of being and believing in the world. At most, I accompanied mothers and children on their journeys for mere slivers of time, and yet in the collection of hours and days, I was witness to great suffering and love, desperation and hope.

Those who travel the helpers’ path are granted gifts. Not gifts wrapped in paper and laced with ribbon that we set on a windowsill and forget with time, but gifts that reside within us, that alter who we are and how we perceive our world.

We live in a time of divisiveness. Our politics shred our world, and unfiltered rhetoric spews like bile into the air, toxic with deception and blame. It is no wonder that we are losing our ability to listen and behold each other with open minds and compassionate hearts.

Struggling mothers and their children live everywhere: in the mountains of China, on the plains of Africa, in the arid lands of Iran, or simply around the corner. Across the globe, mothers touch small foreheads, peer into innocent eyes, and sing their children to sleep.  What would happen to our world if we became still and quiet and listened to those whispered songs?

The enduring gifts of a mother’s love have sustained children, families and communities through the centuries. They are timeless, borderless reminders of our common humanity and dreams of hope.

To mothers everywhere, I wish us a world of peace.

78 thoughts on “Reflecting on Mother’s Day

A beautiful tribute and post Diana. I love that those who are helpers receive gifts. 🙂 Hoping you had a beautiful Mother’s Day. 🙂

2. reocochran says:

Sadly, I didn’t check your Mother’s Day post until Tuesday, dear Diana. I really studied your beautiful, loving 4 generation’s photograph. ❤
    This was a lovely tribute to those who help. I humbly agree and was one who wore a few different "aprons" while I helped, along with receiving invaluable "returns." (Child Advocate, 2 years at a battered women's shelter, Activities Director, 4 years at a nursing home as well as 4,5,6 and 7th grade teacher, final 9 years of teaching the best, warmest moments as a preschool teacher for special needs and typically developing peers.) xo to all women, Mother's or not, who touched lives and changed their own, too.

• You have a history of helping, Robin, so you know what I’m talking about. They are rich warm years 🙂 Thanks so much for the visit and comment and wonderful wish for all helpers. ❤

3. What a lovely post!

4. Love that last line Diane.

5. timkeen40 says:

Excellent post on the true value of mothers around the world.

Tim

6. LaVagabonde says:

A lovely tribute to mothers everywhere. Thanks for reposting this treasure from your archives.

7. A beautiful tribute, indeed!

8. Ali Isaac says:

Beautiful words. 😚

9. Sacha Black says:

Wonderfully put. Happy Mothers Day to you ❤

10. stephie5741 says:

So beautifully written. We do tend to take so much for granted. And what a beautiful family! Happy Mother’s Day!

Stephanie

11. My Bean says:

Peace is always commendable, as mothers is our duty to be examples to our children. Happy mother’s day!

12. Dandelion says:

Beautiful indeed!

13. Yes, you are right, this is just as relevant today as it was last year. And wishing you again another Happy Mother’s (and Grandmother’s) Day! 🙂

14. inesephoto says:

Such a sweet picture! Happy Mother’s Day!

15. Such a beautiful post … And happy mother’s day 😊

16. philipparees says:

A present for you this year Diana https://asitoughttobe.com/2016/05/07/saturday-poetry-series-presents-motherhood-poetry/
    A very happy mother’s day ( ours is long gone)

• Lovely collection. That will keep me busy for a while! My Mother’s Day is still here, Philippa, and I’ve added Grandmother’s Day. I’m exhausted. Ha ha. Have a wonderful weekend.

17. mistermuse says:

Beautifully said. I wish you a wonderful Mother’s Day tomorrow (and every day).

18. Nitin says:

… gifts that reside within us.. lovely post .. full of feelings and emotions.. and to lead a life in helping others, to sacrifice ‘your time’ for others is the greatest sacrifice one can make… many emotions ran through me as i read it… happy mother’s day to you ..

19. Such a lovely post, Diana. I hope you have a beautiful Mother’s Day weekend. Hugs.

20. Carrie Rubin says:

Hear hear. Wonderful piece. Happy Mother’s Day to all.

21. Happy Mother’s Day! You are truly gifted in the soul!

22. Elisabet says:

This is a beautiful inspirational post! Happy Mother’s Day Diana!

23. A wonderful post – and a lovely photo 🙂

24. Beautifully worded 🙂

25. Sorry I’m getting to this post a bit late, Diana. It’s a great post. How wonderful four generations of your family’s women could sit for that picture. I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day. 🙂

26. Ocean Bream says:

This post was simply heart-rending. When I was a small little girl my teacher said to my class, “one day you will be one of the mothers of the future generations, so treat those you love with compassion and care” and your post reminded me of that. Happy mother’s day to you, Diana. I love how much soul you put into your writing.

• Thank you so much for the kind comment. I worry when people are turned into statistics and objects, when the pundits of the world fail to see the faces of children and families. At the same time, there is so much beautiful sentiment and genuine care in the voices of ordinary people. It gives me hope.

• Ocean Bream says:

Too many people are turned into statistics nowadays :(. But there are always people who care, not one or two but thousands and even millions. Sadly the evil ones are the ones in control, and the ones who care are a small voice struggling to be heard.

• I’ve encountered so many warm hearts from all over the world through blogging. It’s actually given me hope for humankind. Money in politics is a huge problem in the US. Until that changes, “the people” need to shout a whole lot louder.

27. So much lovely and heartfelt sentiment in your post, Diana. Thank you for that, and for all the service folks like you have done to make our world a better place. ❤ Van

28. Happy Mother’s Day to you! I am in awe of people who have that “gift” to care for and help others with such grace and empathy. Very nice post.

29. philipparees says:

Lovely post and photograph. Re comments above re women in charge, in the UK the women somehow believe they will only succeed if they ape men, power dress in suits and use high heels to add height, and then become strident. It is pretty unedifying! But I suppose they are battling in a man’s world and feel all that is necessary. It would be better if they dressed in feminine saris ( or national equivalent) and lowered their voices. A softer voice has to command silence. It could not be any worse so this is the opportunity to try something entirely different. But the Campbells are coming, the tartan army and we will see!

30. Dawn D says:

Thank you.
    It is the second time today that I read words about women sustaining children, families and communities. There must be some truth to it 😉

Thank you for the gift of your time and energy in helping families in need. The world would be a better place if we could all remember to do that for each other.

Happy Mother’s Day