Sometimes the Good Guys Win

OLNG

I have high expectations for my fantasy characters. They’re supposed to do the right thing, make sacrifices, stand up to evil against all odds. My plots throw them into situations requiring them to make tough choices when it would be so much easier to look the other way or let someone else bear the burden. Some of my protagonists are reluctant, but they almost always make the right choices.

I posted last summer about Big Energy wanting to run a massive natural gas pipeline through my little town in the middle of nowhere. Why here? Because we are inconsequential peasants, our lives an insignificant sacrifice should something go terribly wrong in the pursuit of billions in profit. About two years ago, I became an activist. I felt an obligation to live up to my characters’ expectations.

OLNG 2

I protested, but my weapons of choice were words. I wrote and wrote and wrote to anyone who would listen and many who wouldn’t. What we do has the power to persuade, to stir emotions, to record the truth in black and white, indelible, transmittable, and harder to ignore.

We weren’t the only community affected, of course, and I was only one of several thousand voices including environmentalists, recreational and commercial fishermen, Native Americans, farmers, land owners, Earth-lovers, and old hippies (myself included).

We were only one village on the snaking pipeline that would cut through hundreds of waterways and end at two massive export terminals on our Pacific shores. Some of those fighting this war had been battling for over ten years. Talk about resolve.

Well, last week we actually WON.

We won for our neighbors and our forests, wildlife, and waterways. Ordinary citizens raised our voices together and we prevailed over the power of money.

It still feels like a fantasy, one where the good guys win.

175 thoughts on “Sometimes the Good Guys Win

1. Makayla says:

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve take note your stuff prior to and you are simply extremely magnificent.
    I really like what you have got right here, really like what you
    are stating and the way during which you assert it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you continue to take
    care of to keep it wise. I can’t wait to learn far more from
    you. This is really a tremendous website.

2. Congratulations on your victory over an evil that needs to be shut down globally. I love it when good triumphs over evil. Great job!

• Thanks, Jack. We were all shocked that we won. Public outrage was a significant factor in shutting it down. The natural gas investors didn’t care, but the politicians saw their careers on the line. We couldn’t have done it without everyone making a stink together 🙂

3. Erik says:

If ever I had a really important case going on and I could only invite one other writer I know to ban with me in persuading the higher-ups that the right thing be done, it would be you, Diana. You have a compelling voice, a way of making the smallest detail seem like the world (and creating worlds out of them, in fact), and a balance between simplicity and depth that can’t help but make corporate curmudgeons cry.

Congratulations!

• Aw. Thanks, Erik. I learned more about natural gas than I care to. I applied my writer’s power of persuasion, but I think it was the fact that it was grounded in research that was most compelling. I don’t know if I made any difference, but I was part of the collection of voices that pulled it off 🙂 I’m convinced that if people can organize, things can happen!

4. Ali Isaac says:

Oh wow! Congratulations! That is wonderful news! You must be in a state of euphoria! I’m so happy for you and your area. Over here, it seems nothing and no one stands in the way of corporate greed…, sorry, I mean ‘progress’.

5. K'lee L. says:

I’m totally grinning from ear to ear right now. Thanks for this gift, Diana.

6. Wow! It’s rare that these stories have a happy ending. I’m impressed and delighted for you!

So inspiring Diana! I am also a justice seeker and found it very encouraging to hear that if enough people speak up and/or write, we can actually be heard. I am so glad your beautiful land will be spared from the evil plot. 🙂

8. Sacha Black says:

Fantastic news. i love this. Love that sometimes, just sometimes when the win means that little bit more, the underdog comes out singing. HIGH FIVE

• Thanks, Sacha. It was a huge win out here in Oregon. I’m so happy to have been a part. We, the average folks, can still make a difference. 🙂

• Erik says:

Yes! You would’ve celebrated no matter what, because it is your home; but the fact that you made the sacrifice of time and energy makes it an even bigger celebration, to know that you played a front-line part in it (and no small one, given that you used your skill with the written word).

9. Awesome Diana! That is a true * happy ending.* Congratulations. I know you must be so relieved. Hugs.

10. SD Gates says:

Yay for the little guys!!!!!!

Diana, that is wonderful news! Yeah!! Time to do a celebratory dance. All the handwork by yourself and others succeeded over the forces of greed and stupidity. I’m so happy for you. What is happening regarding the pipeline for the future? What other solution was found? Here in the UK there is a furore as the electricity company has decided to put ugly pylons across hundreds of miles of the pristine and stunning National Park in the Lake District. They kindly offered to bury one (!!) mile of it and asked the organisation fighting for the area to say which mile should be untouched. Not surprisingly they refused to play the game and become involved in implicitly endorsing the project. The battle continues.

• There will be no pipeline here, Annika. One of the things that helped kill it was the utter lack of need. It was all speculation on the part of the investors. Modern society needs energy and so there are always compromises, and taking the long view is preferable to short-sighted gains. I know nothing about your challenge, but there are almost always alternatives (with varying costs). Hopefully you have a environmental group who is helping to organize an action plan 🙂 Hundreds of us wrote letters and emails to every state and federal influencer, contacted state agencies responsible for endangered species and forest protection, tourism and recreation. We called news outlets to come to protests, wrote for papers, set up email lists and a facebook site. We organized walks along the route so people could see what was at stake, and we marched on the state goverment for rallies. This can all be done if there are enough people to share the burden and keep up the momentum. Good luck to you all in the UK – public outrage is good!