Catching up with Hugh’s Charity Christmas Topper Challenge

100_1024

The Overlord headed home yesterday with his mini John Deere ride-on tractor, fish puzzle, and toddler drum set. Naturally, his favorite finds were a cardboard wrapping-paper tube (his didgeridoo) and a cardboard box (the perfect size for an Overlord Jack-in-the-Box).

I’m in holiday recovery mode. I drifted into dreamland around 6 pm last night and climbed from bed well after dawn. I might dismantle our little tree today, but not before catching up on Hugh’s Charity Christmas Topper Photo Challenge!

100_1025The Overlord was part of the decorating team this year, so prior to the event, I sorted our ornaments into 2 piles: “kid-proof” and “not this year.” We went with a small tree, no garlands, zero tinsel, and minimal lights. Without power, I couldn’t check the strands to see if they worked … When the power finally came on, only the top half of the tree lit up. Oops.

For this year’s tree topper, I risked a porcelain angel after the Overlord was tucked in bed. She survived, though she needs a bit of glue prior to next year.

100_0144Power finally returned on Christmas about 1:30 in the morning. It came with a coverlet of snow – a rare pleasure here in the rain forest and perfect for Christmas morning.

Christmas and New Years are times when my wishes for peace are ever present in my thoughts. Hugh’s Photo Challenge is a lovely way for me to partake in something kind-hearted. Thank you, Hugh, for making it so very easy 🙂

This post is part of Hugh’s Charity Christmas Topper Photo Challenge. Hugh will donate £1 to The Dogs Trust for every Christmas Tree Topper photo, up to a maximum of £250.  The challenge is open until Tuesday, January 5th, 2016, and he will publish a post on Twelfth Night, January 6th, showcasing everybody who participated in the challenge and letting us know how much we all managed to raise.

If you want to participate and help Hugh raise £250 for The Dogs Trust, here’s how:

1. Take a photo of what sits on top of your Christmas tree.
2. Create a new post on your blog entitled “Hugh’s Charity Christmas Tree Topper Challenge.”
3. Add the photo(s) you have taken to the post and tell us a little about what them.
4. Create a pingback to his original post or leave a link to your post in the comments section of his original post so that other participants can view your post.

It’s just one more wonderful way to celebrate this Blogland Community.

46 thoughts on “Catching up with Hugh’s Charity Christmas Topper Challenge

1. Sugar Plum Fairy or angel – this one’s a beauty. Finding just the right topper is such a challenge.
    (Wish I had noticed the challenge before everything was packed away – I will check by next year to see if it’s going on!)
    Kid with tractor – now that’s true wonder. Cool!!!!!

2. I love your angel she looks quite balletic!!

3. inesephoto says:

Such a lovely topper! Wishing you amazing 2016!

4. olganm says:

Gorgeous! I have a soft spot for angels… Have a great 2016, Debby!

Beautiful tree Diana. And how brave to put up a porcelain angel, lol. Wishing you a very Happy New Year. 🙂

What a beautiful angel that adorns your tree, Diana. It looks so precious and as if it should be safely tucked behind a glass cabinet! Your time with your grandson sounds fun although tiring! Lovely to see the magical photo of the snow outside – made me all tingly and so wishing we had some here. Wishing you a calm and peaceful New Year – hopefully with secure power supply!

• Aren’t you in snow country, Annika? Maybe it’s your posts with all the lovely winter traditions 🙂 We’ve had power for a whole 5 days straight. We’re on a roll! A happy, healthy, peaceful new year to you <3.

• Annika Perry says:

Yeah! Glad you’ve got power for a while and long may it last! I enjoy reading about your ‘outback’ life, Diana, generator and all. I’m such a softie and live in the South East of the UK where it’s been unseasonably warm, thirteen degrees centigrade yesterday. I do long for the snow though…although not all the chaos it brings with it. Where I grew up in Yorkshire has been badly flooded but I am glad that my family up there have not been affected. I wish you a very happy and creative 2016, may the magic of writing take you to unknow places.

7. Pretty tree and lovely topper! we have had stacks of snow! Sounds like a lovely holiday Diana!

8. Hi Diana. Thank you so much for participating in my Christmas Tree Topper charity challenge in aid of The Dogs Trust. By participating you have helped us get nearer to our target and also given a homeless dog a meal. Thank you so much.

I hope the Angel can be fixed so she can be put on the Christmas Tree in 2016. The tree looks splendid and I’m so pleased to hear you had a white Christmas and that all the power came back on.

Seasons Greetings to you and the family.
    Hugh

9. Sue Vincent says:

I love your tree!
    Isn’t it wonderful how the wrapping paper and boxes ALWAYS take precedence over their contents for the small ones 🙂

10. reocochran says:

Diana, your overlord sounds like such a lively and fun boy! 🙂 I am glad you chose to keep your collectible ornaments away from the curious and busy grandson. Your gifts and his choices of entertainment sound like they differ a bit.
    I like your beautiful angel, she looks like a skater and dancer, too. ♡
    Hope you have a wonderful new year! ~Robin

11. Ocean Bream says:

Wonderful. The angel, and the allusions to the Overlord antics 🙂 Wishing you much more peace and happiness in the year to come.

12. Sounds like you had a great, albeit busy Christmas. Those toddlers sure have energy! When my kids were that age, I always said if someone could figure out how to harness it, we’d never have an energy crisis again!

13. Judy Martin says:

I love your angel, she is very pretty. It looks beautiful where you are with the light dusting of snow, very Christmassy indeed. Glad you managed to get a bit of power in time for the big day! Hope you have a quiet few days now to recuperate from the overlord’s visit! 🙂

14. Jed Jurchenko says:

Gorgeous tree, and Christmas scenery. I miss the snow. Although it’s a little colder than usual here in San Diego, our family will still be headed down to the beach today–I’m excited, but would welcome a few days of glorious snow.

What a great looking tree-topper, and a very worthy cause too!

15. Beautiful…both the angel and the ride-on -tractor. ☺☺☺

16. Sounds like a good Christmas for all. That’s a beautiful angel. The grandson got some great gifts. I love the John Deere ride-on tractor. When I took driver training in high school a lot of the boys got A’s because they already knew how to drive tractors. Happy Holidays and a great New Year 2016 to you and yours, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

• Thanks, Suzanne. The Overlord doesn’t quite get the idea of steering. His tractor is a little thing that he has to push with his feet. Very safe! Have a wonderful, healthy, happy new year, Suzanne. ❤