Instructions for a Bad Day

koyczan

It’s one of those days when the blogging brain is still in bed. The Overlord stayed over last night (without his mom and dad), and it’s like sleeping with a bandaid, his little body stuck to me all night.

So, today my sleepy head offers up a spoken word poem by Shane Koyczan entitled Instructions for a Bad Day. Not that I’m having a bad day at all – we’re going to make “dirt soup” in the garden and feed the ducks from the fish deck. Yet all humans have those days at some point, don’t we? And there are times when the world weighs a little heavy on the heart.

This is one of those inspiring treasures, perfect for any day.  I recommend a listen. It’s worth every second.

Credit: A compilation of worldwide YouTube content, the crowd-sourced documentary “Life in a Day” by Kevin Macdonald, and local footage by Jon Goodgion. Audio is the spoken word poem “Instructions For a Bad Day” by Shane Koyczan.

76 thoughts on “Instructions for a Bad Day

1. Jibby says:

I’m a huge fan of Shane Koyczan! I went to see him when he came to Philly last month. I even took my husband along and made a new fan out of him. 🙂

2. Erik says:

I love your bandaid analogy. 🙂

And how fantastic that, as a strong writer, you know when to take the pressure off of yourself to just “be,” rather than to force “doing,” while at the same time passing on the valuable writing work of others. The combination takes wisdom, thoughtfulness and humility all at once.

3. inesephoto says:

Thank you for sharing that! I really needed such a message.

4. joey says:

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

5. Cat says:

I loved this video, Diana, cheers!

6. […] Myths of the Mirror This is a great post with a wonderful message. That video was just what I needed to see this week. Brilliant. […]

7. Thanks Diana! An amazing video! I love what is has to say and what comes from it! It reminds us that today is just one day and passes! I love it

8. joannesisco says:

I absolutely love that part “Be persistent. Be the weed that grows in the crack in the cement …beautiful, because it doesn’t know it’s not supposed to grow there”.

I strive to be a weed.

9. Gloria says:

My bad day suddenly doesn’t seem so bad now!

10. I wish I had seen this yesterday, which was a really BAD day for me! I absolutely loved this video! I just wish the music wasn’t so loud, I’m kind of deaf in one ear and had trouble hearing the narration. But otherwise, what a fantastic video, thank you Diana! (Today was much better. 🙂 )

Wow Diana, as if the quote alone was inspiring, this video is incredible. I’m sharing everywhere, and probably will listen a few more times. Thank you. ❤

12. K'lee L. says:

What a phenomenal and yes, simple gift all rolled into one! Thank you, Diana for sharing this message… Hope you’re having a good day!

13. Thanks for sharing this. Keep listening to it over and over. Amazing poem x

14. Dawn D says:

Reblogged this on Dawn's Nights and commented:
    This is just too beautiful, too meaningful for me, today, not to share it with my friends.
    So let’s be calm, loosen our grip, and let go…
    Peace!

15. Glad to hear you’re all doing well after the flood ordeal, Diana. 🙂 — Suzanne

16. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    This is beautiful and truly worth listening to.

17. The video is fantastic. ❤ So glad you shared.

18. Oh the love hate relationship of a grandchild in your bed. Hope the flooding is better

19. I’ve begun to think it’s OK to NOT do what I had planned. Do something else and immerse myself in it. Enjoy. Get back to the Other when i can.

20. But hate is soooo fun to feed!

21. That’s such a beautiful piece and a perfect reminder. Thanks for sharing, Diana.❤️ Unclenching…all the time. ☺

22. cindy knoke says:

Wonderful! Thanks for posting.

23. Thanks D… this is such a good reminder.

24. Carrie Rubin says:

I love that opening quote. So spot on.

Have fun making dirt soup. I remember those days! And very fondly too. 🙂

25. Susanne says:

“Everyone knows pain. We were not meant to carry it forever…let go.” Boy, that is wonderful stuff. Thanks for posting this powerful message.

26. Nurse Kelly says:

So uplifting, Diana – thank you! Hope you have a wonderful day with The Overlord – too cute! 🙂

Diana, your post today caught me unawares and touched me to the core. Thank you for sharing. Enjoy the day with your little one.

28. Mira Prabhu says:

Reblogged this on mira prabhu and commented:
    Instructions for a bad day!
    Thank you D. Wallace Peach. I had a strange day myself!

29. Thanks so much for this Diana, it has come at the perfect time for me today as I am not feeling very well mentally.This video and poem is just what I needed to see 🙂

30. The V-Pub says:

“Say how you feel without fear of guilt.” Such a simple,yet profound concept. I feel as though I present a burden if I say that I’m not feeling well, and therefore resist from saying it. It’s a great video, and inspiring. Thank you for sharing it.