Creative Inspiration on Saturday Night

FullSizeRender_2 (3)

Inspiration, the fuel for writers, is everywhere. This was my Saturday night in my little mountain town. Don’t be surprised if you come across a similar scene in my WIP.  And of course, don’t try this at home!

The Fire Maiden

Before night rose and a gibbous moon bloomed in the branches, the laird serves barrels of golden elixir and a banquet to sate eager watchers. His dominion is ancient, revered, a relic and ruin of glory past. Bull frogs call from green waters, and birds of the goddess bleed on the walls with cryptic messages and jesters.

fe531e237c19aa1fd11380c2c643d53d

Darkness arrives with candlelight and the flames leap.

FullSizeRender

Enter the Fire Maiden and her minions.

FullSizeRender_4 (2)

Those who beheld the dance in years past stood back knowing the heat would gust and sear.

FullSizeRender_2 (4)

The fire entrances.

FullSizeRender (2)

She brings its power to life

FullSizeRender (3)

Transforms it into a living beast

FullSizeRender (2)

Flame scales the stone walls

FullSizeRender_1

Fire blooms in midair.

FullSizeRender_4 (4)

The blaze dances to her call

FullSizeRender (4)

She stands in the blast

FullSizeRender (1)

It consumes her and she laughs.

FullSizeRender_1 (4)

22 thoughts on “Creative Inspiration on Saturday Night

1. Wow, great photos, got my imagination going. Jean’s Writing

2. Erik says:

Isn’t it frightening to my other creative friends — those who see beyond the veil into hidden meaning and secrets and “the word as it might be” — to imagine a world in which one sees only what IS? Truly terrifying …

• Erik says:

* “… the WORLD as it might be …”

• I need to think about this a bit. I don’t know if it’s possible to see what IS since everything is filtered through layers of perception and experience. The proposition that what IS actually ISN’T can be frightening. It can also be exhilarating. A bottomless well for the fantasy writer for sure. Thanks for the thought provoking comment.

• Erik says:

Yes, I’m with you. I was thinking specifically of people who were at the same fire who saw … a fire and a lady stoking it. I agree that every person saw the fire and its connotations differently. But there are some in the world who see a fire, and some who see magic happening. I might compare it to people who hear a cello solo and, while aware of it, feel little; as opposed to people who hear a cello solo and breath differently.

3. That shows the power of the natural elements. My father was a fireman, and they respect the power of fire. They have to. The bigger the fire, the more alarms go out, and the more companies it takes to fight it. They use another natural element , water, to fight it. I can understand why religions use it and other natural elements in their services. Thinking fire, or any natural element, can be totally tamed is an illusion.

• Yes. Thanks for sharing that. We need those elements for survival and yet they can also cause devastating destruction. FYI – The fire maiden and her minions had fire extinguishers and water on hand. The danger was (mostly) an illusion 🙂

4. Damn, that was really impressive! Well done 🙂

5. Julie says:

What an imagination you have! Your choice of words is pure deliciousness. Storytelling is definitely your calling.

• Thank you, Julie. The place itself is magical with those trees. The lower walls are completely “tagged” with stunning graffiti by artists from all over the Northwest. You can see a glimpse of some of it in the pictures.

6. Wow…that is a majestic fire ! There is something so namelessly fascinating. We burned trash every night, mostly paper, in the 50’s and 60’s. It was a chore I was always volunteering to do. It might be the same thing that intrigues me about lightning…the danger and the power. Great post, Diana. Inspired. ☺

7. Rosanna says:

Diana, your muse is certainly inspired! This never happens to me, probably because I focus on writing non fiction. It makes me wonder where all these inspiration comes from…

8. Carrie Rubin says:

That fire does indeed look like a living creature. So vibrant and bold.