The Dragon Soul Trilogy – All 3 at once because I hate to wait.

Dragon Soul Trilogy Covers

Three years in the making!

I haven’t blabbed about my books for awhile, but this summer is a busy one for me with four, yep FOUR, books hitting the press in the next 8 weeks. I can hear the promotion groans coming through the airwaves, but I promise brevity while containing my glee. And I will attempt to entertain as well!

How did that happen? Weird timing, which I won’t belabor or fret over. My life unfolds willy-nilly, and I tend to amble along in near oblivion. I learn almost entirely by making mistakes, picking up the scattered shards, and fitting them back together into something more agreeable.

Here’s part of the answer:

image from brainworldmagazine.com

image from brainworldmagazine.com

There’s little I delight in more than reading a completed fantasy series. I take mini-vacations from reality to immerse myself in a story – the more pages the better. I ruminate over characters like a god and lover. Without a modicum of dignity, I luxuriate in the sensory richness of strange lands and the details that bring them to life. I am the story embodied.

After this testimonial, you might guess that I have a tantrum when I finish a book, discover it’s a serial, hop onto Amazon, and learn that the rest of the story isn’t written! What? Are you kidding me? Rats! It’s probably my deteriorating brain cells, but by the time the next installment is released, I’ll have lost all the luscious details that make these mega-tales so intense and real for me. I’ll have forgotten the secondary characters’ names completely.

image from lydiakang.blogspot.com

image from lydiakang.blogspot.com

Talk about literary torture. George RR Martin stands guilty of this heinous crime, as does Patrick Rothfuss, and a few others who have sucked me in and left me like a jilted lover. After the last time, I swore NEVER AGAIN, and have denied myself the pleasure of several well-acclaimed series until the day the authors  roll out the last of their tomes. Yes, Mark Lawrence and Brandon Sanderson, I mean you!

Well, golly, I’m no hypocrite. When writing the sequel to Myths of the Mirror, I told the publisher I wanted all three books of the Dragon Soul Trilogy to make their debut on the same day. That meant holding up the first two for the last. It took a long time, and I’m happy to say…they’re on their way…together.

Do you read incomplete serials? How the heck do you remember what happened a year ago?

29 thoughts on “The Dragon Soul Trilogy – All 3 at once because I hate to wait.

1. So, excited for you! I need to get to reading these! Congratulations!

2. Chris White says:

Wow … multiple in one go. I am full of admiration. 😁

3. Rosanna says:

Diana, blogging is already a huge challenge for me…I can’t even begin to write a few pages for a book…and you have four books hitting the press?You’re awesome, girl!

4. I usually read stand-alone books. I made an exception with the Harry Potter series. I didn’t start reading that series though until several books had already been published. All the best on your new series. You’re very inventive to try something different. 🙂

5. Sheron says:

Congratulations! I know how hard you worked and how long we have waited. Now the fun begins.

6. Congratulations on the upcoming release! How very exciting!

I don’t like reading series, mainly because after I read an instalment I generally like to cleanse my palate for a bit with something different, and then go back to the series later. So it bugs me when a book doesn’t complete the story because then when I make it back to book 2, same as you, I’ve forgotten a lot of what happened. I lost interest in George RR Martin for that very reason, I had completely lost the thread of who was who and what was happening….

If I could write quickly enough I’d probably have done the same as you and released several books at a time, but instead I’m making sure each book contains a complete story.

Good luck with the launches, hope they’re all roaring successes!

• Thanks for the comment, Celine. I also like to read (and write) stand-alone books. But I’m still experimenting too so anything is possible. In this case, the story just couldn’t fit in one or two books or they would have been HUGE. I probably won’t finish George RR Martin either (assuming he finishes the series at all).

7. Wow…you are your very own form of Netflix…releasing all episodes at once. Congrats and good luck !! ☺ Van

8. Congratulations and Wow! You go, girl.

9. I am really happy for you! With all hard work and waiting, it must feel like giving birth–to triplets 🙂

• Thank you. I feel a little like I’m in the delivery room and can’t wait to get it over with! Ha ha. Then comes all the work of raising them right so they can head off and survive in the wide world. Thanks for commenting!

Congratulations!! You should be so proud and definitely blab away. Brilliant achievement. I agree with you about reading a series in one go. Absolutely. If you enjoy the first in a series, you always go and look to buy the next asap, so good decision. Remember to take breaks between all the promotional work! Good luck :-))

11. Carrie Rubin says:

Wow, what a great feeling this must be! I’m sure it was difficult to wait, but it should pay off now. Congrats and good luck!

12. Wow, that’s amazing! Let me know if I can help with the launch 🙂

13. philipparees says:

I have often wondered what affect it might have had on the world if J.K.Rowling had died after the second or third Harry Potter. Would Bloomsbury have hired a ghost writer without the remotest idea of the fine planning still lurking in her head?

You say you hate to wait, but what else have you been doing all this writing while?

• Oh, writing more books of course! My challenge is waiting patiently for other people’s wonderful books. My brain is a sieve. I lose so many of the details if I have to wait a year for the next installment. It’s better for me to wait until the series is done 😉