The Terrible Night Before Christmas

787

This story won a Kellan Publishing challenge in Dec. 2014. It had to fall between 1000-1500 words, and use the following words/phrases: Santa Claus, Popcorn, Photo Album, Black Cat, Train, Slide, Police, Sled, Typewriter, Horn, Alarm, Church, Glue, Bow, Fire, Dragon.

The Terrible Night before Christmas

The whole escapade started with the black cat. Santa leaned forward in his rickety office chair, puffing on his stumpy pipe and wreathing his head in smoke. He pecked with two chubby fingers at his typewriter, finishing a last letter to a second-grader in the Bronx. The kid was bound for disappointment this year, the result of a spectacular imagination and a dose of new-fangled animation that left make-believe characters appearing plausible. A challenge for the elves who prided themselves on unabashed creativity.

Dear Chuck,

I hope you enjoy the train set, hand-carved by a master elf in my workshop. I realize you requested a live dragon, but creatures that breathe fire are not only exceedingly rare but generally discouraged in apartment buildings where they’re apt to smoke the place up if not burn it down. Be good and Merry Christmas.

Yours Truly,

Santa Claus

He slumped back in the worn seat, adding the letter to his “regrets” pile. That’s when the black cat appeared in the window, yowling to come in. Why a cat haunted the North Pole in the midst of winter was beyond him. No doubt, a practical joke offered up by the elves who reveled in some idle time now that this year’s orders were filled. He’d have to remember to check the sleigh’s bench for Insta-Glue. Last year’s mischief had cemented his britches to the seat, leaving him to deliver gifts in his skivvies.

He cranked open the window to let the creature in, hoping a blast of bad luck didn’t blow in with the snow. Not that he was superstitious, but Christmas Eve was the wrong time for screw-ups.

Just then, the alarm clock on the mantel burst into a raucous version of Jingle Bells, jolting him into action. He quickly slipped on his black boots, red coat and furry hat, crammed the letters in a back pocket, and kissed Mrs. Claus on the cheek before bolting out the door.

The sleigh stood ready, the reindeer harnessed and snorting in the crisp air. Behind the driver’s bench, the elves had wedged a dozen red sleds and a mountain of bulging sacks. Shiny bows and curlicues of ribbon peeked from the cinched openings, and the elves had sprinkled the entire load with magic dust as white as new-fallen snow.

Santa checked the seat and studied the reins. A quick inspection of the runners revealed not one string of tin cans, and he made certain the reindeer weren’t sporting cowbells. Finally, he hefted the bags of magic dust, and satisfied that they were full to the brim, he clambered up and took the reins for the long winter’s ride.

With deliveries to Canada wrapped up, Santa breezed through New England. He descended on New York long after the children were all nestled in their beds. He planned to work his way south to the tip of Patagonia and eventually west across the Pacific toward the International Date Line, the last leg of his journey. Despite the late hour, the Bronx sparkled. Light-entwined trees and storefront displays twinkled with color. Christmas trees glimmered behind darkened windows, and from above, the streetlights formed strands of holiday cheer.

The reindeer landed on the roof of Chuck’s apartment building, raising the ideal amount of clatter. Santa hopped down and did a few lumbar stretches for his back. He lifted a sack from the sleigh and reached into the final bag of magic dust, tossing a handful over his head. With a finger pressed to his nose, he nodded. And nothing happened.

Another handful. Nothing.

He tentatively licked a finger…”Sugar!” Santa scowled and shouted at the reindeer, “Those blasted elves are going to pay if I have to stuff every perky little head in the coal bin!”

After several minutes of ranting, he puffed up his rosy cheeks and blew out a sigh. He grabbed his set of emergency lock picks from the sleigh’s toolkit, slung the sack over a shoulder, and headed to the stairwell.

Quiet as a church mouse, he crept through the building, picking locks and sneaking into apartments. Dutifully, he ate gingerbread cookies and drank milk, packing carrots into his pockets. He stuffed carefully-hung stockings and unloaded his sack beneath the bright trees before tiptoeing back into the hallway and starting on the next door.

In Chuck’s apartment, the sugarplum cookies were homemade. Santa snacked first and then rearranged the presents beneath the tree, placing the train set and letter in front, and flanking it with gifts for the girls. He was just closing the door with a soft click when a light flipped on and he heard a tense voice, “Who’s there?”

Santa took off at a scamper, not glancing back as the apartment door opened. “Hey, you!” the voice yelled. “I’m calling the cops!”

As Santa ran, he cursed the naughty elves once again. In a panic, he burst through the building’s front door onto the snowy street and took off down the slick sidewalk, the bundle of toys bouncing on his back. His belly jiggled like jelly as he high-tailed it around a corner, trying not to slide into traffic. Police sirens wailed and a horn honked as he dashed across the street. Ducking into a narrow alley, he tripped on a filthy snow pile, whirled into a trashcan, and landed flat on his back in the city’s ashes and soot. Lights flashed as a police car screeched into the narrow entrance.

The fluorescent lighting in the police station gave Santa a headache. A plastic tree sat atop a file cabinet, decorated with looped strings of popcorn, and the remnants of a holiday celebration littered the desks.

Santa’s interrogation hadn’t gone well, his candid explanation regarding recent activities rendering him fingerprinted, photographed, and handcuffed to an interview table. His captors were arranging for a mental health evaluation and overnight accommodations, prospects that didn’t bode well for Christmas.

“We’re booking you on breaking and entering,” the tired-eyed detective stated. “Do you have an attorney?”

“I was delivering presents,” Santa explained again.

The man sipped from a cup of black coffee and ate snowman cookies from a paper plate. “Want one?”

“No, thanks, I’ve already eaten about two billion.”

“Yeah, right.” The detective shook his head wearily. “So you were delivering presents with a lock pick. Isn’t Santa supposed to use magic?”

“Ordinarily, yes,” Santa assured the man. “But the elves gave me sugar instead of magic dust.”

“Uh huh.”

“They’re ruthless pranksters,” Santa explained. “Last year they glued me to the sleigh.”

“Uh huh. And the carrots we found stuffed in your pockets are for the reindeer?”

“Precisely.”

“What about the sack of presents?” the detective asked. “Some children are going to wake up without gifts under the tree.”

Santa heaved a sigh and scratched his cherry nose. “Only if I don’t finish my route. I’ve two continents to cover before dawn.”

“That’s only three hours from—“

The interview room door opened and a uniformed woman entered. She leaned over the table and whispered in the detective’s ear. His chin drew back as he frowned at her. “Is this a joke?”

“Nope. Eight tiny reindeer. I counted.”

“On the roof?”

She shrugged. “And a miniature sleigh filled with presents.”

“Stolen?” the incredulous man asked.

“No one’s missing anything,” she informed him. “In fact, they report unexplained gifts.”

“Holy…moly.”

While both officers stared at Santa, he raised his eyebrows and smoothed his white beard. “I have a route to finish if you don’t mind.”

“Uh…yeah…okay. I guess.” The detective unlocked his cuffs. The pair not only escorted him from the station but drove him back to the apartment building. With the officers in tow, he hiked the stairs to the snowy roof. The reindeer pranced and pawed their hoofs, impatient with the delay.

“You should probably get rid of this,” the detective said, handing him a folder. “We’ll just pretend it never happened if that’s alright with you.”

Santa accepted the folder, and after they removed the yellow police tape from the sleigh, he passed each of them a gift from his sack. “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas,” the two murmured in unison.

With a twinkle of his eye, Santa mounted his sleigh. He whistled and shouted the reindeer’s names. Eagerly, the team dashed to the edge of the roof and leapt. The sleigh dipped, and then the harnesses snapped taut as the reindeer flew up over the city rooftops with their sleigh full of toys.

As the dawning sky pearled the horizon, Santa left the team in the elves’ care, too tired at the moment to exact his revenge. Mrs. Claus met him at the door and took the folder as he unbuttoned his coat and kicked off his boots. “My, my,” she exclaimed. “Here’s one for the photo album.”

Santa glanced at his mug shot as he plotted this year’s retaliation, a merry grin curving his lips like a bow. “Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho.”

83 thoughts on “The Terrible Night Before Christmas

1. lisakunk says:

I’m a sucker for Hallmark Christmas movies and happy endings. Thanks for sharing.

2. Dahlia says:

A thoroughly enjoyable story.

3. reocochran says:

Diana, what a perfect Christmas story and I would like to know what Santa gave the two policemen?
    I wondered if they would join rhe elves on the Naughty List? Ho ho ho! 😉
    I like the calm way Mrs. Claus greets her husband and her comment about his mug shot and folder!
    Hope it was a jolly holiday, D! Happy New Year, too.

• Thanks for reading my silly Santa story, Robin. I have no idea what the officers got from Santa, but it was probably perfect. Perhaps next year Santa will get his revenge on the elves! Ho ho ho 😀

4. Delightful story, Diana — and congratulations on the honors it won.
    Merry Christmas to you and yours. Hugs.

5. Reblogged this on Musings on Life & Experience and commented:
    A Christmas story from D. Wallace Peach.

6. Steph McCoy says:

This is one of the best stories I’ve read on Santa. Who’d thought elves could be so mischievous?

7. OH! Fun! “Last year they glued me to the sleigh.” 😀 Hahaha!

• I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Sarah. Those elves are terrible pranksters. Santa’s pretty good about the whole misadventure, though. I’ll have to come up with a new Christmas story next year – maybe “Santa’s Revenge” 😀

Ho ho ho indeed. Great story, Diana. Elves, of course, should never be trusted. 🙂

9. philipparees says:

I don’t often regret having no grandchildren but reading this story provided one of them. A very happy Christmas with yours.

Oh, Diana, I loved this Christmas story…became engrossed in Santa’s woes, his trials at the hands of the police but yeah, finally finished his deliveries. What revenge will he plan for those naughty elves, I wonder? 😀

11. A delightfully ‘clean’ naughty Christmas story. Merry, Merry to you and yours. I know how much fun the holiday is with your precious grandson. 🙂 xo

• Same to you, Pam ☃️ ⛄️ ❄️ Tornado Boy helped us put up the tree and it was so cute watching him break ornaments, oops. Ha ha. I haven’t started shopping yet – so bad. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your grandies as well. 🙂 ☃️ ⛄️ ❄️

12. What a great story, thank you for sharing it! The magic of Christmas is alive for sure! Merry Christmas Diana! p.s. did you get much snow with the snow storm on Wednesday? We got 16 inches at our house and another inch today.

13. Joanne Sisco says:

Great story. I hope there will be a followup about Santa’s revenge 😉

14. What a great Santa Story. I enjoyed it very much. Thank so much for posting it.

15. Phil Ryan says:

Oh to be a kid again! Great story, D, beautifully written.

16. Priceless! 🙂 Thank you for sharing, Diana. Loved the story.

17. What fun. I’m rethinking my lack-of-belief in Santa.

18. Mick Canning says:

Very nice story, Diana. You write a kinder Santa than I do!

19. Val Boyko says:

Oh what fun it is …..
    Great story Diana 🎅

20. noelleg44 says:

Definitely a winner and I loved the prank playing elves!

21. I enjoyed that. Well done, ma’am. 🙂

22. Reblogged this on Myths of the Mirror and commented:

This story started circulating again and I thought I might as well repost. Tis the season, after all. A Happy Christmas to all and to all a good night!

23. Wonderful! Must share… Wishing you a Very Merry Christ! 🙂

24. Reblogged this on saywhatumean2say and commented:
    A brilliant Xmas present. THANK YOU~ ~~dru~~

25. What a wonderful Xmas present you just gave me….THANK YOU! ~~dru~~

26. Bernadette says:

I will never look at that snitch “The Elf On The Shelf” at the same way again. Thank you for the jewel of a tale.

27. Reblogged this on Nesie's Place and commented:
    Those Darn Elves! LOL! Enjoy!

28. Prankster elves! LOL! Enjoyed this!

Merry Christmas! 🎄

29. cindy knoke says:

You are brilliant and hilarious. Meeting people like you make blogging such a gift.

30. Reblogged this on Art by Rob Goldstein and commented:
    Santa has a run in with the law….:)

31. A Christmas story for modern children—and more than a few adults. Happy Holidays!

32. Belinda Crane says:

D … I love it! I grinned the whole time I read it! “No, thanks, I’ve already eaten about two billion” got one of my explosive “Ha’s!” You really should re-share this for Christmas. It’s brilliant. I love your writing voice!

33. Only now did I come across this gem of a Christmas story. Excellent! 😀

34. I had a great time in December with these short story prompts. It was a nice break from novel-writing when the days were too hectic to focus on big chunks of material. It was also fun to finish something in a week versus a year!

35. Ocean Bream says:

I really enjoyed reading this, it was fun and very visual!

36. Kentucky Angel says:

Enjoyed this immensity; and really loved the laughs.. Thanks for visiting my blog, and you can bet I’ll be back to read yours more often.

37. Poor Santa! I can see why this story was a prize winner. It’s excellent. Naughty elves.

38. Diana, I really enjoyed this story. I can see why it won the contest. Merry Christmas to you and yours. 🙂 — Suzanne